Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst lines in a Bioware game?

Phelot

Arcane
Really, the bottom line regardless of the historicity of the word "fuck" is that the fast majority of games out there, modern or fantasy or otherwise, use the word in an incredibly lame fashion.

ortucis

Prophet
Lesifoere said:
It is. "Fuck" has etymological roots that can be traced to Old German and Anglo-Saxon tongues that were in use around... well, a good deal before Christianity hit England, to start with.

Idiott said:
Lesifoere said:
That reminds me. "Swooping... swooping is bad." I've always thought Alistair was intellectually stunted.

They must've thought this is a masterpiece, because they reused this in DA2.

Are you serious? You can't be. Hell no. That line would make even the most intelligent, articulate person sound like a moron who was dropped on his head one time too many as a baby.

Alistair IS a moron, he pretty much admits it himself (during companion dialogue between him and Morrigan). He wasn't presented as the "thinker" or "leader" type anyway. Saying anything childish is his way of changing subject (or he doesn't have anything other to respond with).

I don't know why people expect anything else from that character.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Gragt said:
Inspired from indeed. The Witcher is fiction, not our history.

Its always the same fucking bullshit argument. Its like talking to a broken record.

Here's the thing. It doesn't fucking matter whether The Witcher is fiction. Its still inconsistent, and its still fucking stupid. If you want to have anachronistic elements in your medieval inspired setting you can, but its probably going to make your game world pretty shitty, because the whole point of even borrowing from an historical setting is to create a certain level of atmosphere concomitant with that specific time period, so that your audience is able to become immersed into a world with which they already have a certain level of familiarity, thus, allowing the author or the game designer to go straight to the story without having to bother going through detailed explanations of the setting. If you are going to fuck everything by introducing modern elements that just feel out of place with that setting, then why the fuck would you even bother using it?

Vibalist

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Gragt said:
Inspired from indeed. The Witcher is fiction, not our history.

Its always the same fucking bullshit argument. Its like talking to a broken record.

Here's the thing. It doesn't fucking matter whether The Witcher is fiction. Its still inconsistent, and its still fucking stupid. If you want to have anachronistic elements in your medieval inspired setting you can, but its probably going to make your game world pretty shitty, because the whole point of even borrowing from an historical setting is to create a certain level of atmosphere concomitant with that specific time period, so that your audience is able to become immersed into a world with which they already a certain level of familiarity, thus, allowing the author or the game designer to go straight to the story without having to bother going through detailed explanations of the setting. If you are going to fuck everything by introducing modern elements that just feel out of place with that setting, then why the fuck would you even bother using it?

:salute:

This is exactly it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
villain of the story said:
One has got to wonder if he has ever been around real lowlife scum

Yeah dude, tells us about your real life experience with the drecks of human society, and all the darkness and evil which I have never seen within the sheltering confines of my underground dwellings. We need to have every low life scum we encounter in our medieval RPGs talk like they came out straight off a Tarantino movie, 'cause that's realistic, and stuff.

Burning Bridges said:
Here a little anecdote that I find interesting. My great-grandmother (south-east germany) still used words that sound english to me. She said "fuck" (pronounced fʊk), or "kneif" instead of Messer (knife). Where it came from? I don't know, probably Franconian or Saxony dialect.

Point in case is, if the word survives even in some german mountain, it must be very old.

The origin of the word itself is not as important as its actual meaning. This is another problem with trying to incorporate ye oldie swearing into modern games because there's just too much that is lost in translation. We can't be certain that their use of the word fuck is at all similar to our own, and even adopting some alternative spelling of the word (say, fukk, or fok) still can't prevent the word from sounding horribly anachronistic. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it doesn't even matter whether medieval people really DID sound like characters from a Tarantino movie. There's very little trace of vulgarity in their literature and art (and when it is present its used for comedic or satirical effect), and that alone indicates that their society viewed vulgarity from a different perspective to its present use in our entertainment. I've had first hand experience with this phenomena in Italy, where there are still many places which retain a strong link to the middle ages. What i have noticed is that swearing is very uncommon among the older generations, that when it occurs it assumes the form of blasphemy for the most part, and those rare occurrences of sexual slurs are generally cause for embarrassment and hilarity. Either way, none of it had that serious business quality it has today, and i have an hunch that it was the same in the middle ages.

Idiott

Arcane
You see, you think witcher is stupid in inconsistent because it's originally written in different language and comes from different cultural background. There are documented instances of swearing in potato middle ages and renaissance literature. 'Kurwa' is older word than 'fuck' it's translated to.

Besides, you are complaining about using anachronistic words in instances where magic exists. As you wrote, settings are made like that so it's pretty much clear that people don't use, for example, electricity or guns without 50-page intro about the world. Anything else is pure fiction and is not bound with any rules regarding medieval times. It doesn't break immersion or believability any more than throwing a fireball in someone's face.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Idiott said:
Lesifoere said:
Are you serious? You can't be. Hell no. That line would make even the most intelligent, articulate person sound like a moron who was dropped on his head one time too many as a baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNsJwBNqOs#t=3m47s
This is terrible.

What's worse is that the retards who love the shit out of this game have never heard good voice acting and have never read excellent dialogue. It's a pity that they'll never get to, either. This Dragon Effect shit is the new standard in dialogue in games.

Vibalist

Arcane
Idiott said:
Besides, you are complaining about using anachronistic words in instances where magic exists. As you wrote, settings are made like that so it's pretty much clear that people don't use, for example, electricity or guns without 50-page intro about the world. Anything else is pure fiction and is not bound with any rules regarding medieval times. It doesn't break immersion or believability any more than throwing a fireball in someone's face.

:retarded:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Idiott said:
Besides, you are complaining about using anachronistic words in instances where magic exists.

smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

Idiott

Arcane
I love you too.

To clarify, magic brings possibilities and names for stuff that weren't in use before 16th century, like 'fuck'.
See: machine, spell, explosion, mana, concentrate, meditate.

RPGMaster

Savant
Take your pick from Jack's lines in ME2. Probably the lamest attempt at "Look at me I swear, I'm edgy, but I'm really vunerable" cliche ever. Get the fuck out of my space opera.

Project: Eternity
Lyric Suite said:
There's very little trace of vulgarity in their literature and art (and when it is present its used for comedic or satirical effect), and that alone indicates that their society viewed vulgarity from a different perspective to its present use in our entertainment.

Wasn't the literature and art created by a tiny, tiny minority (i.e. the few that could read and write and had the leisure to do it as well)? I don't quite see how that means that every labourer out there at the time never swore.

Krash

Arcane
Black said:
So is bethesda no longer the worst at writing or what? Steel be with you, mudcrabs and so on are bad, sure, but this is a whole new level.

Wut? The worst of DA2 isn't even as bad as the "good" of Oblivion/Fallout 3. Middle aged guy, fighting the good fight, etc, forgot those? When I make fun of some piece of Bioware writing it's still that: just a piece of the pie (some of which doesn't even taste like shit, see Varric). But with Bethesda, the bad writing is all there is.

Seriously, DA2 is worthy of ridicule, but there's bad and there's bad

Idiott

Arcane
Felicitate me.

Thinking of it, I don't think anything in DA2 can beat F3 Moira in terms of being a moronic retard. Even 'Enchantment' guy seems smart in comparison.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Freelance Henchman said:
Wasn't the literature and art created by a tiny, tiny minority (i.e. the few that could read and write and had the leisure to do it as well)?

Not all of the art no. There were many venues of popular entertainment, some of which left very extensive records of their existence. Much of the poetry written by wondering troubadours (a curious case of a popular art making its way towards the nobility) and minstrels has survived, and mystery plays (theatrical reenactments of biblical scenes) were extremely popular among all levels of society. Aside for several scatological pieces by some of the most daring jongleurs, i don't see any proof that medieval people were particularly keen to swearing as a form of entertainment, or that ever made it a point to engage in profuse swearing beyond the occasional deprecation just because it made them look "cool", or more gritty, which is the only reason why we have swearing in games today. Dwarves talking about cunts and dicks isn't going to make your game more "realistic", its just going to show what a bunch of immature idiots game developers are.

MCA
Heh, hear it from LS: people use slang to look cool and hip and whatnot. That certainly explains how extensively rich slang is in almost every language.

You are fast on the road to becoming the biggest moron, LS. Ironic that despite your unsuccessful mocking, you have really been sounding like a sheltered manchild for some time now and now again ITT.

Real people, not those basement dwelling omega losers or richy rich hipsters or what have you looking for attention, but the real scum of the world who don't ever think for a second about what they are doing and particularly not about "how they look and sound", they use their respective languages in ways that would blow your brains off.

But you know, it's good that you met some people from "older generations" (whatever significance *that* has; there are as many "older generation" people everywhere who speak nothing but filth) that you think represents all walks of life from all corners of the medieval Europe to give us an accurate idea. Well, not really. LOL

The really sad thing is, you may have more or less a valid point about the verb fuck itself in this case -maybe the devs could at least try to reinvent some equally vulgar or offensive but "non-anachronistic" slang-tionary?- but you wholly oppose the idea that use of slang could be and most probably was a common sight among any given community in the medieval world. I don't know what kind of sheltered trash someone has gotta be to have such an opinion. Do you also think that slang became so widespread only in the last couple centuries due to decline of... whatever?

Perhaps it is you yourself who has been exposed too much to "contemporary decline" (what with "saying Fuck to look cool" and Tarantino stereotypes stuff) to be able to regard something like this as natural and not get bothered by it over trivial misconceptions?

Idiott said:
Lesifoere said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNsJwBNqOs#t=3m47s

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

I've had that piece of shit executed in DA:O. The only satisfying moment I had in DA:O.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Real people, not those basement dwelling omega losers or richy rich hipsters or what have you looking for attention, but the real scum of the world who don't ever think for a second about what they are doing and particularly not about "how they look and sound", they use their respective languages in ways that would blow your brains off.

Except real criminals do not talk like they do in the movies. Well, niggers do but that's a different matter. You are just some punk kid who's watched too many movies and played too many games and doesn't know jack shit about anything whatsoever. Real people have better shit to worry about then swear for the sake of showing how evil and darkness they are. That's what little punk kids do, to make themselves look tough.

But you know, it's good that you met some people from "older generations" (whatever significance *that* has; there are as many "older generation" people everywhere who speak nothing but filth) that you think represents all walks of life from all corners of the medieval Europe to give us an accurate idea. Well, not really. LOL

You obviously have little understanding of European history, and how much influence the middle ages still exerted upon the older generations. Even today there are still towns and places which are still rooted in traditions which are centuries old. I myself grew up in a small town in Italy at the foot of a medieval castle. Right now its all modernized but the older generations lived in a way which wasn't too dissimilar from the way people lived in the middle ages.

Perhaps it is you yourself who has been exposed too much to "contemporary decline" (what with "saying Fuck to look cool" and Tarantino stereotypes stuff) to be able to regard something like this as natural and not get bothered by it over trivial misconceptions?

There are a lot of things which are "natural" that i wouldn't want to see in RPGs. This is another reason why i find this entire argument pointless. It doesn't matter whether people in the middle ages ran their mouths so much to make Samuel L. Jackson blush. It still sounds juvenille and retarded and shouldn't simply be there, not for the sake of realism, but for the sake of good taste.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
root said:
i'll just leave this here

you really should think more of your proud latin heritage, LS.

I will sodomize you and face-fuck you,
pussy Aurelius and catamite Furius,
you who think, because my poems
are sensitive, that I have no shame.
For it's proper for a devoted poet to be moral
himself, but in no way is it necessary for his poems.
In point of fact, these have wit and charm
if they are sensitive and a little shameless,
and can arouse an itch,
and I don't mean in boys, but in those hairy old men
who can't get it up.
Because you've read my countless kisses,
you think less of me as a man?
I will sodomize you and face-fuck you.

Which latin word translates as "fuck", or "pussy"? I'm really curious.

visions

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Real people have better shit to worry about then swear for the sake of showing how evil and darkness they are. That's what little punk kids do, to make themselves look tough.

I can't for the life of me understand what swearing has to do with "darkness and evil". And "real people" hardly "worry" about swearing, it just comes naturally with certain levels of culture.

visions

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Real people have better shit to worry about then swear for the sake of showing how evil and darkness they are. That's what little punk kids do, to make themselves look tough.

I can't for the life of me understand what swearing has to do with "darkness and evil". And "real people" hardly "worry" about swearing, it just comes naturally with certain levels of culture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom