Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst moment in a cRPG

Deleted member 7219

Starting up Wizardry 8 and realising it was a bunch of shit and despite what all the fags say, it is story, choices and consequences that make an RPG, not turn-based party combat.

Radisshu

Prophet
Story and consequences without dice rolls or at least stats or skills isn't role-playing

I.C. Wiener

Educated
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
LPA24-54.jpg
I don't remember exactly, was that the mine where you had to go to get somebody's shoe or something like that? If so, I don't remember anything particularly bad about that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, not that... but I don't really get it anyway. I assume it's because you have to go in those mines and apparently they're so horrible.

despite what all the fags say, it is story, choices and consequences that make an RPG, not turn-based party combat.

I'm sorry, but it is you who is the fag.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I.C. Wiener said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I don't remember exactly, was that the mine where you had to go to get somebody's shoe or something like that? If so, I don't remember anything particularly bad about that.

Bates sends you there to discover the whereabouts of the Black Mountain Clan, for some reason I can't remember, just before you get sent to the Isle of Despair. It's about five levels deep, full of annoying golems and totally devoid of interest, it's just an absolute mind-numbing slog in an otherwise great part of the game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's about five levels deep, full of annoying golems and totally devoid of interest, it's just an absolute mind-numbing slog in an otherwise great part of the game.

At the worst, you need to go through ONE level to get to the king. You can also get to him without entering the mines themselves.

Matt7895 said:
Starting up Wizardry 8 and realising it was a bunch of shit and despite what all the fags say, it is story, choices and consequences that make an RPG, not turn-based party combat.

:codexrage:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
FeelTheRads said:
It's about five levels deep, full of annoying golems and totally devoid of interest, it's just an absolute mind-numbing slog in an otherwise great part of the game.

At the worst, you need to go through ONE level to get to the king. You can also get to him without entering the mines themselves.

You're thinking about the Wheel Clan.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
FeelTheRads said:

One level of crap is still crap.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Azael said:
FeelTheRads said:

You're thinking about the Wheel Clan.

Yep, different dungeon.

Fritz Haber

Educated
I liked the BMC mine. It has lots of things that are nice and there are far worse areas:
Vendigroth ruins and the void comes to mind.

Tails

Arbiter
Probably Bloodlines, getting to Prince LaCroix. Fight with his bodyguard made me to quit game for a while, I couldn't take the heat.

visions

Arcane
Fritz Haber said:
I liked the BMC mine. It has lots of things that are nice and there are far worse areas:

Hah, I also liked it. Liked Vendigroth too :D

Shannow

Waster of Time
DA:O: The Landsmeet
NWN2: The Trial
MotB: The end
KotOR: The end
Risen: The end
VtMB: The end
Arcanum: The bugs
FO3: The end (although the rest also ranged from mediocre to crap)
NWN: dragon fights
M&M9: the beginning

I can't think of a single "worst" moment but those were bad enough to be memorable.

Radisshu

Prophet
Rageing Atheist said:
Fritz Haber said:

WHAT was good about it, specifically?

Phelot

Arcane
Arcanum: those stone golems, or anything that damages your weapons when you strike them or damages your armor when they strike you...

Ultima 8: A few of the underground areas were a chore especially the jumping stones in water were the avatar randomly slides off of them at times.

Ultima 7: some pretty frustrating combat experiences

Baldur's Gate: a lot of the underground areas, Ulcaster's, kobold mines... it's not fun waiting for your party to get somewhere and then finding out they've all gone in 6 different directions.

Jora

Arcane
All the numerous bugs in Arcanum for me. They really made playing the game a pain in the ass.

Fritz Haber

Educated
Well, let's see:

-derelict living quarters/gardens/workshops/smelters
-the trapped tunnel with a mad dwarf at the end
-Molochean Hand agents dead with a little bit of foreshadowing (although they are rather overused for that)

I can see how people think it a chore, especially the golems with weapon degradation.
But I found it to be a dungeon with a lot more character than Vendigroth ruins or nearly every sewer.

visions

Arcane
Radisshu said:
Rageing Atheist said:
Fritz Haber said:

I didn't say it was good, I said I liked it, there's a quite big difference I think, for instance I might say that I liked Jay and Silent Bob, but I would not call it a good movie. It's easier to explain why I think something's good (eg well done), harder to explain "liking" something.

I think nostalgia, rose-tinted glasses and all that shit plays a role here, as the last time I seriously played Arcanum was about 5 years ago when I was a relatively unexperienced and impressionable teenager and my memory might be clouded. I'm not sure what I'd think of it today but I'm planning to replay Arcanum this year, to see how it holds up to me.

I'm not quite sure whether you asked about BMC or Vendigroth but I'll try to remember what I liked. As Fritz said, BMC had a quite distinct character, I liked how it was built, exploring old living quarters and getting through the frustrating trap filled tunnel to find this mad dwarf guy, thinking who the fuck is he and what's his role there.

As for Vendigroth, I don't remember too much about it, since I only got that far with one of my characters, but I vaguely remember liking something about it. Maybe the sense of exploring the ruins of what used to be a great city but was ruined because of its inhabitant's arrogance. I vaguely remember finding scraps of old Vendigrothian newspapers there, about their conflict with Arronax, which I enjoyed reading. When I was playing Arcanum I was pretty much into the game world and places that had some significance in the gameworld's history (like also Kerghan's Lab or the ancient temple), were interesting to me; for me making sense of the history of Arcanum was enjoyable like putting together pieces of a puzzle.

The parts I disliked the most were trudging through the Dredge in the Wheel Clan and the cavern-like jungle in Thanatos with shitloads of giant apes. Somehow Vendigroth and BMC didn't seem as tedious to me.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Fat Dragon said:
DA's Deep Roads. One of the most boring dungeon crawls I've ever played and it's about 4-5 hours long.

Ya I'd put about 30h into the game by the time I was ready to embark on the Deep Roads. Just couldn't make myself do it. 30h on the rail tracks to that point, and knowing there was so much more unavoidable monotony ahead of me... I hope it was worth it to you in the end.

Man I wish Bioware cared about gameplay mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom