Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of warcraft: Shadowlands announced

Codex Year of the Donut
Here's your CONTENT, bro. It's unlisted now.

I know I'm like 10-15 years late to this but jesus christ how did the art style end up so badly? There's one thing to be cartoony but this shit is on a different level.

outsourcing work to the same people who make shitty mobile chinese MMOs

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Blizzard will just select the biggest cocksucking drones to fellate them on a special forum and only discuss the most trivial, safest and uninteresting nonsense imaginable. So it's literally fucking nothing, just more circlejerking.

J1M

Arcane
Here's your CONTENT, bro. It's unlisted now.

I know I'm like 10-15 years late to this but jesus christ how did the art style end up so badly? There's one thing to be cartoony but this shit is on a different level.

outsourcing work to the same people who make shitty mobile chinese MMOs

I wonder how many of these they sell to people on 6-month subscriptions that they forgot to cancel. I think the number is probably high enough that they would create store mounts even if people who don't play anymore were the only ones to buy them.

Avarize

Magister

Reever

Scholar
Patron
ANNOUNCEMENT: Player counts have dropped to a point where they will finally listen to someone who isn't a journalist or a streamer (maybe)

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/introducing-the-world-of-warcraft-community-council/1124908

Sign-up link: https://forms.office.com/r/2BfVmv2d44

Rumor has it you'll be picked if your application includes the phrase "as a non-binary non-gamer..."
I think I had a better microphone when I was 12 and buying 5$ headphones than whatever Ion has.
Anyway, I doubt this will change anything. 15 years of feedback didn't tell them that WoW is in a constant state of decline. Why would this council be any different?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They want to hear about all the ways whatever's left in their sanitized game still hurts your feelings. Not how the dumbed down mechanics and cookie cutter builds have made it more fulfilling to play Candy Crush.

J1M

Arcane
They want to hear about all the ways whatever's left in their sanitized game still hurts your feelings. Not how the dumbed down mechanics and cookie cutter builds have made it more fulfilling to play Candy Crush.
The real irony of people complaining about cookie cutter builds is that vanilla was not a solved game by the time TBC came out. A decade of private server experimentation led to things like fury warrior raid tanks.

The community is just complaining about its own social dynamics that enforce build expectations.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The real irony of people complaining about cookie cutter builds is that vanilla was not a solved game by the time TBC came out. A decade of private server experimentation led to things like fury warrior raid tanks.

The community is just complaining about its own social dynamics that enforce build expectations.

This thing is about retail not classic, is it not? If so, how is your post relevant given the various talent pruning the game has gone through over the years leading to it being a shadow of its former self and still having cookie cutter builds, to the extent you can have a build at all anymore? This feels like a non sequitur to me.

J1M

Arcane

This thing is about retail not classic, is it not? If so, how is your post relevant given the various talent pruning the game has gone through over the years leading to it being a shadow of its former self and still having cookie cutter builds, to the extent you can have a build at all anymore? This feels like a non sequitur to me.
The output delta between good and bad builds is much smaller now than it was in vanilla. It's a social issue and always has been. My point was illustrating that there was more depth to the original talent system than people thought that was unexplored due to "only this one build is viable" thinking.

mediocrepoet

Patron

The output delta between good and bad builds is much smaller now than it was in vanilla. It's a social issue and always has been. My point was illustrating that there was more depth to the original talent system than people thought that was unexplored due to "only this one build is viable" thinking.

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, it's true that at least various things are viable in modern WoW. It's one of the improvements of the game, though the pruning of the talent trees, etc. is still a travesty.

Avarize

Magister
If you play the wrong build you are usually only 10-15% than you would otherwise be. Exceptions do exist like fire mage in Nyalotha. Probably the most recent major cases of something remaining unsolved for a time was it only becoming apparent to the community in Battle for Dazar'alor that a certain demo lock build was by far the best spec in the game only after the top guilds had already cleared (we got rank 56 iirc and our locks only played demo on the first farm kill). Another one would be blood dks playing a wrong talent for all of Legion, but that was only a ~3% survivability decrease.

Rilmani404

Novice
bOgLGjK.jpg
The internet never, ever, runs out of surprises. If only the surprises had some originality rather than being an echo of MoP, WoD, and BfA removals. Is this what a cancer survivor feels like, after getting told for like the 6th time “yep, you aren’t ‘clean’ anymore. Need to start up chemo again in the same spot.”

Y’know what is weird? This means a Shadowlands private server might get setup someday.

Larianshill

Arbiter
They'll never stop milking that cow, just make expansions with progressively less content in them. Customization was a major selling point of Shadowlands, really, the only actually new thing they added, and it amounted to basically nothing.

Caim

Arcane
Didn't Shadowlands' customization end up being stuck behind a grind, with you being unable to do the other three grinds on the same character?

Larianshill

Arbiter
By character customization, I mean appearance.

85se720kh3751.png

It might look impressive, but it's actually very barebones - nothing compared to WoD's complete remodelling of every player race, and it's not like WoD's even a feature heavy expansion.

Ravielsk

Magister
A few months ago there was a rumor on 4chin about Blizzard dissolving and WoW going into maintenance mode. By the looks of it the part about WoW was spot on, I seriously cannot see this game going through any kind of recovery at this point. Maybe a minor uptick when Woltk classic comes out but only a really minor one.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
At some point during Legion, or possibly even earlier, Blizzard downgraded their servers quite a bit. Pretty sure they can keep this rubbish on permanent maintenance mode and still make a good deal from it. The "people" that only play WoW will keep it afloat for decades to come thanks to the cash shop.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Player counts have dropped to a point where they will finally listen to someone who isn't a journalist or a streamer (maybe)

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/introducing-the-world-of-warcraft-community-council/1124908

Sign-up link: https://forms.office.com/r/2BfVmv2d44

Rumor has it you'll be picked if your application includes the phrase "as a non-binary non-gamer..."
In my experience the casual playerbase (majority) are wokists.

All the based people are in ESO, roasting simps on zone chats, and announcing Altmer support Democrats and Biden is a worshipper of Molag Bal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom