Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
After 5 years most people have forgotten, get hyped again and "just buy" again. Not that I want Egosoft to "suffer" from this until the end of their days, but they seriously need a game designer with proper reasoning. So that shit like this can't happen anymore. Gimmickey useless shit and interface destroying the game. Even the main menu on startup of the game looks ugly and out of place. It's ridiculous. Kindergarten mistakes for a company that has 20 years experience.

DefJam101

Arcane
I've been watching a live stream on twitch.tv and communicating with the player. I don't have the game yet, but I will get it. From what I have seen and read, the underlying game is all there.
Hey maybe you didn't get the fucking memo but in this glorious new X game we can no longer automate trade in any capacity, no longer give remote buy/sell orders to ships, no longer give specific orders (such as: formation, movement, defend, etc) to ships, no longer pass time to speed up menial tasks using SETA, no longer build stations anywhere we want, no longer target enemies without first clicking on them, no longer bind things to hotkeys in general, no longer trade goods without docking at a generic station interior, no longer travel without engaging in a boring and repetitive minigame that swallows much more time than a loading screen, no longer look around inside the cockpit, no longer do anything at all without navigating a radial menu tree, no longer see where the fuck we are on the map, no longer see where the fuck we are on the minimap (because it doesn't seem to exist), no longer view any information at all except on an in-cockpit flatscreen approximately 1/5th the size of the player's monitor after first having viewed a helpful two second long "you are now looking at important information" pan animation while the rest of the universe conveniently pauses so your ship doesn't crash into anything.

But no you're right, just another typical Egosoft release. The modders will fix it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been watching a live stream on twitch.tv and communicating with the player. I don't have the game yet, but I will get it. From what I have seen and read, the underlying game is all there.
Hey maybe you didn't get the fucking memo but in this glorious new X game we can no longer automate trade in any capacity, no longer give remote buy/sell orders to ships, no longer give specific orders (such as: formation, movement, defend, etc) to ships, no longer pass time to speed up menial tasks using SETA, no longer build stations anywhere we want, no longer target enemies without first clicking on them, no longer bind things to hotkeys in general, no longer trade goods without docking at a generic station interior, no longer travel without engaging in a boring and repetitive minigame that swallows much more time than a loading screen, no longer look around inside the cockpit, no longer do anything at all without navigating a radial menu tree, no longer see where the fuck we are on the map, no longer see where the fuck we are on the minimap (because it doesn't seem to exist), no longer view any information at all except on an in-cockpit flatscreen approximately 1/5th the size of the player's monitor after first having viewed a helpful two second long "you are now looking at important information" pan animation while the rest of the universe conveniently pauses so your ship doesn't crash into anything.

But no you're right, just another typical Egosoft release. The modders will fix it.
:lol: This shit is hilariously dumbed down.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

1384689741619.jpg

Azazel

Arbiter
The shaders file for the game is riddled with references to the 360 sdk.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4206973#4206973

Macros.fxh

#ifdef _XBOX
// unused in Xbox case
#define sRGB ;
#define LIN ;
#else
#define sRGB ;SRGBTEXTURE=true;
#define LIN ;SRGBTEXTURE=false;
#endif

// Define different vFace for Xbox and PC
#ifdef _XBOX
#define VFACESIGN(face) sign(face)
#else
#define VFACESIGN(face) sign(-face)
#endif

In short, I was fucking right. This was a failed console port that they polished up for PC release to avoid bankruptcy.

Raapys

Arcane
That they made a "brand new engine" using DX9 kinda told us that already though.

DefJam101

Arcane
Looks guys, the modders are fixing it!

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349949

NESA - Never Enter Stations Again

One of the things I don't like most about X Rebirth is the walking around stations. Therefore, I decided I'd do something about it. I hereby proudly present:

This mod adds an entry to the Universe menu (MAIN MENU/3/3) which allows to remotely talk to NPCs on stations. All NPC types should be supported, and you get the full dialog options (including hiring, shopping, show me your skills etc.).

Raapys

Arcane
He speaks!

The answer to this is complicated: Of course we do not intentionally alienate old fans. But X Rebirth is not X4 for a reason. I know many of you would have preferred a true X4 where we just take X3 and make it better, add more on top.

Actually you can believe me that I wished many times in the past 7 years we would have done just that. Not because I lost faith in the different design goals of X Rebirth, but because of the financial risk in developing this huge monster over 7 years.

Anyway... Of course we will also improve the AI and add more possibilities to control your ships. However the goal is to not achieve this with just adding more and more command options.

Once you add a ship to another captains command hierarchy for example, you have no direct control over that ship anymore. The player only interacts with the top level commanders and they should deal with the ones bellow. Maybe we will add more micro management options e.g allowing you to tell the captain how to group his subordinates into squads etc. but you will not have a long list of AI modes for every ship in every squad.

That being said, my long term goal for giving you more control also over fights would be a more strategic interface. One where you can plan a battle more than just instructing individual ships. But this is definitely one of the bigger tasks and not part of these immediate things we are now working on.

So basically, they fucked up big time and decided to make it into an X game after all, they just didn't have time?

hiver

The shaders file for the game is riddled with references to the 360 sdk.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4206973#4206973

Macros.fxh

#ifdef _XBOX
// unused in Xbox case
#define sRGB ;
#define LIN ;
#else
#define sRGB ;SRGBTEXTURE=true;
#define LIN ;SRGBTEXTURE=false;
#endif

// Define different vFace for Xbox and PC
#ifdef _XBOX
#define VFACESIGN(face) sign(face)
#else
#define VFACESIGN(face) sign(-face)
#endif

In short, I was fucking right. This was a failed console port that they polished up for PC release to avoid bankruptcy.
Just like Witcher 2 then.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's like Oblivion's level scaling all over again.

Except far, far worse, since in the case of Rebirth, quite literally dozens upon dozens of features—many of which longtime fans of the series consider to be core features—are absent or have been replaced. This isn't only because Rebirth is built on a new engine and is barebones; it's also clear from the way the game is coded and structured that said features will never be re-implemented, or at best will be re-implemented in a limited fashion.

Oblivion is an extremely mediocre game and the thought of playing it for even five minutes makes me sick*, but mechanically it can be "fixed" with a half-dozen or so thoughtfully-constructed mods. That will never be the case with Rebirth. It's completely fucked.

*I'd rather play Oblivion than Rebirth, and believe me, that's saying something.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He speaks!

So basically, they fucked up big time and decided to make it into an X game after all, they just didn't have time?

Well yeah, they only had 7 years, they aren't wizards you know.

titus

Arcane
Patron
It's not hard to see that it's a game designed with consoles in mind/for consoles. The interface gives it away at a glance. It would have been good if it weren't a shit game for consoles though, if that can even exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom