Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

mornick

Scholar
I just remembered another one.

Ishar: Legend of the Fortress.

In the final dungeon, having managed to get to the final boss - the witch who had the "Kill uberbaddie" spel (only thing that would work on him) had died earlier in the dungeon and I had no way of restoring her to life. Resting was impossible and I had no more potion ingredients. I don't think it was possible to leave the dungeon either... That pretty much sucked and I didn't ever bother restarting.

Angthoron

Arcane
Another Oblivion moment - the Dark Brotherhood quest line culmination, where, after setting up a bunch of Bros to kill each others and/or die the player finally is admitted into the inner sanctum to see the leaders and the Night Mother.

All that the player can do at that point is just to get the "quest complete" and wohoo - you're officially evil! What if the player wanted to destroy the Brotherhood from within? To pretend to be evil and grow in ranks until being able to kill the leaders?

Sandbox game, my ass.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Angthoron said:
Another Oblivion moment - the Dark Brotherhood quest line culmination, where, after setting up a bunch of Bros to kill each others and/or die the player finally is admitted into the inner sanctum to see the leaders and the Night Mother.

What I 'liked' the most in that scene was how when the bad guy proceeds to stab 'TEH NIGHT MUTHA', all the others just stand around yelling 'OH NOES' instead of trying to stop him.

Deleted member 7219

Just found a really crappy one in Bloodlines. After Grout's mansion, you don't have the option to lie to LaCroix about how Grout died. You have to tell him you think Nines did it. I wanted to lie and tell him the German vampire hunter got him.

Radisshu

Prophet
madbringer said:
If you conclude Pharod was a paedophile from that, there is something wrong with you people.

Yeah, there wasn't really anything indicating that he fucked her from that.

And I still don't see why finding that out would be BAD, if it WAS insinuated. I mean, sure, it's horrible, but how is it bad from a storytelling perspective?

Radisshu

Prophet
Matt7895 said:
Just found a really crappy one in Bloodlines. After Grout's mansion, you don't have the option to lie to LaCroix about how Grout died. You have to tell him you think Nines did it. I wanted to lie and tell him the German vampire hunter got him.

Hm, yeah. They should at least let you try to lie. Since
LaCroix knows what really happened anyway
he'd probably just dominate you and force you to tell the truth, since he'd
need the protagonist's testimony to start the blood hunt

DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
Luzur said:
Oblivion.
All of it, starting when you first saw Uriel VII The Senile, then getting progressively worse.
Exactly at first I was like :? at the setting change, but I bought it anyway, expecting something like Daggerfall. I started up a new game, watched the intro movie (which was pretty cool). Made a character, but didn't like how they changed the Argonians. Didn't like the dialogue between you and Uriel Septim, but kept going. Eventually I rage quitted right after class selection and didn't touch it for a month.
I was absolutely sure this game would be absolute crap be good after Baurus failed to react in the only possible manner to an escaped prisoner standing in a dead end, over the body of his emperor with bloody sword in one hand and emperor's awfully important macguffin amulet in the other.

Baurus saw the assassin killing the emprah (he's scripted to finish off the assassins on the other room and rush in to help you - if you run to him right after Uriel dies you can see any of the respawning remaining assassins dropping dead on the spot so he can go help you), but he didn't see Uriel giving the amulet to you (which is why he asks where is it).

FFS

Radisshu

Prophet
The problem is that he believes the Emperor just handed you the jewel, while he really should think you're an opportunistic thief, as it makes more sense.

Erebus

Arcane
mornick said:
Ishar: Legend of the Fortress.

In the final dungeon, having managed to get to the final boss - the witch who had the "Kill uberbaddie" spel (only thing that would work on him) had died earlier in the dungeon and I had no way of restoring her to life.

That old witch was bloody annoying. If I remember correctly, her Stamina was so low that simply *walking* could kill her.

Her spell is not the only way to defeat the boss, however. Your other heroes can hurt him with the usual means as long as they ALL have a mystic tablet. When I reached the boss, I only had three tablets, so I had to kill two of my own PCs before I could fight him...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Personally, I'm going to have to call the first dedicated 'traps and tricks' level in Wizardry 1. It's the first of a couple of levels in that game (and MANY over the series) that doesn't have a high wandering monster rate but instead has trapdoors with serious party-wide damage everywhere, and lots of mirror squares, turn-you-around-180-degrees squares and teleport squares. In other words a 'SUUFFFAAAHHH WITH YOUR PATHETIC MAPPING SKILLSS!!!!!' level.

It certainly wasn't the hardest traps-and-tricks area that the Wizardry series threw at you, and an experienced player of that era of crpgs would get it down pat easy enough. But as youngster who hadn't encountered that sort of thing before it was a fucking nightmare. I hadn't learnt the art of save-scummi....I mean making a copy of the disk that held your characters so you could import your party off the save-disk should they all die or get too horribly lost to find a way back.

And that was a game that really needed some save-scumming while you were learning the hang of hand-mapping levels on graph paper. It was only on about level 4 of the dungeon, from memory and so you'd just got used to the drawing out the dungeons each step when suddenly it would throw teleports etc at you which meant that your 'draw as you step' maps would get fucked up. There was also no way of knowing in advance where the traps were other than by stepping in them and then mapping it for next time - so you'd get sequences like 'fall into pit, move forward and fall into another pit, keep moving forward except the square you're on has spun 180 degrees and you're now going the way you came so you step into both traps again before you get a chance to realise that you're back where you started'.

Fuck.

salute.gif

Awesome level, avoided it each time after I found the lift.

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
madbringer said:
If you conclude Pharod was a paedophile from that, there is something wrong with you people Volourn.
:smug:

ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
Luzur said:
Oblivion.
All of it, starting when you first saw Uriel VII The Senile, then getting progressively worse.
Exactly at first I was like :? at the setting change, but I bought it anyway, expecting something like Daggerfall. I started up a new game, watched the intro movie (which was pretty cool). Made a character, but didn't like how they changed the Argonians. Didn't like the dialogue between you and Uriel Septim, but kept going. Eventually I rage quitted right after class selection and didn't touch it for a month.
I was absolutely sure this game would be absolute crap be good after Baurus failed to react in the only possible manner to an escaped prisoner standing in a dead end, over the body of his emperor with bloody sword in one hand and emperor's awfully important macguffin amulet in the other.
Not to mention Martin's far-fetched retarded reaction to you telling him that he's Uriel's son: "YEAH I TOTTALLY BELIVE YOU EVEN THOUGHT THIS MAKES NO SENSE AND IS PROBABLY A TRAP LOLZ"
And then every single one of counts and people of power, engaged in predictable power struggle immediately after the news of death of Uriel and all heirs reached them just sitting around in state of mellow obliviousness, ignoring politics and daedric threat, and just sending player on inane errands, accepted "lol thar wuz another heir no1 even blaeds no abowt!!1" presented to them by an escaped convict who might have very well been implicated in death of Uriel, all this after Jagar Tharn pulling similar shit not even a full generation ago to usurp power.

My reactions when playing OB could be summed up as:

Fuck?
Fuck.
fffuuu-
FFFUUU-
FFFUUU-
:rage:
:rage: :rage:
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
fffuuu.gif

fffuuu.gif
fffuuu.gif

fffuuu.gif
fffuuu.gif
fffuuu.gif
fffuuu.gif

*RAGEQUIT*
:codexrage:

I was never so happy that I didn't buy my own copy on an impulse, which I very well could have done after I found Morrowind to be HEAVAN and promptly bought legit copy after playing a non-removed one a bit.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Radisshu said:
Matt7895 said:

That would give away the game too soon.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not that the 'nines' dialog at the mansion didn't too.

Radisshu

Prophet
SCO said:
Radisshu said:
Matt7895 said:

That would give away the game too soon.

Not really, he could probably play it so it's not too obvious.
"[Domination] And you are certain you're not lying to me, then?"

Radisshu said:
The problem is that he believes the Emperor just handed you the jewel, while he really should think you're an opportunistic thief, as it makes more sense.

Earlier the emperor said you're trustworthy, and Baurus and co. believe him because Uriel is the fucking emperor supposedly has a deep insight due to the dragon blood (no poles, I don't give a shit about your hermaphrodite, mouth-raping, milk-finger lore. Talos is now a legit god. Suck it down)

No argument about Martin, though. The only ones I can see happily accepting an unknown bastard heir are the Blades, which fucked up in the first place and need a new emperor asap.

Hoodoo

Arcane
Starting up Arcanum expecting it be awesome then quitting 5 min later because of the combat

Angthoron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Radisshu said:

Earlier the emperor said you're trustworthy, and Baurus and co. believe him because Uriel is the fucking emperor supposedly has a deep insight due to the dragon blood (no poles, I don't give a shit about your hermaphrodite, mouth-raping, milk-finger lore. Talos is now a legit god. Suck it down)

No argument about Martin, though. The only ones I can see happily accepting an unknown bastard heir are the Blades, which fucked up in the first place and need a new emperor asap.

Would've been much better if the character actually would be more of an opportunistic thief, grabbing the gem that dropped off the Emperor in a fight, and then getting haunted by Picard in dreams. The gem could also be searched by everyone and thus couldn't be sold - and dropping it would be impossible as it would be akin to the cursed items and just not leaving until you deliver it to the rightful heir.

Angthoron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Alas, that would imply in too much VA for Picard. I'm sure someone would be interested in buying/taking the gem from you, though.

Hah, all too true.

Also, that approach could've had a potential of adding a sense of urgency. The gem could prevent proper resting and so the player would be unable to level up until the gem actually lets the player to - or until it's off player's hands.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ScottishMartialArts said:
So was I the only one that liked the IWD2 Forest area? It had great atmosphere and felt like something out of a medieval folktale.
Forest was good. I had tracking so going through it was pretty easy too. Atmosphere in it was fun.

Bobtheblob said:
Ultima 5 - So I guess he really wanted his sandalwood box.
I don't understand why so many people have trouble with this. It's pretty hard to completely miss the rather large number of clues that lead you to the box. Sure at this point you don't know what they're leading you to, you don't know that's important, but it's a frikkin RPG. Even back then we knew enough to follow the clues and grab the object.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Earlier the emperor said you're trustworthy, and Baurus and co. believe him because Uriel is the fucking emperorsupposedly has a deep insight due to the dragon blood
Like Pelagius III who was batshit insane allegedly took a crap in the mddle of the hall to give servants something to do? At least, Pelagius was much closer related to the main bloodline (though still not direct descendant, as the main bloodline ended when Tiber's grandson got offed - the "direct descendant" and "herp derp dargon bold" crap is utter bull, even according to the sources in OB itself) than Uriel VII.

And Uriel, while not a loon, was supposed to be an old, sick man, whose judgement might falter at the time of Oblivion, so his bodyguards would do best if they concentrated on his safety, rather than fulfilling obviously questionable orders.

*chop* So long COC wannabe, we hardly knew ye'.

no poles, I don't give a shit about your hermaphrodite, mouth-raping, milk-finger lore.
The thing I liked the most about Fallout was meeting the VD in Carbon. Fallout is so awesome.
:smug:

Clockwork Knight said:
Alas, that would imply in too much VA for Picard. I'm sure someone would be interested in buying/taking the gem from you, though.
Then simply have agents of everyfuckingone showing keen* interest in PC's kidneys' interactions with sharp, pointy objects until he manages to solve his little problems.

*) c wut i did thar?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"We have to flee, my Emperor! Damn, there's some silly prisoner, let's ignore/kill him."
"I SAW THAT GUY/GAL/FURRY IN A DREAM!!"
"Uh..."
"HE HAS TO FOLLOW US!!"
"All right then."
*enemies attack, you have to take different route than guards*
"This prisoner is back. How did he survive? Maybe he works together with the enemies. Is he following us to kill the emperor?"
*stuff happens, emperor dies, Baurus comes back*
"Oh hey prisoner guy... THE EMPEROR IS DEAD AND YOU GOT HIS AMULET? What, he gave it to you? Well, of course, he said he saw you in a dream so you must be a good guy who wants to help, despite being the only one who saw the emperor's death. Believing you is the natural thing to do, of course."

LOGIC, FUCK YEAH

The emperor has prophetic vision-inducing magic dragon blood, logic can go suck a dick

btw

This prisoner is back. How did he survive? Maybe he works together with the enemies. Is he following us to kill the emperor?"

They try to shank you at that point but Ury tells them to calm the fuck down because his divine magic tells him you're 100% cool

and

despite being the only one who saw the emperor's death

Baurus saw it too. Did you people miss the nigger guy with the katana bumrushing the assassin 0.5 seconds after Uriel dies, or what?

Rhalle

Magister
Black_Willow said:
GarfunkeL said:
Trial in NWN2.
I found it to be one of the few good things in NWN2 OC.

I kinda felt that way too. Having just played NWN it felt like a repeat of that trial to me. But I guess a trial is a typical RPG thing.

bhlaab said:

Yeah, it was pretty horrble; clearly, though, it was a translation and low-budget voice acting problem more than anything. Shani's party (however JRPG it might have been) was a really memorable and fun part of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom