Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pool of Radience: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

The entire game seemed Horrible. I don't know how they could make D&D that boring...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Spellcaster said:
Those who say so clearly never played Oblivion, FO3, Lionheart, U9, MM9, and so on.
sigh. The thread was for worst moments, not worst game.

I personally think there's a lot of good content in DA, but I was just so disappointed and bored with the Deep Roads that just knowing I'll have to go through that again keeps me from replaying. There aren't many games where that happens for me.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
- NWN. I just played BG 1 and 2 and i thought of them as best games evar. When i heard that new game from the same developer is being made i went crazy, i counted days till it's release, fapped to screens in magazines, etc... You can guess what happened next. :cry:

- Doing quests in battlegrounds in Beyond Divinity and learning that all those escaped criminals and rogue mages i was told about are identical giant spiders sitting at the ends of long, boring dungeons. I don't think i ever saw quest design as shit as this.

- In Risen i became so immersed in menacing atmosphere after tales of evil concealed in the mountain that i started getting a little scared to explore the gameworld even in daylight. It was awesome. Then i got into the mountain. There were fucking lizardmen.
:rage:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Spellcaster said:
Those who say so clearly never played Oblivion, FO3, Lionheart, U9, MM9, and so on.

Same goes for those who mentioned Arcanum and BG2. The worst parts of those games are better than the best parts of other RPGs (see above for examples)

Shitty parts of great games stand out more than shitty parts of shitty games. And they make for a more interesting thread than yet another 4-5 page session of "hurr oblibberans"

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Hamster said:
In Risen i became so immersed in menacing atmosphere after tales of evil concealed in the mountain that i started getting a little scared to explore the gameworld even in daylight. It was awesome. Then i got into the mountain. There were fucking lizardmen.
:rage:
Oh shit, I hear ya. I was really looking forward to what the secret of the island was, especially after all the build up. And then the game just fails hard. Pretty much the last two chapters in Risen were huge letdowns, but thankfully the previous parts are damn good and the longest.

CrimHead

Scholar
FeelTheRads said:
DriacKin said:
To me, all of the crap with Minsc and Boo represent the most painfully inane dialogue I've seen in an RPG (not including fan mods).

Not quite the worst I've seen (hell, even Bioware provided more embarassing dialog in pretty much all their games since BG2), but this needs to be bolded and enlarged if only to piss off the resident Bioware fags.

Well the guy IS semi-retarded...

Deleted member 7219

Just come across one in Planescape Torment. Trying to find the deva. It is like playing Icewind Dale all over again... lots of combat, lots of dying.

Panthera

Scholar
fallout-3-birthday.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eye Of The Beholder 3: The Mausoleum. It's a 2-level dungeon at the start of the game that not only features some of the most fiendish puzzles, but also some of the toughest enemies, including the only monster in the entire game that drains levels from your party. The problem? There's no need to enter the Mausoleum at all, as no progress-vital items are kept in there. What's worse, the ultimate reward for clearing out the Mausoleum is the Rod Of Restoration, which you'll only ever need...if you went through the Mausoleum! :X

The first Ravenloft game has a similar problem as EOB3, only you have to go through almost the entire game to get your hands on the Restoration spell, and kill large groups of level-draining monsters first. But once you can cast the Restoration spell, you barely need it again.

Ultima 9: Finding out that Britannia has...shrunk since you were there last. :cry:

(Actually, U9 has loads of bad moments, but that one stuck out the most for me.)

Ultima 8: Discovering that a pretty atmospheric piece of fluff in the manual was actually just a thin cover-up to conceal that Ultima 8 was technologically inferior in many ways to Ultima 7.

(Again, U8 has loads of bad moments. Finding out that the cloth map is useless is another good example.)

Ultima 7, Part 2: There's a bit in Moonshade where the only way to progress further in the game is to gossip with a specific shopkeeper about a specific person, but only after this specific person has appeared in Moonshade. This gives you a piece of info that you must use to continue in this all-too linear game. I got stuck on this for months back when I originally played Serpent Isle, because there isn't even a hint or a suggestion on what must be done to continue.

Arcanum: Discovering that the latter part of the game is not even half as interesting as the first part. "Rushed" doesn't begin to describe it.

Albion: Learning that you pretty much have to mindlessly grind levels at key locations just to complete the dungeons needed for the main quest.

Anachronox: The "magic" system. It has so much potential and possibilities...and yet you're good for the entire game with the simple DPS and heal spells.

Anvil of Dawn: You can't rest. Makes the whole game tedious and sluggish.

Baldur's Gate 2: Pretty much the entire Throne of Bhaal expansion except for Watcher's Keep.

Turok

Erudite
DriacKin said:
To me, all of the crap with Minsc and Boo represent the most painfully inane dialogue I've seen in an RPG (not including fan mods).

Dont know whats your problem, i got lot of fun reading those dialogues,

GOO FOR EYES BOO GO FOR DE EYES!!!

bhlaab said:
So I give it to the dark elf, get the gold, and then set about pickpocketing the sword back off of him. Except it's not there. The game thought I might do this, and made it so the sword vanishes into the ether as soon as I hand it over.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF MAKING A SANDBOX RPG IF THE GAME'S JUST GOING TO FUCKING CHEAT

Actually, he more than likely just equipped it. If an NPC equips something, it vanishes from the inventory you access when you pickpocket. They'll only un-equip it again if the weapon or armor falls to 0 condition.

Fezzik

Cipher
Hitting a game-breaking bug in Dark Sun 2 and realizing every one of your saves is fucked up.

Antihero

Liturgist
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
bhlaab said:
So I give it to the dark elf, get the gold, and then set about pickpocketing the sword back off of him. Except it's not there.
Actually, he more than likely just equipped it.

Maybe their lazy way of avoiding an infinite XP exploit, or reworking the dialogue for it.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Risen, chapter 3 when I realize that instead of getting to explore new towns/npcs/quests all that's left is lizard combat.

Percy

Cipher
For mine it is in fallout3 where you go to that town founded by kids and couldnt kill them. FFS.

mornick

Scholar
Unkillable Cat said:
Eye Of The Beholder 3: The Mausoleum. It's a 2-level dungeon at the start of the game that not only features some of the most fiendish puzzles, but also some of the toughest enemies, including the only monster in the entire game that drains levels from your party. The problem? There's no need to enter the Mausoleum at all, as no progress-vital items are kept in there. What's worse, the ultimate reward for clearing out the Mausoleum is the Rod Of Restoration, which you'll only ever need...if you went through the Mausoleum! :X

Yep, I remember it well. The undead beasts were easily some of the most lethal monsters in the game - and the mausoleum was pretty much right at the start too. I sort of hope that it was included in the game as an attempt at very dark humour indeed.

Unkillable Cat said:
The first Ravenloft game has a similar problem as EOB3, only you have to go through almost the entire game to get your hands on the Restoration spell, and kill large groups of level-draining monsters first. But once you can cast the Restoration spell, you barely need it again.

The first Ravenloft game stands out as one of the scariest RPGs I had tried. I mean, the atmosphere was dark ok - but by scary I mean that there were so many ways of fucking up it wasn't even funny. Zombie Golems = OUCH!

Unkillable Cat said:
Ultima 9: Finding out that Britannia has...shrunk since you were there last. :cry:

Shrunk yes. But being 3D I found that there was still quite a lot to explore. The really sad thing about Ultima 9 is that it could have been so much better than it was. Lot's of issue with the game - but I still don't think it was a bad game - just a bad Ultima.

...however, after U9 there can never ever be any redemption for EA. I shall always hold a grudge and oppose them in any way I can. Even, should they ever again publish a decent game there shall be no revenue from this quarter.

Unkillable Cat said:
Ultima 7, Part 2: There's a bit in Moonshade where the only way to progress further in the game is to gossip with a specific shopkeeper about a specific person, but only after this specific person has appeared in Moonshade. This gives you a piece of info that you must use to continue in this all-too linear game. I got stuck on this for months back when I originally played Serpent Isle, because there isn't even a hint or a suggestion on what must be done to continue.

Serpent Isle is an incredible game. It is, coincidentally, also incredible difficult in places.

Unkillable Cat said:
Anvil of Dawn: You can't rest. Makes the whole game tedious and sluggish.

I've never been able to leave the first or second map without the game crashing. Guess it could be some sort of sneaky "Copy protection".

Fezzik said:
Hitting a game-breaking bug in Dark Sun 2 and realizing every one of your saves is fucked up.

I had a game breaking bug in Dark Sun 1. For some reason the templar army always failed to spawn. I managed to play through the entire game twice with the same "somewhat" anti-climatic conclusion.

The Imp level in EOB2 stands out as being one of these unsurmountable hurdles that sapped your will to play the game. You'd just managed to overcome the "Skeleton Room" and then you get this... Actually, EOB2 was just generally real fucking hardcore. Only a masochist would truly enjoy it in its entirety.

EOB1 was relatively soft - although poisonous spiders and paralysing mindflayers did keep you on your toes.

Finding out that divine intervention ages your cleric in M&M ... very very late in the game.

Let's just say that in Ultima 6 the saying "Karma's a bitch!" holds very true indeed.

...but I suppose that all of these are in fact fond memories. CRPGs were just much much more hardcore back in those days. And often you had no idea of what you were doing, where you were, what you were supposed to be doing, where you were supposed to be going, how you were supposed to do whatever it was that you should do or how to get to where you had to do it.

Antihero said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
bhlaab said:
So I give it to the dark elf, get the gold, and then set about pickpocketing the sword back off of him. Except it's not there.
Actually, he more than likely just equipped it.

Maybe their lazy way of avoiding an infinite XP exploit, or reworking the dialogue for it.

It's the same way it worked in Morrowind, really. Give an NPC a weapon or piece or armor better than what they have, and they'll equip it on themselves. That's why by the end of the game Ra'Virr in Balmora would end up having enough enchanted or Daedric equipment that he could stand up to my character for a awhile. I'd been giving him anything I wasn't particularly interested in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Now that I had a moment to think about this topic.... (Dragon Age) The sheer fact that the ashes of Andraste actually healed the NPC that we were tasked to find, and finish this quest.

The quest it's self was ok, but the end result was..... insulting, and there was SUCH opportunity to de-mystify the presence of Andraste, but Gaider chose not to.

That quest and The Derpa Roads made them the worst cRPG moments of all time.

Gobbo

Novice
Konjad said:
SEWERS IN BLOODLINES FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:RAGE:

Other than that there wasn't really anything special.

So true, I dropped the game after those god afwul sewers. :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom