Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

trym88

Scholar
I'm still waiting for a video about the combat system, because that's one of the most important things. I'm already a little bit worried that they didn't show some in depth stuff about that. Hopefully, they won't fuck up this part of the game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm still waiting for a video about the combat system, because that's one of the most important things. I'm already a little bit worried that they didn't show some in depth stuff about that. Hopefully, they won't fuck up this part of the game.
they actually already did show combat more than a month ago

trym88

Scholar
they actually already did show combat more than a month ago

nah, I know that video but what do they say about the combat system in particular? About the balancing of weapons and different types of space ships, the use of weapons and other stuff... yeah nothing !

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Trailer looks sweet!
I hope they've improved the engine so it can handle a lot of ships in a sector at once, so we can have some properly sized space battles. X3 would grind to a crawl when there were a lot of ships fighting, that made the "war" part of Albion Prelude rather annoying to play.

Raapys

Arcane
Can't recall them saying anything about the controls and aiming, nor do I expect them to. I'd assume they mostly carried them over from the last game though, but who knows with this many changes.

hiver

Well, the ones i tried to play had the stupid normal FPS straight aiming which made hitting anything moving a rather annoying aspect of the gameplay. To say the least.
Seeing how they take some pointers from Freespace (on capital ships combat) i hoped that would also get improved.

gromit

Arcane
What would the difference be? I'm not sure what's not "normal straight aiming" in FreeSpace outside of missle-locks and the little target-leader reticule. One of the things I remember appreciating about x2, was how if you were in a shitty dump-truck of a ship, you really had to work to bring the craft into a good line.

hiver

Maybe i didnt explain sufficiently.
First, basically speaking : You cant really have this ordinary aiming in a space shooting game. You cannot just aim directly at the other spaceship and expect to hit it.
You need to aim in-front of its trajectory, also taking its "speed" and changes of it in consideration.

This can only be done with assitance of a computer - which is what a reticule represents.

Its not a matter of just arguing for "realism".
The problem is that by sticking to this ordinary way of aiming and shooting, you either make aiming almost impossible to handle, or you are then forced to "adjust" the gameplay and mechanics.

Both with horrible results.

Raapys

Arcane
The latest two or three games had mouse aiming linked(which could be broken) to ship control, and weapons could fire at an angle compared to the ship's heading.

hiver

Thats beside the pint. I didnt mean shooting in a straight line down your ships nose. Im talking about having to aim directly at an enemy ship while he is moving in any other direction then straight at you.
Or trying to compensate yourself.

Simply put, aiming with a ships computer assisting you with targeting reticule leads to better gameplay alltogether.

hiver

Thing is, we already have to close eyes to aerial combat mechanics in space... one would hope at least this detail can be kept specific as it should be.

Raapys

Arcane
Huh... Hasn't the targeting reticule been there since like...X3 at least, maybe even X2? Or am I missing something here?

hiver

Its not doing anything. Its a static ordinary cross-hair. - Edit:
wait... is that something moving in the distance, but... do you even need to shoot/aim at it? All targets are shot from close by where you can basically just shoot straight. And they are awfully slow... drones?

watch:

for some stupid reason the screen is either cropped or the guy did something with the Ui, (looks like its zoomed in a lot) because its supposed to look much smaller and leaner on the screen. Probably cropped a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raapys

Arcane
I've played all the X games and all the Freespace games, the targeting stuff is identical... Flying reticule which compensates for the target's speed and heading which you can choose to target if you want any hope of hitting a diagonally moving target.

Stop the X2 video at 10-11 seconds and look above the enemy Khaak ship. There's a red circle, slightly visible, in front of it. It shows through the top of the cockpit eventually, as the ship heads out of sight.

hiver

Ok. Still looks shitty. Like somethings wrong with it.
Hopefully its all better in the new game.

-edit-

its really weird though. I did try the...first one i think, thousand years ago, but for the life of me i cannot recall it had any kind of reticule. Theres just a blank in my brain when i querry X-rebirth-targeting.
And i watched a friend playing the third while complaining how there is no reticule and that aiming is horrible... though its possible he just fucked it up himself somehow.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
just to put my two cents, I remember that at least in X2 you could upgrade your ship with computer assisted aiming (the thing you pretty much describes hiver). Not sure now how it was before upgrade and also I don't remember exactly how it was in X3 (could be already built-in option).

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm yeah, it's quite possible you needed to buy the upgrade in all the games...

hiver

I never got that far then. The game rebounded me too much in too many other ways and there was the glorious Fresspace and its great smart missions, tactical play, great progression with that specific Freespace feel of "the shit is going down - suck the vacuum pilot", with no sentimental cheap crap. (yea, yea, different themes and stye-scope and all that - but regardless)

Raapys

Arcane
Oh, it was available in any trading station I think, for a token sum. At any rate, I generally agree with you; Freespace is definitely a better experience.

The X games have tons of potential, and it's nice to know you're able to buy and fly any ship you see and that you can build a huge economic empire, but they just kinda fail at the overall gaming experience. I'm not sure there's any one big thing that's wrong with the games, but there are countless smaller things. They've also been pretty bad at sound effects and atmosphere; it looks nice, but the rest of it is lacking. Freespace did that part extremely well; when you were in a huge firefight, you could really feel it in the ship. It was pure chaos.

There's also the general lack of content. Kinda strange saying that about the game that probably has the most content of any space sim out there, but it ends up trying to do so much that most of it is either average or poor. They've never focused much on the missions, and it shows. The economy tries to be complex, but ultimately it's a crappy and shallow system that doesn't really add to the game. And when you are rich, there's not much more to do than to jump into random sectors and blow everything to pieces. Which affects nothing but your relationship with that race.

The mods are the reason I fire up the latest game of the series once a year or so, but ultimately I always end up disappointed no matter how many mods I'm running. It's kinda fun'ish at first, starting from scrap and doing random missions to afford your first big ship, but then the fun just vanishes. With no reason to acquire more cash, and your actions having no real or permanent effect on anything, there's not much point in playing except for larping reasons.

That problem isn't exactly unique to the X games, but still. They've been doing them for over a decade now, and they just keep adding more of the same; increasing scale, but not depth. That's why I was initially pleasantly surprised by a fresh start to the series. Though from how I've interpreted things, it doesn't appear to be changing for the better.

hiver

That was pretty much my feeling too, from trying to play it and watching others. There is simply no point to it all. It like some sort of sim with simulation being the only purpose. And because they go overboard with features they dont have time to give any depth to any of them. In the end you just end up flying through systems and looking at spacy backgrounds and special effects.
You can generally have much more fun doing the same in Freelancer, even with its lulz-facepalm inducing "characters" voiced by microsoft narrator voice and simplistic "story" then here.

Its a mistake a lot of spacey games make, i think, instead of focusing on something specific and "smaller in scope" too many go for "hundred of systems! you can do anything! everything!"
Then due to impossibility of creating all of that with some depth and meaning they end up destroying the very sense of "bigness" they so wanted to achieve with all that stuff thrown in, on top of one another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom