Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Xi

Arcane
I've been watching a live stream on twitch.tv and communicating with the player. I don't have the game yet, but I will get it. From what I have seen and read, the underlying game is all there. It's just the presentation, UI, and some options that have changed.

I enjoyed TC, and am looking forward to this one. Looks good.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's an irredeemable pile of shit. Enjoy wasting your money. TC/AP was 10 times the game this is. The complexity most fucking definitely isn't there, and if it was it would be a nightmare to try and manage through this shitty map and UI.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's an irredeemable pile of shit. Enjoy wasting your money. TC/AP was 10 times the game this is. The complexity most fucking definitely isn't there, and if it was it would be a nightmare to try and manage through this shitty map and UI.

dungbeetlel.png

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Meanwhile the shitstorm has arrived at their forums. It escapes my mind that they didn't realize how they fucked it up with gimmicky shit and issues during 7 years of development. It's like they totally lost their common sense through all these years bunkered in their office, disconnected from reality. That's where I think Chris Roberts wouldn't fail, because he had enough input from outside, film industry, any kinds of diversity which preserved his common sense. While SC doesn't have all the "features" of X, it certainly makes sure they are polished and playable.

Edit: oh, their forums are down again. I must have had a lucky hour...

Last edited:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yeah guys. I just read the comments on Egosoft forums and here. And what can I say... Game Over. The game should be coming to my doors in a couple of hours, but honestly, I don't even feel like opening it.
I always knew Egosoft devs were incompetent, but persistent, and with the help of community, their games eventually were entering playable state and were even fun.
But this..., they hacked so many things, simplified so many other things. I am afraid that cannot be repaired ever. I have no idea how detached from reality whole team must have been during the development period. It looks like they crawled under the rock around 2007 and never looked around how the gaming world is changing. Back then all bigger games were trending towards simplification, button-mashing and hand-holding. Now, we have 2013 and we are getting this streamlined turd that you cannot even fly with joystick, but with x360 controller! Whole UI is designed around the controller which belongs to the platform that the game is not even released on! How bad is this?

titus

Arcane
Patron
First of all let me start by saying that I am vey sorry if you personally experience problems with our new game.
I love it when they make it sound like you are the only one, or one of the few that have problems with the game, while the people complaining don't necessarily complain about the bugs/technical issues :thumbsup:
They did the same with Rome 2
:balance::hearnoevil::deadhorse:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
titus
I assure you that the EGOSOFT devs know exactly how badly their game has actually been received even by their most diehard fans, and blame themselves. They probably knew how grim the game's reception would be before it was released, and certainly tried mightily hard to hide the truth—mostly successfully. I imagine the core members are currently drinking heavily or perhaps even contemplating suicide in some cases (only half-joking). They know it's over... they must know.

I remember when X3 was released, and it wasn't like this. It wasn't even close to anything remotely like this, not by a long shot. I was prepared for an X3 release, or something a little worse than X3's release, but not an absolute laughingstock XBox controller disastrous shipwreck.

Denial and trying to keep their chins up is all they've got left. They'll never release another game after this, mark my words. I will get myself banned from the Codex on purpose as contrition if they do.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I assure you that the EGOSOFT devs know exactly how badly their game has actually been received even by their most diehard fans, and blame themselves. They probably knew how grim the game's reception would be before it was released, and certainly tried mightily hard to hide the truth—mostly successfully. I imagine the core members are currently drinking heavily or perhaps even contemplating suicide in some cases (only half-joking). They know it's over... they must know.

I remember when X3 was released, and it wasn't like this. It wasn't even close to anything remotely like this, not by a long shot. I was prepared for an X3 release, or something a little worse than X3's release, but not an absolute laughingstock XBox controller disastrous shipwreck.

Denial and trying to keep their chins up is all they've got left. They'll never release another game after this, mark my words. I will get myself banned from the Codex on purpose as contrition if they do.
Well, I'd say it's just marketing people doing damage control.
It's really sad how all these niche devs try to make their games for people who don't give a shit about the game that they are doing. Instead of appealing to the fanbase they try to allure the hypothetical "casual gamers out there".
I mean, seriously, who the fuck came up with the idea to have that awful FPS/action part in the game where you go and "find" crates of "goodies". :lol: It's a fucking space sim not Quake.
Or the damn highway minigame(the highway itself is pretty good though). Instead of setting up SETA and drinking your tea/cofee in the meantime, now you need to press up/down/left/right like a reatarded ADD afflicted moron who plays Dance Dance Revolution. And it's not even fun.
Or the fact that you need to talk with people(lol at the women bodies/male heads) to do shit.
It will be even more :retarded: if all the flying ships don't affect the economy as some are saying right now.
Talk about a disapointing year... this have been one of the games that I was waiting for.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not only do the ships not affect the economy, the ships in the highways don't even come out the other side. They just vanish when you get to the end of the highway/SUPERhighway.

All the tards going "lololololol Egosoft games are always like this" : no they aren't. X:BTF was perfect at launch, X2 had a few bugs and Reunion had lots but was still fun and playable. TC and AP were basically expansions so released without bugs as they were sorted already. But this buggy station-robbing simulator populated with old-ass ladies with tight young bodies and Mass Effect dialog wheel for menus is a disgrace.

Fun fact 1: a current bug (at least on mine) makes the first trade mission impossible to complete. When you choose sell on the trade menu, you can't, because your freighter has "too many trips planned" (which to Egosoft seems to mean 3). Which trips are those? Hell if I know, there's NO FUCKING WAY to see or cancel them, since you can't control your ships directly anymore, or indeed even indirectly through menus. All the depth is there, my ass. This situation is caused by fun fact 2: The Albion Shitbucket has no cargo hold. Yup, none. Everything you want to buy needs to be loaded onto the bigass oil tanker and moved at a snail's pace across the universe. And thanks to SETA suddenly being retconned out of existence (thanks, Egojerks) , it takes you ages just to complete a simple mission of delivering 100 energy cells.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Meanwhile the shitstorm has arrived at their forums. It escapes my mind that they didn't realize how they fucked it up with gimmicky shit and issues during 7 years of development. It's like they totally lost their common sense through all these years bunkered in their office, disconnected from reality. That's where I think Chris Roberts wouldn't fail, because he had enough input from outside, film industry, any kinds of diversity which preserved his common sense. While SC doesn't have all the "features" of X, it certainly makes sure they are polished and playable.

They know. That's why they point blank refused to show any gameplay and only released some trailers.

I'm glad I dodged the bullet on this one. I already had the rancid cock of disappointment rammed down my throat once already this year in the form of Rome 2.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I'm glad I dodged the bullet on this one. I already had the rancid cock of disappointment rammed down my throat once already this year in the form of Rome 2.
Heh... yeah, same here. Although I would have been glad to have a game to play, as well. Or better yet 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
More like X-Afterbirth amirite? Ah well, shame. I really wanted this to be a decent modern day Freelancer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also didn't realize they went with a cell-shaded look until now. Sort of an odd choice for a space sim... even one more action oriented than the predecessors.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Borderlands Effect: The PC Console Game: Stillbirth

I'm not sure that's actually cel shading, though... I think it's just the eye's attempt to connect genuinely terrible graphics design with something at least semi-comprehensible by the human brain.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Steam seems to have taken the game off the first page advertisements now as well despite it being the current top seller. Hive fleet shitstorm may have invaded the X forums but steam discussions currently has nothing but white knights in apologist defense formation.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Steam seems to have taken the game off the first page advertisements now as well despite it being the current top seller. Hive fleet shitstorm may have invaded the X forums but steam discussions currently has nothing but white knights in apologist defense formation.

There are still plenty of disgruntled people mixed in with the EGOSOFT Defense Force. The devs were attempting to placate people on the Steam forums (because their own were down, kek) and may have temporarily succeeded with those who appreciate placatory gestures—pity is a powerful force.

Also, I imagine enraged X series veterans exhausted themselves quite a while ago, then drank themselves into a stupor before crashing sometime last night.

I'm relatively unaffected by this because 1.) all my space sim hype has been spent on Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen for the past year (haven't followed Rebirth at all), 2.) I didn't give EGOSOFT any money for this game (financial loss wouldn't hurt, but the idea of rewarding them in any way for this would be repugnant), and 3.) I haven't played TC much at all and AP not at all, so I actually still have a real X game to play for hundreds of hours that's relatively bug-free and not a hideous pile of shit.

:Flash:

Arcane
Fun fact 1: a current bug (at least on mine) makes the first trade mission impossible to complete. When you choose sell on the trade menu, you can't, because your freighter has "too many trips planned" (which to Egosoft seems to mean 3). Which trips are those? Hell if I know, there's NO FUCKING WAY to see or cancel them, since you can't control your ships directly anymore, or indeed even indirectly through menus. All the depth is there, my ass.
The depth is so much hidden from the user interface that you have to edit the savegame file in order to change or delete cargo trips:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=348036

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Steam gonna Steam. Their forums always have nothing but a bunch of apologists no matter how shit the game is.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

CaptainObvious.jpg

Echo Mirage

Arcane

Steam gonna Steam. Their forums always have nothing but a bunch of apologists no matter how shit the game is.

True. Steam discussion forums can make for some great reads at times though. Nothing for me, beat reading The war Z apologist/defense threads at the time. "I don't care if its a scam, I'm having fun !". But the Steam discussions thread for Xrebirth has yet to produce such gold since a lot of people are still in the denial phase.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Actually, Star Citizen is going to have multiplayer FPS battles during boarding, which has the potential to be even worse than the stations in X Rebrith...

There are actually quite a few similarities between the two games, in that they make a lot of impressive promises and have some dumb feature bloat. I do trust Roberts more, if only because he has more money and experience in delivering good production values, but still expect Star Citizen to be a bit of a mess at launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom