Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Cromwell

Arcane
No one has a unique ability

thats the absolute worst part about the game. It dos not matter one bit what job you play its just "do damage" which you do by clicking everything int he right order fast enough and then starting over. On paper its the same in wow and I assume in most other themepark MMOs but all the jobs also feel the same. its absolutely horrible and I cant get back into it although I would like to finish at least the main story. I still would rather play wow in comparision.

Eould be possible recolonize Argus? True the legion was done but the place still recks of Fel magic.

In the Argus patch there were hourly events where a portal would open up and you could go to a differenent planet and fight a world boss. It gave the impression that the universe still had some pockets of resistance besides azeroth and azeroth was already getting too small for all the adventures (seriously, how many fucking times have we gone to Uldaman. I don't know why the devs beat that old horse so much). My hope was that we could get on a ship and start sailing the universe.

Sargeras is not dead, so they will still go one of two routes: Burning Crusade 3.0 or Sargeras redemption story where he now fights The Void Lords™. As for the old gods, they'll keep coming back because they can't be killed without destroying Azeroth because Blizzard writers need to rehash the same story beats over and over again.

Burning Crusade3.0? Not even Blizz is stupid enough to go that route. Legion really felt like the end to WoW 1.0. That was the point where you drop everything and make WoW 2.0. But I guess this trashfire still needs to burn a little more.

Nah i play ff14
Mein black-mage. I started enjoying FFXIV because it's far from a hard game and the visuals , enemies, landscapes were just gorgeous to look at. Class rotation was all about weaving and all classes are a DPS, healers sometimes heal and tanks pull damage away but you all must chip in.
Also, regarding the hyper wokeness - there is that LOOK AT THE FLAMING HOMO mandatory quest you need to do but the gay centaurs? Jesus, each day the game disappoints me more and more. I don't know how people that play even read the quest descriptions any more.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Also, regarding the hyper wokeness - there is that LOOK AT THE FLAMING HOMO mandatory quest you need to do but the gay centaurs? Jesus, each day the game disappoints me more and more. I don't know how people that play even read the quest descriptions any more.
In FF14 you still have genders in character creation, no "body type 1&2". I also don't remember a single gay relationship in the story. There seems to be a policy for all NPC to not have relationships at all. So the player can ship their character with whoever they want.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow lore had a lot of retcons in the past years the setting dont make sense anymore.

They need to find excuse why LoreCharacter#99 now becomes batshit insane and gonna destroy the world for a big raid where Alliance and Horde work together.

Literally done this since BC even. And with time goes it's getting worse and worse what excuse plot they need to do. Shadowland with the "all new previously unknow afterlife" probably takes the cake tho.

Literally done this since BC even. And with time goes it's getting worse and worse what excuse plot they need to do. Shadowland with the "all new previously unknow afterlife" probably takes the cake tho.
Blizzard, or at least nu-blizzard, doesn't know how to do wild and esoteric locations. Part of it is the engine, they need to reinvent themselves again using the same old models from 15 years ago; and part of it is that they don't have the writing chops for a larger than life tale. They are decent at making small stories at smaller hub locations but having them write a cosmology is beyond them. Worse is Chris Metzen's insistence that "Everything Bad is LE CORRUPTIONZZZZ". Why are orcs savage brutes that need an excuse to go raping and pillaging? Demons. Why does a dragon go insane and try to take over the world? Old gods.

Maybe orcs chimp out because they are orcs and maybe elves decide to genocide non-elves because they are elves. Mature writing would address this problem head on and would give the audience some grounds to think of an answer: is Azeroth big enough for both of us? You orcs came to our land with an excuse to rape an pillage because you destroyed your own world, why should we adopt you? Is it our moral duty to teach you the way of the light so you stop raping and pillaging? Can you even stop or will you go back to your roots the moment we aren't looking? Should all orc-kind pay for the sins of Guldan, Nerzul and Blackhand? Should we send you to a different world, planet, dimension and let you fend for yourself?

But no, muh humans bad, muh internment camps. Garrosh was the one Orc that you could actually respect: never compromising and doing the tough choices, which is why Blizzard decided to turn him to ash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nb3q1oROOg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With WotLK, is interesting how people who aren't paying a sub fee are getting teh superior product without the woke BS and with a proper dungeon finding.

Puukko

Arcane
I completely tuned out of the story a few hours into leveling. Can confirm everything above, tonally it's an infantilized mess and the rot has set in even deeper. The only thing that's relevant for me is M+ since that's what I'll be doing with bros, while raiding in Classic. The rest of the game can very well just be dressing and I won't care at this point.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

But also since they redid the assets they could have done a different style. The current artstyle is just atrocious to watch. They don't even bother to make higher resolution texture for the body armor only the pauldrons look more high rez. Not even mentioning that most of the time the "armor" is just a texture painted on the body.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I completely tuned out of the story a few hours into leveling. Can confirm everything above, tonally it's an infantilized mess and the rot has set in even deeper. The only thing that's relevant for me is M+ since that's what I'll be doing with bros, while raiding in Classic. The rest of the game can very well just be dressing and I won't care at this point.
Bobby thanks you for your patronage.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've actually, out of boredom, made a worgen druid and currently am very slowly leveling him through starting zone. It's fun. As far as my memory goes low lvl experience was always decent in retail WoW, provided you take your time and don't rush the process (through dungeons and so on).

Myobi

Liturgist
I don't know what the fuck you guys on about, Blizzard sells you a video game, charges you to play it and then charges you to NOT play it because its boring.

It's amazing! ...and it makes me wonder how the fuck am I poor as fuck with so many people willing to throw money at every fucking dumb shit they stumble upon.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I don't know what the fuck you guys on about, Blizzard sells you a video game, charges you to play it and then charges you to NOT play it because its boring.

It's amazing! ...and it makes me wonder how the fuck am I poor as fuck with so many people willing to throw money at every fucking dumb shit they stumble upon.
Granted i stopped to play wow on Wotlk and never went back. But today there are better mmo to play around if you are into it. Way better in fact. Is that WOW manages to create a sense of Stockholm syndrome releasing little content expansion and often timegate progress behind useless waste of time stuff to farm (In BFA was Azherite. In Shadowlands was soul conduits.) Then you reach the supposed end game do raids and get top gear. After you got that top gear another patch drops giving you a new raid already making your shiny obtained gear absolutely obsolete to then kinda reset your gearing progression in the next expansion.

The fan will always say: They will patch it. They will fix it. Next expansion will change everything. But in the end, is just that they are sniffing pure crystalline copium.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Does it bother you to be giving money to fund further development of this type of product made by people who can't stand you?

Puukko

Arcane

Does it bother you to be giving money to fund further development of this type of product made by people who can't stand you?
Yes, but all the friends I've made and good times I've had with them through this game over the years far outweigh that, as well as any possible regrets about time spent.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Then you reach the supposed end game do raids and get top gear. After you got that top gear another patch drops giving you a new raid already making your shiny obtained gear absolutely obsolete to then kinda reset your gearing progression in the next expansion.
You fail to realize that's a perfectly fine gameplay loop. And the reason they can get away with scarcity of content and shitty practices is that the "way better mmos" didn't do that basic part right. People try the other games but majority come back or quit. Pretending the other games are way better but people suck doesn't help anyone except Blizzard.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Then you reach the supposed end game do raids and get top gear. After you got that top gear another patch drops giving you a new raid already making your shiny obtained gear absolutely obsolete to then kinda reset your gearing progression in the next expansion.
You fail to realize that's a perfectly fine gameplay loop. And the reason they can get away with scarcity of content and shitty practices is that the "way better mmos" didn't do that basic part right. People try the other games but majority come back or quit. Pretending the other games are way better but people suck doesn't help anyone except Blizzard.
Doesn't seem the case with modern wow... The player base were declining since before Shadowlands. Hardcore raiders are not the majority of the game either. And you play wow solely for the raiding and when i said raiding i say Mythic plus because the rest is just garbage in terms of endgame content.

J1M

Arcane

I haven't paid for any blizzard products since they introduced the WoW token.

The mount coomers cover my tab.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

When the meme becomes real. Literally gay frogs.
f1r5v6wrohi91.jpg

But today there are better mmo to play around if you are into it.

Any mmo with a better warlock than wow?

Guild Wars 1 and 2 lets you play as a Necromancer and you can run around with a half dozen minions following you. However, you do not have precise pet control over your minions like pet classes in WoW. WoW's Warlock has more flavor with the unique Fel aesthetic and lore, the lengthy demon summoning, and being able to cannibalize your demons.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I've actually, out of boredom, made a worgen druid and currently am very slowly leveling him through starting zone. It's fun. As far as my memory goes low lvl experience was always decent in retail WoW, provided you take your time and don't rush the process (through dungeons and so on).
Worgen's starting zone is still one of the better ones in my opinion. Really good atmosphere, pacing and the quests are for the most part well designed and scripted. It also takes itself more seriously unlike the goblin one which is full of "LUL SO RANDUM". If I recall correctly they even explain a little bit of the worgen curse which I was surprised by as I usually expect them to leave that for the novels/comics.

Worgen's starting zone is still one of the better ones in my opinion. Really good atmosphere, pacing and the quests are for the most part well designed and scripted. It also takes itself more seriously unlike the goblin one which is full of "LUL SO RANDUM". If I recall correctly they even explain a little bit of the worgen curse which I was surprised by as I usually expect them to leave that for the novels/comics.
I wonder how the devs will adress how PROBLEMATIC the goblin starter zone is. After all, if you chose a male goblin his love interest will be female and vice versa. These regressive views have NO PLACE within our modern sensibilities.

But seriously, the starting zone was a mess. The whole, CEO of a cola company was dumb but I like their an-cap fantasy island that gets destroyed by deathwing. Then getting shipwrecked and getting the shaft by the alliance when gobbos were usually neutral to the horde/alliance business makes sense they join the Horde. But fighting alongside green Jesus was another dumb point. And not killing the asshole in charge of the goblin faction was what led us to BFA, so another dumb moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom