Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information World of Aden: Thunderscape Available on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: GOG; Thunderscape

Today's new release from GOG is Thunderscape, a World of Aden RPG released by SSI in 1995 and one of the first turn-based RPGs with free movement, later followed by the likes of Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors. The price is $5.99, and apart from the voiced English version you also get German and French as additional languages (text-only). This being one of my first RPGs, I'm definitely buying this and trying to find some time for a replay in the near future.

What's cool about it:
  • A classic 90s-era dungeon-crawling role-playing game flavored with a distinctly steampunk feel.
  • Control a party of up to six heroes of various races and skills.
  • Enjoy raucous combat during turn-based battles, as well as brain-bending puzzles.
Overview:

All is not well in the world of Aden. The Darkfall stains the land with its hellspawn, the mindless horrors only known as nocturnals. Warriors tested by combat and steel ride across battered lands to battle these vile hordes Sneaky rogues and ruthless inquisitors seek out traitors in corrupted cities and towns. Powerful mechamages wield deadly contraptions of steam welded with magic. All of this will be for naught unless a true hero rises and leads the way out of the encroaching darkness!

Thunderscape is a first-person dungeon-crawling RPG filled to the brim with only the most prestigious turn-based combat and real-time exploration. Create and customize a party of six adventurers with 8 races and 11 character classes to choose from. Challenge your intellect and skill as you avoid deadly traps and solve mind-bending puzzles. Thunderscape is a precious jewel in the Strategic Simulations crown and it is our pleasure to bring it to you once more. Will you fight to save the magical and wondrous world of Aden from the Darkfall?​

"Prestigious turn-based combat", eh? I bet it was JudasIscariot who wrote that overview. ; )

Grab the game here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorateen

Arcane
This being one of my first RPGs, I'm definitely buying this and trying to find some time for a replay

And I think you mean time for a Let's Play!

Thunderscape was really good. It should be noted that the player creates 4 heroes, and then there are 2 spots available for NPCs to join the party.

It's a tragedy that the series was not able to be continued.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

One of the best videos on Youtube. Make sure your sound is turned way up.

Alchemist

Arcane
Holy shit this looks awesome. Good thing I like noisy industrial music.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Woah, I pride myself in my RPG knowledge and I never heard of this before. Thank you so much, CBEE! ... Cbee?

I watched c-bees glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate...

Mortmal

Arcane
Its completely forgotten cause its an original setting, same setting as entomorph , so its not bad at all but as usual it doesnt pay . SSI stopped making rpgs after publishing those games if i remember well. Those 3D games really age very bad, on a small you tube video it already looks very pixelated , imagine full screen on a modern monitor now.

belated

Augur
Thunderscape was really good. It should be noted that the player creates 4 heroes, and then there are 2 spots available for NPCs to join the party.

Did anyone not replace all the player-created chars with NPCs eventually? I know I did.

IIRC there are 7 NPCs and only 6 spots, so the android/golem or Bert had to be axed. (Wasn't the first NPC Feros (?) required?)

Edit: I see two of the NPCs are actually just temps, so I guess I was stuck with one PC at the end.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Woah, I pride myself in my RPG knowledge and I never heard of this before. Thank you so much, CBEE! ... Cbee?

I watched c-bees glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate...

100_3887.JPG
100_3889.JPG

From my personal collection....:cool:

Dorateen

Arcane

Did anyone not replace all the player-created chars with NPCs eventually? I know I did.

IIRC there are 7 NPCs and only 6 spots, so the android/golem or Bert had to be axed. (Wasn't the first NPC Feros (?) required?)

Theros was the first NPC, plot required for the struggle against the Nocturnals. But I would prefer the opposite, dropping the two NPC slots, and create all six like an SSI Gold Box game.

belated

Augur
Sure, but unless my memory is shot the NPCs were much better. Handy when taking forever to navigate the maps (due to the shitty 3D map viewer) and always running into enemies.

Gods, that sewer map...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Entomorph is very different than Thunderscape. Plays more as a single character adventure game than a full party cRPG.
I know. I liked the atmosphere and the gore, though. Does Thunderscape also have such over the top gore and cool insect stuff?

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Entomorph is very different than Thunderscape. Plays more as a single character adventure game than a full party cRPG.
I know. I liked the atmosphere and the gore, though. Does Thunderscape also have such over the top gore and cool insect stuff?
Not really. It plays much more like a typical fantasy cRPG but I still find it enjoyable, just not groundbreaking.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Never played it, but it should be on my play list later this year.
It looks better than the Ravenloft games and Menzoberensan. I hope it is.

mindx2

Patron
Never played it, but it should be on my play list later this year.
It looks better than the Ravenloft games and Menzoberensan. I hope it is.
I enjoyed it more than both of those. It feels a little linear and the plot is nothing to remember but I enjoyed the encounters and "dungeon crawling."

UnknownBro

Savant
How can anyone really play this pixelated crap classic? Seriously?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom