Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

denizsi

Arcane
It's Zevran's line from Dragon Age.

Filthy_Gorgeous_by_Louvette.jpg

Gotta love how fans love to make him a complete total faggot tranny

So who's up for a little experiment? The objective is to pick up (real) girls in a bar, or similarly conveniant places, using only lines from Bioware games.

I imagine maybe a quarter of them might even work!

Ghoulem

Erudite
There was a bug in VTMB where after you've killed Grünfeld Bach you had to flee to a boat and everytime you've got to the boat the game would crash. I talked to Johansen so many times and started running for the boat, but it crashed hard every fucking time. And you couldn't save after talking to him because of the bomb timer.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah yeah that happened to me too. They fixed it in a patch, though.

Noddy

Augur
Personal one:

Finding out Macbeth was Ravel but being way to tired to understand it. Pisses me off to this day. If i ever replay torment it'll be for that sole plot point.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
root said:
That would be a fucking amazing plot point, macbeth being ravel, that would. a whole new meaning to that 'to-morrow and to-morrow and to-morrow', clearly ravel's coming to grips with the existential angst of mortality after seeing what happened with tno.

You can 'save' Ravel if you visit macbeth whit a black barbed seed in your inventory after the TO fights her.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SCO said:
You can 'save' Ravel if you visit macbeth whit a black barbed seed in your inventory after the TO fights her.

FFFFUUUUU! I've played Torment so many times and I am STILL finding shit I didn't know you could do! Now I have to play it yet again. :x

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Did you
Eat 100 rats (... or was it 500) and go buy tattoos? Truly a ridiculous obscure thing

realize that all situations in curst in carceri can be defused peacefully except for getting the key off a guard in the underground prison - maybe that too with a thief

managed to join the chaos insect faction? Its the only one that allows one to join another faction for real i think - the anarchists are faking it

Rat pharod out to the strongman of the upper trash area (you can lie too i think)

there are some thief characters that can improve your thief skills - one of them i think if you try to pickpocket him

Terror Teats

Educated
SCO said:

Wait, which old fat lady is that? The one in the buried village who digs in your guts for you (Marta?), or the one that mages you up?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SCO said:
Did you
Eat 100 rats (... or was it 500) and go buy tattoos? Truly a ridiculous obscure thing

:lol: No, never did that either. Will do that on my next replay. Thanks!

Radisshu

Prophet
Wait, Macbeth? What the fuck have I missed?

It's pretty cool how TNO can call upon tree-creatures for himself in the Ravel fight if he's a powerful enough mage. I don't know what this is based on, though. Intelligence score, level, or having taken lessons from Ravel? Also, how being a mage lets you have various teachers, from Ignus to Ravel. It makes it more interesting plot-wise.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There are some options for the not so intelligent TNO, based on speed, charisma or strength, but they are not so many. I quite like it when they appear.

Quest planing is a lost art, BIS and Troika seem like the only ones that could do the time investment to plan things out instead of hiring a writer that thinks a single "epik" thread suffices even for simple things like this.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Another thing, about morte
His special ability, the litany of curses can be improved. Copying from some site because i forgot:
# Speak to a Harlot in the Hive. When Morte asks you for money to go with the Harlot, tell him to forget it and that you're probably saving him from dying twice. The Harlot insults you, teaching Morte new insults in the process.
# Also in the Hive, find Jhelai for Craddock. When you return to Craddock, tell him the truth about what Jhelai said. Morte will learn something from Craddock's resulting outburst.
# In the Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts, ask Kimaxsi Adder-Tongue if she can teach Morte to be more abusive. She can.
# In the Lower Ward, enter the Pawn Shop and get Miccah and Brocah to argue.
# In Clerk's Ward, buy the Gorgon Salve in the Curiosity Shoppe. Then enter the Galleria and use the Gorgon Salve on the stone statue to bring him back to life. He will issue his terrible curse, improving Morte's Litany (and killing you).

Also:

In the lower ward : Yi'minn is a Githyanki, who are the arch-enemies of the Githzerai. If you have Dak'kon in your party, you will be hard pressed to keep the two from fighting. You should leave Dak'kon at a safe distance before speaking to Yi'minn.

If you haven't helped An'azi, Yi'minn refuses to speak to you.

Once you have helped An'azi and left Dak'kon out of sight, approach Yi'minn and speak to him. He will offer to help you find your lost memories; you will just need to follow him to a secluded place. If you fall into his trap, he leads you to the alley between the Warehouse and the Print Shop where five of his comrades turn up and surround you. You will have the choice between fighting them, or letting them kill you. Let them kill you, and you will learn from their conversation that they are plotting a raid on the Githzerai fortress of Vristigor. Take this information back to Kii'na at 5 for 8,000 XP.

got ALL of the stories for that prostitute at the bordel? There are a LOT some that require characters in the party, others that only appear when you do some quests, or advance the main quest - there is a tatto as a reward if you tell all of them to her

bhlaab

Erudite
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I.C. Wiener said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I don't remember exactly, was that the mine where you had to go to get somebody's shoe or something like that? If so, I don't remember anything particularly bad about that.

Bates sends you there to discover the whereabouts of the Black Mountain Clan, for some reason I can't remember, just before you get sent to the Isle of Despair. It's about five levels deep, full of annoying golems and totally devoid of interest, it's just an absolute mind-numbing slog in an otherwise great part of the game.

Okay, I just played this part and what the fuck that was nothing. I was all nervous to go in there because of you and it's honestly a less annoying dungeon crawl than anything in Baldur's Gate

Radisshu

Prophet
bhlaab said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I.C. Wiener said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I don't remember exactly, was that the mine where you had to go to get somebody's shoe or something like that? If so, I don't remember anything particularly bad about that.

Bates sends you there to discover the whereabouts of the Black Mountain Clan, for some reason I can't remember, just before you get sent to the Isle of Despair. It's about five levels deep, full of annoying golems and totally devoid of interest, it's just an absolute mind-numbing slog in an otherwise great part of the game.

Okay, I just played this part and what the fuck that was nothing. I was all nervous to go in there because of you and it's honestly a less annoying dungeon crawl than anything in Baldur's Gate

Whaat? I mean, I prefer Arcanum over BG (brofist), but ... really?

bhlaab

Erudite
dungeons in baldur's gate just keep going and going and going. the black mountain mines were 4 incredibly tiny floors and one almost kind of medium sized floor.

And at least you can hit the fucking golems without a +4 weapon

Radisshu

Prophet
I think dungeons in the Infinity engine worked much better than dungeons in Arcanum, though.

bhlaab

Erudite
Mangoose said:
Yeah. You didn't have trouble with your weapons destroying themselves on the golems?

Well I use firearms which probably helped but I was generally able to go back to tarant whenever i needed ammo and/or repairs

Radisshu

Prophet
I didn't really have that problem. I mean, they were damaged, but they never broke. I mostly used spares anyway.

The thing, though, is that Arcanum combat sucks even more than BG combat.

bhlaab

Erudite
in realtime mode certainly but in turn based it's still preferable to the old RTwP clusterfucks.

Not that it's not annoying. I really wish they would have looked at Armor Class and Dodge Skill and just fucking picked one or the other because having both really fucks things up.

Radisshu

Prophet
Infinity combat isn't a strategic masterpiece, but it is hardly a clusterfuck. I actually prefer it to Arcanum's turn-based combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom