Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

DraQ said:
Clockwork Knight said:
The emperor has prophetic vision-inducing magic dragon blood
Like Pelagius III The Mad who was at least actually related to Tiber? :roll:

Magic. Logic. Dick. Suck.

20081210.gif

(You know I'm not versed in TES lore. I don't know who the fuck is Pelagius III, ffs)

edit:

Almost from the start, Pelagius III, sometimes called Pelagius the Mad, his eccentricities of behavior was noted. He embarrassed dignitaries, offended his vassal kings, and, on one occasion, marked the end of a grand ball by attempting to hang himself.

Emo emperor? Anyway, Uriel VII is pretty lucid at the time of his death, why would the Blades care about there being a loony emperor centuries ago? At that point, he says PC%Name is trustworthy and that's it, period. Given that Baurus knows PC%Name didn't kill the emperor, there's no reason for him to don his Blades Tinfoil Helm.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
You know I'm not versed in TES lore.
That's pretty apparent, because any "DARGON BOLD!!!1" that might have flown in the veins of Talos, the omg divinely ascended EMPARRRORRR!!1 was lost when the lineage was terminated.

Then the throne was taken by the descendants of Tiber's brother, but the bloodwas diluted and the lineage broken again when Cephorus II took the throne. Uriel VII was direct descendant of Cephorus II.

Was it not for the fact that developers apparently didn't know, nor care WTF they were doing as evidenced by the loading screen mention of Uriel VII being direct descendant of Tiber, contradicted by the historical sources available in the game itself, I might have analysed the possibility of Uriel having dragon blood, wyvern semen, or some other gryphon bile necessary for the plot to work more in depth, but now that I know that nothing in this game was even supposed to make sense I'll default to "shit, shit, banal, boring, shit" and "lol morans" option.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
You know I'm not versed in TES lore.
You might want to peruse that glorious conversation DraQ and I had in my first month :smug:

DraQ said:
I might have analysed the possibility of Uriel having dragon blood, wyvern semen, or some other gryphon bile necessary for the plot to work more in depth
Brilliant :lol:

Back to topic, my worst moment in RPG playing was realizing, after I had bought "Ultima V" for my C64 that there would be long disk accesses for even the most trivial actions such as "Look - East" or "Search - West". I finished it nevertheless (had a lot of time on my hand as a teenager) but still, I have more fond memories of Ultima IV (even if V was certainly a better game in itself).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight said:

[...]

(You know I'm not versed in TES lore. I don't know who the fuck is Pelagius III, ffs)

Yeah, this is why you can go suck a dick, because there is such a thing as...

INTERNAL LOGIC!

Just because there's magic and steampunk-dwarves and whatnot doesn't mean that you can make up stupid shit.
If, in a hypothetical fantasy setting, it is previously established that magic can do anything except raise the dead, and then SUDDENLY a level 1 magician raises his comrade from the dead, would you believe it just because the setting has magic in it? Even though the previously established lore clearly speaks against it?

That's kinda like what Oblivion did to TES lore, only much much worse and much more illogical.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Clockwork Knight said:

[...]

Yeah, this is why you can go suck a dick, because there is such a thing as...

INTERNAL LOGIC!

Just because there's magic and steampunk-dwarves and whatnot doesn't mean that you can make up stupid shit.
If, in a hypothetical fantasy setting, it is previously established that magic can do anything except raise the dead, and then SUDDENLY a level 1 magician raises his comrade from the dead, would you believe it just because the setting has magic in it? Even though the previously established lore clearly speaks against it?

That's kinda like what Oblivion did to TES lore, only much much worse and much more illogical.

*JF casts 'Summon MHD' - success!*
*MHD hits CK in the ass and leg for 999 damage*
*CK retaliates by biting spears and working cock for 10 damage*
*MHD looks down on Earth - success! instant kill*
*CK dies*

bhlaab

Erudite
why on earth does an elder scrolls game having a bad plot bother you? The lore in that series is literally nonsense. They have books in the game and you read them and it might as well be "fkdhfakldfjkjkfjdkklfj fkjaskfjdklafjkljdklfj fjakl"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
bhlaab said:
why on earth does an elder scrolls game having a bad plot bother you?
Because the previous 2 games in the series had excellent plots. DF's is one of the most original to grace a CRPG.

The lore in that series is literally nonsense.
Lies.

JarlFrank said:
INTERNAL LOGIC!

Hey, I just believed Uriel at that moment, when dragon magic = PC%Name is trustworthy. Lore rape is another matter (that didn't affect me given I know fuck all about TES lore)

Angthoron

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
A good RPG would have lores by R A Salvatore or someone like that who at least makes sense.

No. Just no. RAS is better than whoever responsible for the atrocity that is Oblivion, but he's still awfully bland most of the time. Of course, I suppose we can thank FR settings for that, as Face of the Waters, or whatever the name of the novel was, with dudes on a sea world thingie with a native population of alien bros that are totally not into the human guys, that was actually pretty decent.

Anyway, back to the topic, and here's a case without an actual named perpetrator for a change, I utterly hate moments where you devise an elaborate approach, out-of-the-box sort, do tons of work and research and positioning and precise and careful plannining; when you talk the NPCs into hating each others (when available) and set up a grand plan worthy of a master strategist - only to end up in a situation where your victim is just staring at you like a cow/is unkillable/has a trigger that resets the whole encounter, wipes your preparations and ends up being another idiotic encounter.

Can't really give an example of this, but there's been several over the years, and every time my master plan would fail due to some idiot not being able to code the encounter in a way that the NPCs could at least react to what I did has had me raging.

ElectricOtter

Clockwork Knight said:
JarlFrank said:
INTERNAL LOGIC!

Hey, I just believed Uriel at that moment, when dragon magic = PC%Name is trustworthy. Lore rape is another matter (that didn't affect me given I know fuck all about TES lore)
I knew enough about the lore to rage a bunch and never really finish the game, but not enough to go completely batshit as DraQ presumably did.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Firefights in Fallout. Good fucking God...
Headshot, 95% the enemy still stands, other guys start coming, the guy shots back, Headshot, a critical hit! fuck,the enemy still stands, the guy shots back, critical hit bypassing the armour, two more enemies arrive, fuck, Eyeshot, 80%, miss! All three enemies start shooting, you lost half of your life, inventory exploit, stimpaks, reload gun, eyeshot, 80%, hit, the bastard finally dies, two others shoot, critical bypassing the armour, you die!
:rage:

Varn

Educated
Darkmoor Castle - MM6. An army of power liches and a fucking confusing dungeon layout. The horror...

On a less serious note, spending at least a week downloading and installing over 100 Oblivion mods, playing the game for a few hours, and promptly uninstalling it.

Oh also - trying to justify NWN2's camera out of love for the BG series. "It's good! It's good!" And - NWN single player campaign.

DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
I knew enough about the lore to rage a bunch and never really finish the game, but not enough to go completely batshit as DraQ presumably did.
It was Oblivion that turned me into a glittering gem of hatred and a proper :rpgcodex: .

So...Oblivion refined your tastes. You might even say it...helped you.

I also like how "Worst moment in a rpg" has nearly double the pages of "Best moment in a rpg". :smugcodex:

bhlaab

Erudite
Seriously how many bad fantasy novels do you have to read before elder scrolls seems like a great original story

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
bhlaab said:
Seriously how many bad fantasy novels do you have to read before elder scrolls seems like a great original story

Deleted member 7219

Clockwork Knight said:
DraQ said:
ElectricOtter said:
It was Oblivion that turned me into a glittering gem of hatred and a proper :rpgcodex: .

So...Oblivion refined your tastes. You might even say it...helped you.

I also like how "Worst moment in a rpg" has nearly double the pages of "Best moment in a rpg". :smugcodex:

It was Oblivion that drove me to the Codex too. I wonder how many other Oblivion refugees are here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom