Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Mortmal

Arcane
Its a bit less expensive there if you intend to get it legit :http://www.code4game.com/x-rebirth-pc-steam.html 38 euros vs 49 on steam . I'd rather get an official version tbh , it will probably requires months of patching as usual with egosoft , i cant wait to read the comment of steamtars with shitty hardware specs too .

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh yes, it will be a bug-infested trainwreck for months—there's absolutely not even the smallest doubt in my mind about that. The X games could score as high as 80-85% from some reviewers (not that I particularly care) if they actually worked properly, but instead only receive scores around 50-70% at launch because you can't swing a stick without smacking three thousand bugs.

That and the fact that it's a complex and hard-to-learn series with usually pretty bad documentation/tutorials.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah , a bug infested trainwreck, surfing , browsing forum to find tweaks and beta drivers to make it run . Obscure documentation and a tutorial that doesnt cover 1% of the game functionalities, good old egosoft. Pc gaming at its finest, fucking pc gaming :)
I cant wait !

Raapys

Arcane
By the way, on the subject of "just one ship":

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4123159

Bernd (developer) said:
This fear is partially correct. The Skunk will become better but not different. But dont forget drones you can fly for many different purposes and of course you can also own and indirectly control many capital ships.

The Skunk will be extended with various features (Engine, shields, primary weapons...) but not changed in form. The external look of your ship therefore does not change a lot.

Yes this is one among many other features we would love to do better, but sorry not in 1.0.

It's pretty much just one ship, very extensible but one ship nonetheless. I'll be okay with this just so long as it can range between an extremely fast scout and a slow, armored, heavily armed gunship.
I don't think that's how it'll work. The way I understood it, the only upgrades you'll do is to improve the ship, not change its style.

And as far as drones are concerned, they appear to be very situational. As in, rarely/never used in normal situations.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All those sexy cap ships that you can't pilot anymore. :(

Hey, no room for that kind of talk here, it's already been explained by a bunch of assfaggot fanboys who would defend anything truly insightful Codexers how not being able to fly ships anymore is totally awesome and anyone who disagrees is just butthurt because who wants to fly capital ships lollolollololololol.

Anyways, first game I bought on release/pre-ordered since Civ V, if you don't count all the Kickstarters. I'm pre-loading as we speak, and my body is ready... :bounce:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
By the way, on the subject of "just one ship":

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4123159

It's pretty much just one ship, very extensible but one ship nonetheless. I'll be okay with this just so long as it can range between an extremely fast scout and a slow, armored, heavily armed gunship.

Sounds exactly like the X-perimental Shuttle, the awesomely-titled ship from the first game to be honest.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Sounds exactly like the X-perimental Shuttle, the awesomely-titled ship from the first game to be honest.

Yep, that's what the developers keep saying. However, I personally enjoyed the freedom to pilot anything from a souped-up, ultra-fast prototype M5 scout ship to a slow but well-armed, versatile and reliable M6 corvette in the X3 series.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yep, that's what the developers keep saying. However, I personally enjoyed the freedom to pilot anything from a souped-up, ultra-fast prototype M5 scout ship to a slow but well-armed, versatile and reliable M6 corvette in the X3 series.

Same here, although I preferred a TM in the latest games, they had decent cargo space and shields and could dock a few fighters, while still being able to dock everywhere.

And again, getting an AI TL to build your station complexes was a massive pain in the ass.

hiver

Youll be able to pilot other ships - when you pay extra for it. Most probably.

Azazel

Arbiter

The biggest problem I have with this game is not that I can't pilot other ships, it's that the only ship I can pilot is named the "skunk" and is covered in goddamn skunk decals that I cannot take off.

I don't give a flying fuck about the shitty story Egosoft wrote, I don't care about their atrociously voice-acted call signs that necessitate not being able to rename the ship. It makes me gag with revulsion that I will have to spend the entire game piloting a ship synonymous with "Reeking Shit Barge " instead of whatever I would have named it otherwise.

For a series that's been about freedom they've certainly shit the bed massively and it's obvious that it's going to extend to quite a few other features as well, in the name of pursuing that "broader audience".

:keepmyjewgold:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
This has been my complaint since the first information came out. The dumbing down and linearising of the X universe. I recently watched a YouTube video, can't remember the name, but the amount of times they use the word "immersion" is absolutely ridiculous. And what makes all this IMMERSHUNZ? The stupid-ass crew in the ship, bigger explosions and better graphics. Oh and being able to walk around stations and do banal shit like in The Sims. Ironically what actually made the X games immersive in the past was the incredible freedom they allowed and the ability to micro-manage every tiny detail if you want, right down to which turrets will shoot at which target, or dumping cargo from ships on the other side of the universe or specifying how much damage your traders will take before jumping out, or letting everything go on on autopilot when you wanted. And it seems that most, or all of those has been greatly dumbed down or cut out completely, along with the universe being shrunk significantly.

Of all the fucks to give, why do "gamers" these days care more about some shitty love story (I'm sure it's in there) or having some irrelevant cockpit overlay more than the actual game?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Doesnt bode well if even the trailer footage has brakes. I'm expecting massive performance issues to run the game looking that good.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Your mother is infested with dubstep.

And what makes all this IMMERSHUNZ? The stupid-ass crew in the ship, bigger explosions and better graphics. Oh and being able to walk around stations and do banal shit like in The Sims.
Oh, and, you know, maybe, just maybe, the incredible detail the whole game is filled with. Where every ship or station has its purpose and isn't there just for show. Shit like that.

Oh, i know. You don't like the word, because Toddler popularized it. And since Todd is bad, and his games are shit, nobody should use that word ever again. Amirite?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh, and, you know, maybe, just maybe, the incredible detail the whole game is filled with. Where every ship or station has its purpose and isn't there just for show. Shit like that.

Perhaps his point is that rather than expanding and improving upon those strengths, they seem to be leaning toward decline-flavored "immersion" instead—for example, individual persons who can be approached and conversed with (how much manpower/resources did they expend implementing them instead of sticking with a menu system and lavishing more detail onto ships and stations?), a sexy female first officer of color, radial, apparently controller-centric menus, things of that nature.

I've been an X fan since the series existed, because I've been a space sim fan since forever, but your argument pretty much works against itself here. You describe the X series' strengths as immersive, then proceed to defend design decisions having nothing to do with those strengths... if I'm missing something here, set me straight.

I'm still waiting along with everyone else to see how Rebirth turns out, of course. I'm not even close to bashing the game—if it's bad, then I'll unroll some actual bashing and anyone still in denial by then will probably be somewhat perturbed.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Where do i defend the whole crew/NPC interaction gimmick?

Zarniwoop just focused on one pretty minor feature, and you just blew it out of proportions. The game may definitely be called immersive, if everything they said so far about a living and breathing, persistent universe is true. That, and those incredibly detailed space cities also help a lot (in b4 graphic whore!).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
At least they're not implementing multiplayer FPS combat on the space stations bros, we really dodged a bullet there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom