Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF...I can't bring myself to finish Thief 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, after finishing Thief 1 and 3, I wanted to finish Thief 2. This is a great series, I love it, but somehow I never played Thief 2. A few weeks ago I started this part of the trilogy, and liked it a lot. No surprise here, since most people say that this piece is the best of the three.

But, I'm at mission 12 now, and I feel that I'm losing the will to finish the game. It almost sounds like blasphemy, but it is like the game lost its wonder. I hate these mechanist cameras, and the robots, playing is almost like a chore now. This never happened to me with a great game like this. Is it me, or there are others who didn't like the endgame very much?

I don't know if I will finish it. I would feel bad not to, but I'm really not having fun, and I have other great game that I want to start.

DAT

Educated
BE A BITCH AND PUSSY OUT, BRO.

REMEMBER, IT'S JUST A GAYME.

Esquilax

Arcane
The last missions of Thief II are definitely rushed, that's for sure. Missions 13-14 are the weakest in the game, and the one you're on now doesn't seem to get much love though I seem to like it personally because of the unique set-up and conditions. Ambushing Cavador and hauling him around without getting spotted was fun and challenging for me. I liked the finale because I thought the atmosphere was great on it, but it is very large and is basically one huge fetch quest, so I could also see how some people find it annoying.

So yeah, not a surprise. There's a definite drop-off in quality in the last few missions of Thief II, even though overall I'd say that I like it as much as the first game. If you don't feel up to it, try another game and leave the last few missions for later.

Casing the Joint sucked, however. Probably the worst mission in the series. I almost always skip that one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Completely understandable, I felt the same way.

Yet some people will still bitch about how Thief 1 was inferior because of cave exploration zombie missions. I bet you'd love a little cave exploration now, wouldn't you?

Gregz

Arcane
Some of the Thief puzzles get very very tiresome. Criss-crossing the map 10x to find some objective or secret door or whatever is not fun. Don't get me wrong, great games, but I did ragequit a few times because of this. After I few months I would always come back to it though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Play another game or mission.

I actually enjoyed the last huge mission because it provided a lot of opportunities to do trick bow shots (you know, the kind where you have to take into account the curve the arrow does and aim higher). Felt like a real master bowman shooting out of a hundred meters.

DemonKing

Arcane
I too remember the end of Thief 2 being a bit dull compared to others in the series - the excessive use of robots/cameras was a bit painful.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I like the Children of Karras, but Thief 2 needed a wider variety of them. Instead of using that creepy little Cherub for one scare, they should have created a new enemy or made the cherub into a threat. As it is you have the non threatening worker bots, the sedentary watchers, and the only real danger in the combat bots. The spider bots arrive too late to make a difference, and the vast majority of the Children are still easily avoided alarms.

If you do make it to Sabotage at Soulforge, prepare for an entire level of this:

"Please be warned: a misguided soul. All Should hear the words of Karras, the words of Karras. I have seen... a malfunction. A malfunction. Dangeous conditions. I do not know. A malfunction. A misguided soul."

My worst thief experience was the Lost City. Running around looking for things in an empty, boring environment, made particularly annoying by the fact that I was mistakenly convinced I had already looked in a certain place for a certain passage and therefore didn't bother to look there again in my many, many circuits of the map to find the way to the next objective. Hated it.

The last levels of Thief 2 were never very enjoyable for me either. On subsequent playthroughs I just stopped the game before the last 2 levels or so and just treated it like I had completed the game already, and didn't bother with the rest. I had no interest in doing it over again.

The mechanical content in Thief 2 was actually a very good idea for giving the sequel that sense of difference from the more medieval first part but they unfortunately took it way too far. The game was way over-saturated in that stuff towards the end, and it really suffered from it. The mechanists should have been portrayed while they were still a minor faction in the city, with their constructs still few and far between. A focus on the hammerites vs. mechanists conflict as well would have been good. In fact I think there's enough potential in the original timeline for a full game to be inserted in between Thief 1 and 2 with a nice balance between the strengths of both settings

You are still an entitled privileged cisgendered pig for being able to play the game when I can't even start the game

catfood

AGAIN
Yes, it's a quite well known fact that Thief 1 > Thief 2. Only the "but dinosaurs and zombies hurr durr" crowd would tell you otherwise, but don't listen to them, they are dumbfucks.

But don't give up on it yet. Install the fan made expansion which is surprisingly well made. Not Thief 1 awesome but at least on par with Thief 2. And it offers a greater variety in levels so chances are you won't get bored. Also go here and get awesome fan missions. :D

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The lost city was completely awesome to me since i ran too far at the beginning and ended up with Garrett doing doing a flying leap over the abyss while saying deadpan 'it's a long way down'

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess I take a little break, and finish those last few missions. I'm a :obviously: Codexian afterall.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Idea:

a remake of Thief in the Dark Mod (Doom 3 engine) that incorporates ONLY the best missions from thief 1 and 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The mechanists should have been portrayed while they were still a minor faction in the city, with their constructs still few and far between. A focus on the hammerites vs. mechanists conflict as well would have been good. In fact I think there's enough potential in the original timeline for a full game to be inserted in between Thief 1 and 2 with a nice balance between the strengths of both settings
http://www.thief2x.com/

You just described it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I can see how you could get tired of Thief 2 at some point, even though I think even the later missions are very good. It can be a pretty exhausting game after all because of the OCD playing style it encourages. The last levels are not as good as the middle parts of the game, but then again, nothing is since games don't get any better than that. Taking a little break from the game should help.

On the other hand, in Thief 1 I usually can't get past The Haunted Cathedral which is a total stinker of a level, especially since it's followed by The Lost City which is even worse. On paper they're great levels, they just happen to be in a completely wrong game. Sneaking feels pointless since you can just run and jump through the levels like fucking Lara Croft and not suffer one bit from that. Escape! might have been pretty bad as well but I really can't remember since it's been ages since I even played that level. It's not a zombie/dinosaur thing for me either since I think Bonehoard and Return to the Cathedral are some of the greatest and most atmospheric levels in any game. I just think the first five levels are the best ones in the game, RttC and Strange Bedfellows perhaps being the only later missions that come even close. In Thief 2 they made the missions first and wrote the story later and the result is notably more consistent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Meh.
What's happened is that some people decided that "Thief = mansion burglary simulator".

I see Thief as a homage to all the typical activities of the D&D thief class, from picking pockets to plundering tombs.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Completely understandable, I felt the same way.

Yet some people will still bitch about how Thief 1 was inferior because of cave exploration zombie missions. I bet you'd love a little cave exploration now, wouldn't you?

I sure would.

4ZCAO.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom