Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of warcraft: Shadowlands announced

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
tbh I hate the new character models I keep seeing
blood elves that look like night elves and shit

shits all retarded
When the new character models were introduced, you could still switch back to the old ones. As time went on that option was buried in the game's settings and eventually was removed entirely. Can't go back to the good old models, you're forced to play with the trash garbage "improved" ones.

Ravielsk

Magister

I have to applaud Blizzard for this extraordinary lack of creativity. Not even fucking devianart "artists" are this fucking derivative and god knows they try their hardest to be. Just how many times have they used this "I was just corrupted" excuse? Serious question, I have no idea because corruption seems to be the second most common ailment in world of warcraft.

In fact now that I think about it, the whole cinematic makes even less sense than the average corruption plot because this time it was not even really some external force doing but the evil half of her soul(?), which is still her soul and should therefore not absolve her of anything.

Caim

Arcane
Understand that Sylvanas is the waifu of the lead writer, and as such she can do no wrong and cannot suffer consequences for her actions, split soul or not.

J1M

Arcane
Four different art styles in one cinematic is a confusing, and terrible, choice.

This soul splitting nonsense is also a retcon from last year. For 20 years prior Frostmourne slurped up your soul when it killed you and trapped it in the blade. The prior explanation for the retcon was that Uther was so devout that part of his soul still went to the afterlife anyway. They'll have to retcon that too since Sylvannis isn't devout, her half soul didn't go to the afterlife, and Uther's half soul wasn't evil.

The alternative was:
Lady trusts bad man.
Lady does things for bad man.
Bad man reveals he is bad.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Even without the bad story, it looks worse than fan creations.
Most of wow cutscenes have been like that since WotlK I think? They have an ingame (or derivate) engine to produce them them faster (read cheaper) so they can make more.

J1M

Arcane
Even without the bad story, it looks worse than fan creations.
Most of wow cutscenes have been like that since WotlK I think? They have an ingame (or derivate) engine to produce them them faster (read cheaper) so they can make more.
The scene where the old man is touching the unconscious blue lady is in-game WoW machinima.

The fire scenes are reused from last expansion where they used 2D flash animation instead of real cutscenes.

The plasticine models appear to be tweaked Heroes of the Storm models in another renderer, possibly Overwatch or Maya.

The farm background is low-poly and looks like it was captured in a WoW zone with the character models quickly composited on top because there's no character shadows.

J1M

Arcane
BFA had multiple cinematics done in that style. Shadowlands didn't. Probably prioritizing Diablo 4 over an expansion with no content.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom