Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yeah, too bad there are only, like, 8 of them in the entire game. Iron weeds and crimson poppies OTOTH...:argh:

Deleted Member 16721

I had this working on an Nvidia Shield tablet before, perfectly. Bow to me and my tablet skillz, mortals. :)

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What governs attribute points per level? Some of my characters can get three, while others only get at most two no matter how many times I save scummed. I skimmed the three FAQs on gamefaq and didn't see this answered, or at least nothing jumped out.

Intelligence affects how many Skill Points you get, but not entirely certain about Attribute Points. Even the manual is vague about it, just saying "various things" (or something similar) affect the amount you get.

I pumped up intelligence and have the lowest at 8 and highest at 15. Everyone gets 1 skill point. How many did you get on level up? At least 3, right?
Depends. If you are multi-classing your char. will get 1 hp + 1 sp until their level exceeds their previous class level. In game solution is to train in the guilds. A level 1 skill costs 500 gold, lvl 2 and up costs more increasing or decreasing by percent of level.
12 intelligence is sweet 3 skill pts. I think 8 gets you 2. Stats increase by some weighted system. Not sure how that goes but appears to be that once a char. has a certain # of total stat. pts the chance to get 2 pts or more decreases. Again, stats can be bought and ankhs can be applied.
Frustratingly great game. Runs great on win7 from GoG w/patches.
Funny moment: my party is working its way through serpent temple. Just finish tough battle. Wizard is clicking items on ground and voila he targets a roach and fires off a flamestrike which murders several party members low on health.
Last save hours ago. Now thats fun. Almost as fun as getting crunched by elevators. The real bosses in W&Ws are ladders. Beware the Mavin ladder ))

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
So I'm going to start a playthrough of this tomorrow and I'm just curious if I should go 3 fighters, thief, cleric, wizard or go 2 fighters, thief, cleric, 2 wizards.

How good is magic in this?
Magic is really strong. I went w 2 fighters 2 clerics 2 wizards. A barbarian is easy to ascend to and gets lock pick skill.

Wizards just own everything but some bosses are best left to taste cold steel.

Remember if your lock picker ascends to a non-rogue class they are unable to equip or use lock picks.
Chests can be opened via vinecraft lvl 4 and 5 spells iirc.

Monks! Are a great mid lvl class But! dont enter a town until the 2 days are up or they reset...learned that the hard way.

Keep sorcery skill on par with spell levels otherwise your char. won't unlock higher spells.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
If you thought wizardry 6 was racy just wait until you meet Lysandra the naughty Vampiress. Her scantily clad body beckons you to her. She coos for a cuddle and gives a bone dildo to be used on her. I guess crpgaddict wont like this title once he gets to the castle )

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been playing around with the GOG version today. I'm using a lower DPI mouse these days so no issues with mouse input like before. But yeah, this is the only game I ever played, I think, where 640 X 480 resolution looks much better and sharper than 1024 X 768. Weird.

HOBORG

Barely Literate
Hi.
I played this game few times in the past, but newer finished it. My biggest issue was a skills. If you change class multiple times, you will get more skill that fit on skills page and there is no way how to scroll. So there were no way how to increase them while leveling up. It was possible to increase them by teachers, but not all of them can be trained.
That was not fixed in GOG version, right?

HOBORG

Barely Literate
BTW, i just install GOG version on Win10 and setup Glide. In game i changed rendering to software and graphics looking good, correct aspect ratio and no missing textures on NPCs. Mouse is also working fine. Only scrolling in cities left/right is too fast.
Time to play it again in solo mode :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you play in hardware mode you can get higher resolution and those fancy 3D light effects. In some areas look great, in others look worse, so your mileage may vary:

lZfVa2l.png
Zv79RGi.png

And no, W&W still has the issue with too many skills. It has a ton of issues like that, I love this game but all its systems completely fall apart halfway. It desperately needs a fan patch. There's one that fix those insta-kill plants (which I recommend), but it does nothing for how weak all monsters are in melee, or how you need to plan your classes and levels carefully, or you might lock yourself out of the most important spells in the game, like teleport and breathing underwater.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The major problem with running W&W in higher resolution is that the scaling is god awful. It's clear that all of the 2D art (interface) was drawn at 640x480, and so scaling it anything above that results in disgusting scaling artifacts covering everything but the 3D window in the middle.

HOBORG

Barely Literate
[QUOTE="It desperately needs a fan patch. There's one that fix those insta-kill plants (which I recommend), but it does nothing for how weak all monsters are in melee, or how you need to plan your classes and levels carefully, or you might lock yourself out of the most important spells in the game, like teleport and breathing underwater.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Anyone here who can start such fan project? I can help with testing, but i have no idea how to code such patch :/

Ravielsk

Magister
Is there any way to increase the resolution to something like 1600x900 or is it just stuck at default options the game has?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You don't need to be a master hacker, there's a tool to edit most of the game files: http://jeffludwig.com/wizardswarriors/editor-basics.php

You won't be able to change core systems like how class change works, but balancing monsters melee attack and nerfing bullshit spells would already improve the game drastically.

Most importantly, being able to skip the class quest shenanigans while talking to town's NPC would improve the game a lot already.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd played this game thru twice already, second time with a guide. Was using a (very good) guide for the third time through a couple years ago and *still* found a big hidden area in Serpent Temple that wasn't in either one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom