Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Dr1f7

Scholar
feeling very disappointed in 7.25 million people
Most of those are bots anyway.
oh yeah i guess ur right there's a ton of gold farm bots
suppose i could forgive the classic wow players too, but really they should be playing on private servers and not giving blizz $$

Caim

Arcane
feeling very disappointed in 7.25 million people
Most of those are bots anyway.
oh yeah i guess ur right there's a ton of gold farm bots
suppose i could forgive the classic wow players too, but really they should be playing on private servers and not giving blizz $$
Which works until Blizzard's lawyers show up and threaten to crush your balls if you don't take the private server offline.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Which works until Blizzard's lawyers show up and threaten to crush your balls if you don't take the private server offline.
nah these servers have been up for years blizz can't do shit and even if they do somehow get shut down, others will pop up in their place

Hobknobling

Learned
nah these servers have been up for years blizz can't do shit and even if they do somehow get shut down, others will pop up in their place
The dick flattening has usually only happened if the owner is making money out of running the server and lives in a country where Activision-Blizzard can reach them.

TedNugent

Arcane
I just want to whine about something and see if you guys shit on me for it.

When I was playing this game I was always completely flabbergasted by the sheer number of keybinds. In the context of any other game, it was absurd how many unique key binds this game asked of you, most of which were highly situational or 1+ minute cooldowns. While a lot of the time, that means I wasn't pressing them, in contrast to my core rotation which I was spamming on GCD, that was still a lot of fucking keyboard real estate. For reference, when I was at my most mad, playing Gladiator Warrior (rest in peace), I was hitting something like 85-93 APM, for context (most classes sat around 60-ish).

I think it's not too far out of bounds to say that the comfortable keys to hit on the keyboard are maybe keys ` through 6, tab, WASD + Q, E, R, F, G, Z, X, C. That's 12 keys not counting movement keys. On a typical gaymer mouse, you have maybe 3-4 mouse buttons available for free binds.

When I was playing Warrior, I had something like 27 key binds. Not including on active trinkets. It was to the point where I would try to swerve towards passive trinkets, even if they were explicitly not BiS, and avoid talents which necessitated extra keybinds, because I had nowhere to fucking put them. Or I would try to macro together at least offensive cooldowns (defensives were usually too situational), which obviously leads to a reduction in versatility and potentially performance.

I remember the one patch long ago that was intended to address button bloat by pruning some of the lesser used and weird skills like beast tracking and other weird flavor shit.

But the button bloat parade continued relentlessly with each patch often adding yet more keybinds, including 45 second cooldown abilities that are part of critical mini-burst windows, and therefore necessitating a core rotation keybind. Worse, many of them are on GCD and often de-synced with major burst cooldowns.

Shift+button binds never worked well for me, being way too awkward and clunky. IMHO, an "MMO mouse" with 12 numbered side buttons is a necessity for World of Warcraft. The only game that I've come across that was close to as bad about this was Warhammer Age of Reckoning/RoR.

Does anyone else feel this way, and/or think I'm an idiot for thinking this? Please give me random funny rating skittle buttons and troll me for this opinion, thanks.

Yes, the button bloat is an issue, though it depends greatly on what role you are playing.

I main prot paladin in mythic+ dungeons, which means that I am also responsible for using my several utility buttons to heal and cleanse my party members. I have 3 hotbars, with bars 1 and 2 primarily used for gameplay and bar 3 for cosmetics. I have keys 1 through 6 assigned to my core rotation (building holy power and spending it on shield of the righteous). F1 through F4 are for my interrupt, stun, AoE disorient, and taunt ability. I have ~ assigned to Blessing of Freedom which can either be used as a speed boost or to free another party member from CC. CRTL + W activates Divine Steed. Pressing G casts Word of Glory which I use to offheal other players. I have several other buttons on my 2 hotbars, but they are not mapped and I instead click them with my mouse (blessing of salvation, Divine Shield, battle rez, my two damage mitigation trinkets (rotating your defensive CD and trinkets is more effective than using passive defensive trinkets), my combat elixir and heal potion, etc. I tried building my talent tree to avoid acquiring as many new unnecessary buttons as possible, even if it meant not taking capstone talents like Divine Toll. Now with Ret paladin, you can replace the two active damage mitigation trinkets with passive damage boost trinkets, but you will still have a lot of buttons taken up by your utility spells.

When I played Frost DK for MoP Remix and got the Mythic Garrosh kill, I had far less buttons to manage. No word of glory or lay on hands or hand of protection or blessing of salvation and all that. I was able to pretty comfortably fit almost all of the combat buttons I use into ~ through 6, F1 through F4, CRTL + W, and G. In fact, I wound up taking some extra capstone talents like Breath of Sindragosa because I had room in my keybinds to spare. The only one I had to click was Icebound Fortitude (defensive CD).

IIRC Beastmaster hunter has the fewest buttons in the game.

I do prefer not having so many buttons. GW2's 10 button limit is much more comfortable, but that doesn't hamstring class design. Elementalist and Untamed can press F1 or F3 to change their abilities to different ones in mid combat, so your class has just as many but you do not have to have them all keybound at once.

Does anyone else feel this way, and/or think I'm an idiot for thinking this? Please give me random funny rating skittle buttons and troll me for this opinion, thanks.
Remember in TBC when you could macro hunter to basically be 1-2 buttons. Those were the days.

I don't care for the button bloat and I don't even play modern WoW but aside from shift modifiers I also used alt modifiers though obviously not for every binding - alt+5/6 for example is just too awkward.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Out of sheer curiosity, I recently dabbled into WoW Retail, just to refresh my memory, and...

:what:

The fuck have they done to this game? It's completely different to how I remembered it. It plays like a Diablo clone. And where are the trainers? Oh right, they outright removed them. Everything feels steroid up and dumbed down at the same time. Where is the fun in that?

Makes only Vanilla Private Server the only viable option left. The fuck Blizzard...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Remember in TBC when you could macro hunter to basically be 1-2 buttons. Those were the days.

I don't care for the button bloat and I don't even play modern WoW but aside from shift modifiers I also used alt modifiers though obviously not for every binding - alt+5/6 for example is just too awkward.
Lol, if you want to reduce your class to a one button macro, it's much easier to do so now on retail.

Install GSE addon, go to wowlazymacros, copy paste a macro from the many available, and you are done.

J1M

Arcane
I just want to whine about something and see if you guys shit on me for it.

When I was playing this game I was always completely flabbergasted by the sheer number of keybinds. In the context of any other game, it was absurd how many unique key binds this game asked of you, most of which were highly situational or 1+ minute cooldowns. While a lot of the time, that means I wasn't pressing them, in contrast to my core rotation which I was spamming on GCD, that was still a lot of fucking keyboard real estate. For reference, when I was at my most mad, playing Gladiator Warrior (rest in peace), I was hitting something like 85-93 APM, for context (most classes sat around 60-ish).

I think it's not too far out of bounds to say that the comfortable keys to hit on the keyboard are maybe keys ` through 6, tab, WASD + Q, E, R, F, G, Z, X, C. That's 12 keys not counting movement keys. On a typical gaymer mouse, you have maybe 3-4 mouse buttons available for free binds.

When I was playing Warrior, I had something like 27 key binds. Not including on active trinkets. It was to the point where I would try to swerve towards passive trinkets, even if they were explicitly not BiS, and avoid talents which necessitated extra keybinds, because I had nowhere to fucking put them. Or I would try to macro together at least offensive cooldowns (defensives were usually too situational), which obviously leads to a reduction in versatility and potentially performance.

I remember the one patch long ago that was intended to address button bloat by pruning some of the lesser used and weird skills like beast tracking and other weird flavor shit.

But the button bloat parade continued relentlessly with each patch often adding yet more keybinds, including 45 second cooldown abilities that are part of critical mini-burst windows, and therefore necessitating a core rotation keybind. Worse, many of them are on GCD and often de-synced with major burst cooldowns.

Shift+button binds never worked well for me, being way too awkward and clunky. IMHO, an "MMO mouse" with 12 numbered side buttons is a necessity for World of Warcraft. The only game that I've come across that was close to as bad about this was Warhammer Age of Reckoning/RoR.

The playerbase chimps out if an ability is removed. And if they don't get new buttons every 2 years.

I've never liked having 10 different damage spells. Needless complexity.

PS: latest beta added more keybind slots, lol

Zinloz

Novice
Haven't tried an MMO mouse with all the buttons (looks dumb as shit and I assume it's awful to use/inaccurate). I have two buttons on the side which are bound to shift and ctrl. Using ~ through 6 and some keys near WASD gives you a ton of options with shift/ctrl modifiers.

Anyway, you're not wrong. The number of keybinds needed in many MMOs feels bad to actually play.

J1M

Arcane
Haven't tried an MMO mouse with all the buttons (looks dumb as shit and I assume it's awful to use/inaccurate). I have two buttons on the side which are bound to shift and ctrl. Using ~ through 6 and some keys near WASD gives you a ton of options with shift/ctrl modifiers.

Anyway, you're not wrong. The number of keybinds needed in many MMOs feels bad to actually play.
Why would the sensor on the bottom be bad because it has more buttons on the side? That's retarded.

I use the G600 and for WoW I use all 12 thumb buttons plus the mouse's "gshift" key so they cover 24 keybinds. Mostly for things like defensives or speed boosts that you want to activate while moving and lower priority things so I don't have to open a menu or bag to use them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom