Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

Cassidy

Arcane
Alpha Protocol might replace Oblivion with Guns regarding the single worst moment ever for me(still haven't finished it to say for sure), although as a whole, Oblivion with Guns still is miles ahead of AP in its sum of bad moments.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Cassidy said:
Alpha Protocol might replace Oblivion with Guns regarding the single worst moment ever for me(still haven't finished it to say for sure), although as a whole, Oblivion with Guns still is miles ahead of AP in its sum of bad moments.

What was that single worst moment?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Felix said:
cliffracerswarm.jpg

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

Is it a thread about epic moments in RPG? Because these two above are epic.

In the first, there is a chimney made from racers. It has actually even artistic feeling. In the second... Did he wanted to kill them? If yes, he did it in a way there was no proof about that. And he has a reason to kill them...

Cassidy

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
Cassidy said:

What was that single worst moment?

Getting stuck to a wall because of a bug, the timed dialogue, realizing that shadows have no relevance to stealth, getting sick of crosswords, the annoying score-based training sections, being saved by a fucking wooden fence from being slaughtered by a .50 cal and noticing how stupid it is, aiming perfectly a pistol at point blank range and still missing the shot, fighting the first popamole regeneration system boss. It's difficult to pick one.

At least most of them are not related to the game plot so far, except for the stupid dialogue system, but that could change too.

But the first boss fight is really the pearl of the fail due to how it was easy, nonsensical and uninspired it was. Add to that the fact the boss was thrown there essentially, with not even one line of character development about him, his motivations etc and guess we have a winner.

Not as fail of a moment as meeting the first gigantic orc with retarded supermarket carts in its back in Oblivion with guns and easily slaughtering it as it simply refused to focus on the PC though.

It was more or less when I gave up Fallout 3.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
I knew enough about the lore to rage a bunch and never really finish the game, but not enough to go completely batshit as DraQ presumably did.
It was Oblivion that turned me into a glittering gem of hatred and a proper :rpgcodex: .

So...Oblivion refined your tastes.
Nope. It merely seeded me with all-consuming hatred and nerdrage.

DriacKin said:
Matt7895 said:
It was Oblivion that drove me to the Codex too. I wonder how many other Oblivion refugees are here?

Interesting. It was MotB that drove me here...

I was linked from the Wikipedia entry that said something along the lines of "Of special note was the positive reception from RPGCodex" or somesuch.

I wonder if there is a difference between those who were driven to the codex by love and those by hate?

Cassidy

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
DriacKin said:
Matt7895 said:
It was Oblivion that drove me to the Codex too. I wonder how many other Oblivion refugees are here?

Interesting. It was MotB that drove me here...

I was linked from the Wikipedia entry that said something along the lines of "Of special note was the positive reception from RPGCodex" or somesuch.

I wonder if there is a difference between those who were driven to the codex by love and those by hate?

I discovered the Codex through two means: NMA, which in turn I discovered due to my love of Fallout 2 and search for fan-made mods and patches available for it, and by searching for prestigious sources of knowledge on gaming that agreed with my hateful stance regarding MMORPGs. I was driven by both love and hate.

bhlaab

Erudite
There's no way that Alpha Protocol is worse than Oblivion sorry bro

Coyote

Arcane
I honestly didn't find the sewers in Bloodlines all that bad. They sucked, sure, but you could easily get through them in about an hour. The last quarter of the game, from about Hallowbrook Hotel on, was much worse in terms of the quantity of mindless combat (although the ending made up for it a bit, and the werewolf "fight" was a nice surprise). Plus, the sewers were just a blip compared to, say, the orc caves in NWN2, which was just as banalshitboring - regardless of whether or not you abused resting - but twice as long.

The only way I can see them being worse is if you hadn't invested at all in combat skills and didn't have any spare points. Even then, they shouldn't be that bad if you use Blood Buff and your Disciplines, especially if you picked up the earlier skill books and/or other bonuses like the tips from Nines.

The worst moments for me, off the top of my head, were

* The last parts of Bloodlines - see above.
* The orc caves in NWN2. Come to think of it, all of the combat-heavy areas.
* The first dungeon in Divine Divinity, and more generally the frequency of enemies throughout it. The game as a whole could have been much better if it cut the number of enemies down to an eighth or so of what it had. Then again, I've never been a fan of Diablo clones, and although it was probably the best one, DD was still a Diablo clone at heart.
* I have a similar complaint for Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. The setting had a lot of unique (for a video game) and promising ideas behind it but never followed through on them, instead filling every area with a ton of pointless enemies. And so the game ended up being a mindless hack'n'slash instead of achieving the greatness it might have if they had spent more time developing the setting and working on non-combat areas.
* Combat areas full of the same enemies over and over in Arcanum. The BMC mines were bad, but at least there was some variation; some areas, like Thanatos, were worse.
* The first few areas in FO1/2 - I love the games once the world opens up a bit more, but I rarely get there when I roll up a new character because of how boring the first parts are. (Shady Sands wasn't so bad the first time, but it became an exercise in tedium on subsequent playthroughs.)
* When I first played Oblivion: I figured that Bethesda's hype machine was exaggerating a bit, but I didn't think that they'd be able to get away with lying outright about so many things, so I had high hopes going into it. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by a game, with the possible exception of NWN.
* Speaking of which, the OC of NWN.

bhlaab

Erudite
The Sewers and the Endgame in Bloodlines was kind of a pain in the ass for Firearms-based characters since there was no real way to replenish ammo and if you ran out you were fucked.

Fucking Quality Poster

Realizing Oblivion is a piece of shit after just 1 hour of the game.

Dying in the initial stages of Arcanum without having saved your character.

Jumping off a building in Alpha Protocol and getting the bug where you get stuck in the ground and have to reload.

Corrupt saves in FO1 and 2.

bhlaab said:
The Sewers and the Endgame in Bloodlines was kind of a pain in the ass for Firearms-based characters since there was no real way to replenish ammo and if you ran out you were fucked.

Endgame maybe, though I never came close to running out. But each level of the sewers has a 'go all the way to the surface' door that lets you just pop out to Hollywood, buy more ammo and blood, and pop back in. It's nigh impossible to run out.

Also, while the sewer monsters have good stealth detection (hence the 'door to surface' to allow replenishing), the end-game folk don't - you could stealth kill 90% of them and just use your ammo on the bosses and groups. Even without that, ammo and cash was plenty by that stage - so long as you didn't spray bulllets wildly you'd have enough so long as you stocked up before leaving (which is expected, given that the cabby gives you the option of doing just that).

Pegultagol

Erudite
Mass Effect 2: the final boss. Also sometimes the clusterfuck that was the firefight sequences in Fallout.

Aerith dying... );

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, End game stages got lots of ammo. Still, use stealth kill where you can will save your pains. The Temple got a room of 8+ chests of ammo, the Tower got an unlimited respawn enemies room, aka the cafeteria with troops. Stealth kills are for fun, though.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every second I spent playing Oblivion.

Alpha Protocol's rage-inducing Omen Dang fight before I had put points in pistols.

The last two dungeons in Bloodlines.

Ore golems.

The difficulty curve in ToB with Ascension (difficulty of boss fights: hard -> very hard -> extremely hard -> wtf that was easy -> impossible without cheating -> impossible without cheating and still difficult with cheating)

saenz

Scholar
Mine would have to be the entire Malacor end game from KOTOR2. The leap left over from the cut planet was just absurd.

Hmm, Kreia ran away. First, how do I know she's at Malcor of all places in the universe? Other than the fact that the game has been talking about the place constantly, there's no logical reason for the party to pay a visit. Second, why do I care enough to track her down? Kreia isn't outted as the big bad to the party until the final battle.

Also, despite that the writing has been brilliantly alluding to what you did at Malacor throughout the entire game, there's never a complete and concise reveal. The pieced together takeaway becomes: There was a battle, I used some sort of weapon of mass destruction to win, and now it's a barren unstable rock with "shadow" creatures.

Coyote

Arcane
Xor said:
The difficulty curve in ToB with Ascension (difficulty of boss fights: hard -> very hard -> extremely hard -> wtf that was easy -> impossible without cheating -> impossible without cheating and still difficult with cheating)

If Sendai seemed easy, it's because Ascension for some reason didn't touch her at all. A component of a separate mod called Oversight made her fight the most difficult one of all, IMO. IIRC, she started out with Improved Invisibility and Spell Immunity (Every Goddamn School), so you couldn't detect her even with True Sight until one of them ran out. Her statues had various tricks up their sleeves as well (I think one of them had the annoying tendency to cast Greater Restoration and another had Time Stop). And at some point, she has 4 Projected Images running about that can summon more PIs of their own. Meanwhile, throughout the fight you have about ten quickly-respawning, very powerful dark elf warriors and I think some fallen devas spawning behind you, which can easily overwhelm you on their own.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
BearBomber said:
Every single line of the romance dialogue in every single Bioware RPG.

I fancy things that are dangerous and exciting. Would you be offended if I said I fancied you?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the romance dialogs in BG2 were pretty crappy, and then I played Jade Empire.

Terror Teats

Educated
Lesifoere said:
BearBomber said:
Every single line of the romance dialogue in every single Bioware RPG.

I fancy things that are dangerous and exciting. Would you be offended if I said I fancied you?

Is this a line from a Bioware romance, or are you actually hitting on BearBomber?

If it's the first, I'm disgusted. If it's the second, please continue. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom