Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Well, Kronos 1 has been down a while, which is shit.

UPDATE:

The logistics involved in this are extremely complex, so to avoid further disappointment, we are pushing back our initial ETA for the return of Kronos by 24 hours.
This ultimately means that our servers should be back online sometime on Tuesday.

Tuesday is the new Thursday, apparently.

This idea came from that thread but I guess it deserves its own.

Now that I'm stuck in Mexico I got the itch to play WoW again. I dropped out during the first expansion, just before the last big content update, and haven't touched it since. I missed the other expansions and to be honest I do not feel the lack from what I read. Vanilla WoW on the other hand gave me many hours of fun roaming, questing, instancing and experimenting with stupid shit. The raid content was kinda boring all things considered but before I got there, I experienced something I never found anywhere else.

So there's this private server, as discussed in the other thread, that tries to replicate the old experience with original XP, reputation and honour gains. Being a private server it is obviously free and interestingly enough it doesn't accept donations at all—apparently the philosophy behind the server is that they will never accept any form of donation and will keep it free. The good news is that everyone should be on equal footing compared to other servers where a donation will you get unique items or bonus.

It'd be fun if more people were interested to make a Codex group or something, maybe bring back the Brotherhood of Butthurt if possible. I do not know if some of you are already present on that server, in which case this thread would be a good way to regroup people. Ideally we'd all be on the same side so if anyone is interested just post here and tell whether you'd rather go Alliance or Horde. Myself I'd rather go Horde since I played Alliance before but I'm not troubled either way.

Playing on that server is pretty straight-forward: first you'll obviously need to download the game (alternatively if you got your old WoW CDs or DVD you can use that) and patch it to the latest vanilla patch. Once the game is installed and patched, simply open realmlist.wtf in the WoW folder and replace its content with "set realmlist wow.therebirth.net".

While it downloads you can create your account on the Rebirth server. This should be easy enough. It's important to note however that this will let you create an account for the website and inside this one you will need to create an account (or more) for the game. The reason is that one WoW account can only have characters of the Alliance or the Horde but not both, and is also limited to eight characters maximum. Rebirth simply lets you link several game accounts with your website account for convenience.

I already got a lvl 11 Undead (Horde) Warlock but I can easily drop him and go Alliance if there people prefer to do that. I don't expect we'll get huge numbers, given the general hostility of the Codex to MMORPGs, but … WoW vanilla was fun and it's even better with people you know. So, anyone interested?

Come give it a try it's free!

Edit: Here's an archive with tons of mods compatible with WoW 1.12.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?pyvkq7qt9lk09dq

Obviously you do not want to install all of them but some can make your life easier from the start and you might find using others at higher levels. Right from the start I recommend using stuff like AutoProfit (adds a button in vendor screens to automatically sell junk), AdvancedTradeSkillWindow (improved menu for the professions) and Gatherer if you have a gathering job like mining or herbalism (keeps tracks of the gathering nodes you already harvested). Mobinfo2 is always worth considering as it keeps track of the enemies you fought, the XP they gave you, their health, loot statistics, etc.

Edit²: Currently we got:

Xor: Mode, Paladin
Wilian: 60 Wilian - Paladin; 60 Ariet - Rogue; 60 Shaimy - Warrior; Alts: 32 Mollamaija - Priest; 28 Eleriel - Hunter; 24 Fizzlewiz - Mage; 6 Furimalf - Druid
Gragt: Gragt, Warrior
Merkwürdigliebe: Mosinnagant, Rogue
Ninjerk: Nintoo, Priest

This server is for vanilla WoW as in no expansion packs, correct?

EDIT: Just figured out the answer to my own question.

I played vanilla WoW back in the day before any xpacks were released.

It was a mind numbing grind that was at times awesome because it was my 1st foray into a gigantic virtual world and at times total shit because the only thing left to do at level 60 is raid raid and raid.

Nowadays though the graphics and game mechanics are fucking ancient.

Especially the graphics...

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, Kronos 1 has been down a while, which is shit. I guess all of the servers are shit. Feenix is dead, right?

Guess it's time to go back on Rebirth, now that is claims 2k people on server.

Cap was raised to 2.5k today after hitting the former cap of 2k and deemed stable.

Can't even initiate login to Rebirth now.

To quote the dev from forums couple hours back:

" I killed off the old VM today since we moved to a new machine. The old VM was routing people connecting to the old IP address to the new server.

If wow.therebirth.net isn't working the old DNS entries are probably being cached somewhere. You could try setting your realmlist to point at the new IP of 164.132.200.151 and see if that solves the issue.

Be aware that if you use the IP directly you will have to change it manually in the future if we change our address."

UPDATE:

The logistics involved in this are extremely complex, so to avoid further disappointment, we are pushing back our initial ETA for the return of Kronos by 24 hours.
This ultimately means that our servers should be back online sometime on Tuesday.

Tuesday is the new Thursday, apparently.

I do wonder what those logistics are though, because last time Rebirth moved wholly it took 30 minutes to be up and another 30 minutes to test :p

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If wow.therebirth.net isn't working the old DNS entries are probably being cached somewhere. You could try setting your realmlist to point at the new IP of 164.132.200.151 and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks, I had the old IP in there instead of name.

My old lvl9 mage from like 2 years ago is still there, so it's a seamless transition from Kronos where I was level 8.

And, there are some actual people in Westfall! Kind of! OMG.

I guess we'll see in the near future which disaster befalls which server first. I mean... I am filled with optimism. Yes.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
How's the server lag? Can it handle even that much?

In other news, L4G and Vengeance are bugged all to hell and the PlayTBC turned out to be a scam. So not much chance for playing Burning Crusade.

As for vanilla WoW, there's Crescent coming at some point in the future which seems promising. Vanilla.re is slowly growing at the moment.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
How's the server lag? Can it handle even that much?

In other news, L4G and Vengeance are bugged all to hell and the PlayTBC turned out to be a scam. So not much chance for playing Burning Crusade.

As for vanilla WoW, there's Crescent coming at some point in the future which seems promising. Vanilla.re is slowly growing at the moment.

Rebirth has increased cap incrementally. After having uptime of roughly 5 days with 1500, it was increased to 2k with no change in stability or latency when peaked. It was then upped to the Blizzlike max cap of 2.5k

From what I heard it could support up to 4k if so chosen after some threading magic but so far it seems like they'll stick with 2.5k

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
:necro:

Thankfully I submitted an /unstuck ticket via their site and am now on full rested experience. Let's do this!

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Hopefully they fix that. I'm enjoying the moment of peace in chat.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Feenix is dead, right?

:dead:

Feenix used to be good 3-4 years ago, than they introduced something called the 'Core Merger' and it completely destroyed the server. That and the admin who ran it (Athairne) was a fucking moron which ensured it's demise. Feenix reputation is so bad now that even if they do release another vanilla server no one is going to play on it.

First and last private server i ever roll on. I'm more than willing to pay the $15 per month for a vanilla legacy server.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
170 players online for the gates event. That must be a historic event.

Oh and Wilian, you never answered questions about the fake lawsuit. Oh and Rebirth is no banning people in-game if you say bad things about them in /r/wowservers

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
170 players online for the gates event. That must be a historic event.

Oh and Wilian, you never answered questions about the fake lawsuit. Oh and Rebirth is no banning people in-game if you say bad things about them in /r/wowservers

I don't know what you're smoking but we had around 1400 people online and there's now several guilds raiding both new raids.

As far as Imbaslap's salt goes, he was banned originally for advertising other servers on multiple occassions two years ago and even that was only temporary. I have no idea what he did ever since but I can't imagine any good reason to not ban him.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Imbaslap's, whom has been bitter to Rebirth for 2 years credibility told in few whispers. (Claimed Exiled had denounced AQ40 scripts of Rebirth)

1PKxwUg.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom