Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

CrimHead

Scholar
That was p. funny. Especially since everyone in SF starts making fun of you for being that dude's butt buddy and stuff. You have to have an obscenely high strength skill to beat him iirc. If not, well, you get your rectum resized.

Edit: YOU JUST GOT FUCKED BY CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES

DraQ

Arcane
ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
Luzur said:
Oblivion.
All of it, starting when you first saw Uriel VII The Senile, then getting progressively worse.
Exactly at first I was like :? at the setting change, but I bought it anyway, expecting something like Daggerfall. I started up a new game, watched the intro movie (which was pretty cool). Made a character, but didn't like how they changed the Argonians. Didn't like the dialogue between you and Uriel Septim, but kept going. Eventually I rage quitted right after class selection and didn't touch it for a month.
I was absolutely sure this game would be absolute crap be good after Baurus failed to react in the only possible manner to an escaped prisoner standing in a dead end, over the body of his emperor with bloody sword in one hand and emperor's awfully important macguffin amulet in the other.

EDIT:
cliffracerswarm.jpg
:codexrage:
pfft, the cliff racers were no match for my custom 50 ft. fireball
Isn't magic fun? :smug:

Radisshu

Prophet
DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
Luzur said:
Oblivion.
All of it, starting when you first saw Uriel VII The Senile, then getting progressively worse.
Exactly at first I was like :? at the setting change, but I bought it anyway, expecting something like Daggerfall. I started up a new game, watched the intro movie (which was pretty cool). Made a character, but didn't like how they changed the Argonians. Didn't like the dialogue between you and Uriel Septim, but kept going. Eventually I rage quitted right after class selection and didn't touch it for a month.
I was absolutely sure this game would be absolute crap be good after Baurus failed to react in the only possible manner to an escaped prisoner standing in a dead end, over the body of his emperor with bloody sword in one hand and emperor's awfully important macguffin amulet in the other.

That was my reaction as well.

"He said he wanted you to have the ruby necklace thing? Hm. I believe you."

No wonder the emperor got killed, his bodyguards were the most incompetent fuckers imaginable.

DraQ

Arcane
Radisshu said:
DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
Luzur said:
Oblivion.

That was my reaction as well.

"He said he wanted you to have the ruby necklace thing? Hm. I believe you."

No wonder the emperor got killed, his bodyguards were the most incompetent fuckers imaginable.
I was like:

"Ok, now he *will* kill me. There is absolutely no chance of any other reaction."

Then:

:rage:

CrimHead

Scholar
Radisshu said:
When do you find out Pharod fucked Annah?

I would like to know this too. I don't remember that, and I've played Torment through many times.

Radisshu

Prophet
CrimHead said:
Radisshu said:
When do you find out Pharod fucked Annah?

I would like to know this too. I don't remember that, and I've played Torment through many times.

Also, why do you list that as a bad thing? :smug:

Bobtheblob

Novice
Worst moment caused by a bug:

First time I played Ultima 7. Entered the final dungeon... to find out I had broken a set of portcullis by flying over them and they could never reset. Fixed in a patch shortly after.

Worst moment (tie): Wizardry 8 - Finally made it to the top of the Mountain.... and forgot about the damn tower.

Ultima 5 - So I guess he really wanted his sandalwood box.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Hommlet would be up there.

I played TOEE again a couple months ago and even vaguely knowing where everything is and how to solve it, Hommlet took about 3 hours of sloooowly walking around, despite the engine allowing limited quick travel. None of the quests are interesting and few even contain significant gameplay. They just involve walking around and clicking through dialog about barns, bags of corn and minor religious issues of no consequence.

This is what the person playing the game has to do right at the beginning.

Terrible, terrible design decision.

Melcar

Arcane
Hommlet is NOT that horrible. Doesn't take long either. Usually finish all the quests in under an hour of play time.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Melcar said:
Hommlet is NOT that horrible. Doesn't take long either. Usually finish all the quests in under an hour of play time.

Don't get the problem with it either. There's a lot of stuff to do and I like the interconnected quests. Plus it's very atmospheric thanks to the great graphics and music.

madbringer

Arcane
"Siedlisko śmierdzącego zła... zatkaj nos, Boo. Przetrząśniemy tutaj każdą szczelinę!

*pisk*"

--

Oblivion. All of it.

--

Megaton. What a piece of shit, goddamn.

--

The ending of Arcanum. I was disappoint, hard.

--

Cliff racers.

:rage:

But the absolutely worst moment, for me personally, was when my whole party got teleported in a wall on level 25 in Demise. With no back-up party at hand to go and rescue them. My god, the grind that ensued just so i could go get them back to town... the horror. The horror.

Texas Red

Whiner
Melcar said:

The thing I noticed is that you can, at level 1, enter the Moat House and progress through with occasionally some problems. The extra experience in Hommlet will result in an easier game and there's no point to slog through it, really.

Volourn said:
PST: Finding out Annah had sex with her adoptive father and now wants tos crew her new father figure.

I actually really liked that bit. Ok, it's messed up when you realise that 90% of players are going to completely ignore how screwed up the situation is because they're too busy thinking 'OMFG the hot teenage part-devil chick is going to have sex with my character - that's almost like someone's going to have sex with ME!!!'. But that aside I thought it was a nice inverting of the whole 'hero gets the girl' idea. Especially as Annah being in love with TNO is supposed to be her torment - i.e. it's supposed to be something which is fucked up and isn't in her interests.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
": YOU JUST GOT FUCKED BY CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES"

Nonsense. That situation had nothing to do with C&C just pathetic attempt to humour. btw, It's very childish humour that a teenage rookie DM would do. It's not funny nor does it really have anything to do with C&C.

p.s. Homlett is very shitty and has some of the worst writing in anything this side of ES series.

Antihero

Liturgist
Azrael the cat said:
Volourn said:
PST: Finding out Annah had sex with her adoptive father and now wants tos crew her new father figure.
I actually really liked that bit. Ok
Don't remember either where that was ever mentioned, unless maybe you could infer it from somewhere... like the skulls "making wicked sidelong glances at Annah and her foster father's head". EDIT to save more eye rolls: No I don't think that counts.

Can't be bothered to look through all the dialogues, but she seemed to open up the most about him at the Pillar of Skulls, but not exactly anything I'd call incestuous:

Spoilers, I guess
Pillar of Skulls said:
Annah smirks, spits, and turns away from the pile of rotting heads. She shrugs, but won't look at you. "No matter."

TNO: "Did you love Pharod, Annah?"

Annah turns, eyes blazing. "He was my *Da*." She bares her teeth. "I *hated* him. He only saw in me a way to scarper more bodies, more jink an' more junk ta line his vault. 'Annah dear,' 'Annah lass, yeh're the most precious thing in me vault,' he'd lie. An' he'd lie. An' he was weak o' mind an' weak o' body. An' he smelled o' corpse rot an' had all the feelin's o' a vulture picking at a corpse."

Annah's voice lowers, but the fire in her eyes burns brighter. "And he was the only one ever ta show me a scrap o' kindness. Is that what yeh *wanted* ta hear, is it? Yeh *pleased* now, aye?"

Antihero

Liturgist
:roll: He wasn't one as far as I'm concerned... that was the scene where I actually felt like Pharod wasn't such a bad guy after all.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Volourn thinks he understands some things, but he really doesn't.

He's pretty stupid that way.

ElectricOtter

DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
DraQ said:
Luzur said:
Oblivion.
Not to mention Martin's far-fetched retarded reaction to you telling him that he's Uriel's son: "YEAH I TOTTALLY BELIVE YOU EVEN THOUGHT THIS MAKES NO SENSE AND IS PROBABLY A TRAP LOLZ"

Personally, I'm going to have to call the first dedicated 'traps and tricks' level in Wizardry 1. It's the first of a couple of levels in that game (and MANY over the series) that doesn't have a high wandering monster rate but instead has trapdoors with serious party-wide damage everywhere, and lots of mirror squares, turn-you-around-180-degrees squares and teleport squares. In other words a 'SUUFFFAAAHHH WITH YOUR PATHETIC MAPPING SKILLSS!!!!!' level.

It certainly wasn't the hardest traps-and-tricks area that the Wizardry series threw at you, and an experienced player of that era of crpgs would get it down pat easy enough. But as youngster who hadn't encountered that sort of thing before it was a fucking nightmare. I hadn't learnt the art of save-scummi....I mean making a copy of the disk that held your characters so you could import your party off the save-disk should they all die or get too horribly lost to find a way back.

And that was a game that really needed some save-scumming while you were learning the hang of hand-mapping levels on graph paper. It was only on about level 4 of the dungeon, from memory and so you'd just got used to the drawing out the dungeons each step when suddenly it would throw teleports etc at you which meant that your 'draw as you step' maps would get fucked up. There was also no way of knowing in advance where the traps were other than by stepping in them and then mapping it for next time - so you'd get sequences like 'fall into pit, move forward and fall into another pit, keep moving forward except the square you're on has spun 180 degrees and you're now going the way you came so you step into both traps again before you get a chance to realise that you're back where you started'.

Fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom