Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wow, Deus Ex: HR's story is...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
... :retarded:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Grunker said:
How, exactly?

po_girl_l.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Both are by-the-book cyberpunk conspiracies. Complaints can be set to William Gibson et al.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Angthoron said:
Both are by-the-book cyberpunk conspiracies. Complaints can be set to William Gibson et al.

There is a not-so-fine line between a story involving four complex wishes for a future world as motivation for conspiracy and an insane old man who wants to kill everyone because he's a jealous cunt.

"lol I'll make everyone insane that'll show them"

And of course this very intelligent man who has made a carefully constructed plot is convinced of his wrong-doing in a conversation lasting 30 seconds.

"oops - my bad - sorry for the death of a couple of hundred thousands"

He's like Ozzymandias from Watchmen except ultra-retarded.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree with the OP. It was really undewhelming. The "press one of the three buttons and listen to some Discovery Channel shit" ending didn't help either. Philosophical and deep and tackling important issues, my butt.

Angthoron

Arcane
Grunker said:
Angthoron said:

There is a not-so-fine line between a story involving four complex wishes for a future world as motivation for conspiracy and an insane old man who wants to kill everyone because he's a jealous cunt.

"lol I'll make everyone insane that'll show them"

And of course this very intelligent man who has made a carefully constructed plot is convinced of his wrong-doing in a conversation lasting 30 seconds.

"oops - my bad - sorry for the death of a couple of hundred thousands"

He's like Ozzymandias from Watchmen except ultra-retarded.

I'll admit I've not seen the ending yet. Does it really fuck up the rest of the story so bad? Since the rest of it is quite alright, even if not judged by today's standards. This won't be in DEHR's defense, but original DE fucks it up right away with the fucking intro, to me at least. "Oh hey, let's reveal a major plot point, cause we're sinister that way. - Okay!" No other way of introducing Grey Death? Don't think so.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Before reaching the ending, I was quite interested in replaying this game.

Now I'm not even sure I will keep it installed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ed123 said:
I don't give a shit about game endings. At all. Show me how I impact the game world as I play, not in your precious little cg cutscene which you're prolly going to abandon for the sequel anyway.

"Because I care more about something else than this something I don't care about this something at all"

Bruticis

So true, the game started off as a neat little detective story. I enjoyed trying to figure out what had happened but it rapidly descended into LOL, OMG, WTF?!?. It's like the writers ran out of gas half way into the story.

Renegen

Arcane
Ed123 said:
I don't give a shit about game endings. At all. Show me how I impact the game world as I play, not in your precious little cg cutscene which you're prolly going to abandon for the sequel anyway.

This is a complaint I don't understand. Have people who say this even played the previous Deus Ex games? This isn't Fallout, it's Deus Ex, where the endings are your vision of what the future should look like.

As for the ending and writing, it felt a bit underwhelming at the end, but you kind of have to understand they were boxed in the whole conspiracy storyline. The story is about some powerful groups that want to use augmentations to rule the world. That theme is pretty consistent. It had a few less plot twists than the original, but overall the story has the same feel.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Renegen said:
Ed123 said:

This is a complaint I don't understand. Have people who say this even played the previous Deus Ex games? This isn't Fallout, it's Deus Ex, where the endings are your vision of what the future should look like.

OK, lets see.

Choice 1, Complete control over the world through an Human/Super AI hybrid. That JC were to guide and insure human nescecity and wants was nice but "paved with good intentions" and all that.

Choice 2, Let an authoritartian shadow goverment rule the world through their own agenda.

Choice 3, collapse human progress and infrastructure so we can all run away from issues instead of dealing with them.

IF anyone want's any of these scenarios....they're retarded.

It was three cutscenes you basically had to flip a button for, entertaining yes, thought provoking?....for teenagers yes.

But christ, its not enough reason for making the epilouge the highlight of a game.

Cassidy

Arcane
deus101 said:

So, not having an obvious "good that will make the world better for sure" or a "MWAMWAMWA I'm so evil so I'll pick this as it'll definitively fuck the world the most" option is bad design?

:retarded:

ChristofferC

Magister
What I don't understand is how one simple speech could have such huge, uniform effects on the whole world for decades to come, and how Eliza can know what those effects will be beforehand. Sure, she is a super advanced AI, but it just doesn't work that way. They should have shown you the contents of the speeches before you make the decision, and shown the effects of the speech you choose *after* you make the choice (and tone down the effects of the speeches A LOT).

Even better, they should have let you construct your own speech from dialog choices, and generated an ending sequence based on those choices.

baronjohn

Cipher
What was happening in Panchaea was going on in the whole world. Everyone with the new chips was going crazy and killing people, there were probably millions of dead everywhere. Obviously, the choice of who to blame will determine the future of augmentation technology.

Captain Shrek

racofer said:
Before reaching the ending, I was quite interested in replaying this game.

Now I'm not even sure I will keep it installed.

I am step ahead of that curve.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Cassidy said:
deus101 said:

So, not having an obvious "good that will make the world better for sure" or a "MWAMWAMWA I'm so evil so I'll pick this as it'll definitively fuck the world the most" option is bad design?

:retarded:

no, I'm saying that on the whole its pointless anyway. Deus ex Endings were good but....they were pointless. Not saying they shouldnt be there...just...for a game...they are MOSTLY POINTLESS!

The thing isnt that its a simple bad/evil ending but that ...retarded dude i responded to (WITH HIS STUPID AVATAR :x ) appriciate the narrative in a game...TO MUCH.

When you start bringign litterary critique in games....i get grumpy....it just touches me a bad way because of the overfocs of it lately. on story.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I found that I didn't mind the endings as much as the execution. The narration sections are kind of bland, but they are more than we got out of Deus Ex's endings...but the perspective that they take does fit with the game centering on Jensen's story more than the story of the conspiracy. None of that excuses a lame endgame area, though.

I was rather looking forward to seeing Panchea as I played the game. I had it pegged as the endgame location very early, and going into it I was expecting something akin to the original game's Area 51: something sprawling and complex and trying of the skills that you've developed over the course of the game. And while Panchea certainly presents the player with some options, it's never as challenging as a final area should be. The whole thing ultimately just sits there and waits for you to walk through it; the biggest challenge it presents being the drain on ammo and energy for someone trying to do a non-lethal playthrough. And then at the end, you're just presented with all of the buttons in a neat row? I won't pretend that Deus Ex's endings were particularly deep or well developed, but at least the designers went through the trouble of making you do a different task to get each ending. That's my real disappointment: that they took all of the good will that they developed over the course of what was, realistically, a very fine game...and they squander it on a lazily implemented ending that has only lazy gamers in mind. It's such an about-face in terms of design that it's really very jarring, and while I'm glad that I was given options it would have been nice to have had to work for them at least a little.

Redshirt #42

Augur
I'd say the game's endings were good for what they were. They obviously ran out of budget and had to improvise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom