Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Typical console kiddie would be bored out of his 5-second attention span within the first half hour of flying from point A to point B (SETA? Whazzat?), so if they tried going for that market I'd laugh hard (and also fap in anticipation of the inevitable trainwreck).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If the port will be technically feasible and self-publishing on consoles won't be too much of a hurdle, then I think it will happen. Money speaks louder than inept console trash (or bitching elitist PC gamers, for that matter).

Mortmal

Arcane
Its hard to believe it will stay pc exclusive when the latest x3 patch added gamepad support. This one will have it inbuilt from the start,it screems xbox one ps4 port. It looks fantastic on the videos, but remember only one modular ship, no capital ships no choices this time and likely to be very very streamlined; thats never a good thing , i can enjoy a casual game from time to time ok, but every fucking games get streamlined now. The problem is that the complexity and the sandbox part was one of the main reason i was playing those games, this will alienate the old playerbase and not convince the mainstream one as dropping to their level means making a shooter .

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
At the moment it has been announced as a PC exclusive.

Diablo 3 has been announced as a PC exclusive, too.

Diablo 3 was never announced as PC exclusive. In fact, ever since it's original actual unveiling of 2007-2008 era (I can't remember which) they've always said that they are considering and looking to expand the tile beyond for the other platforms. The indication beyond their initial admission of expanding title should've been pretty obvious on their earliel Diablo title being ported over to consoles.

Whatever butthurt Diablo 3 causes, legitimite or not, console port is probably worst of them to pick up on.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Just found out this is a DX9 game only. Are X1/PS4 custom APIs even backward-compatible with DX9?

Good job Egosoft, probably no multi-core support either and only a 32-bit executable. :rpgcodex:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its hard to believe it will stay pc exclusive when the latest x3 patch added gamepad support.
As a sim, it should have had gamepad support from day 1. No, scratch that. As PC GAME, it should have had gamepad support from day 1.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, scratch that. As PC GAME, it should have had gamepad support from day 1.

No.
I used gamepads for my PC long before consoles became as popular as today, before the PS2 era. Gamepad periferals are made for PCs for decades now. A PC game should support more periferals than mouse and keyboard. This is why PCs are superiour to consoloes (among other things). Or do you think it would be OK for a flight sim for not supporting joysticks as well?

Baron

Arcane
I don't care about dogfights and joysticks, cockpit sounds like a dirty word. I only like the trading aspect of these games, talk to me about cargo hold size, the price of meatsteaks, zero-G guanxi. Floating through space to ambient space music is second on my list. The X series is flawed but still engrossing.

I am due for a PC upgrade, will be buying a monster rig to play Rebirth on. I hope to strip mine populated planets.

:Flash:

Arcane

No.
I have not followed the later X games, but I played X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension with a joystick. Which is how every space sim used to be played. Internally, a gamepad and a joystick are the same thing. The "control space ships with mouse" only came about when space and flight sims were already a dead genre and people didn't want to buy controllers for a dead genre.
I remember laughing at people who played Tie Fighter with keyboard and mouse. X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter even refused to start if you did not have a Joystick or Gamepad connected.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The first 2 games had controller support (unless you consider X-tension a separate game in which case it's 3), I remember playing the original with my Sidewinder Dual Strike. It was X3, 3.5(TC) and 3.75(AP) that didn't come with controller support because the interface was completely redesigned for mouse usage (the first 2 were mostly keyboard operated)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Whether this game is dumbed down or not doesn't depend on what the control system is or if you can pilot different ships, but on how the economy works and what options you have for industry and fleet management. We know very little about that.

What we do know is that there are mandatory tutorial missions before you're allowed to play in the sandbox, that certainly smells like decline. I'm sure mods will fix it though.

Baron

Arcane
What we do know is that there are mandatory tutorial missions before you're allowed to play in the sandbox, that certainly smells like decline. I'm sure mods will fix it though.

How is that decline? It suggests they understand they have a complicated game and the don't want the average player to leap straight in, without ever having opened a manual.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

How is that decline? It suggests they understand they have a complicated game and the don't want the average player to leap straight in, without ever having opened a manual.
They are denying experienced players the opportunity to play the game how they want from the start, just to make it impossible for dumbfucks to miss the tutorial.

Baron

Arcane
How long would it take for experienced players to complete this oppressive tutorial? 5 minutes? 10? Out of a game they'll play for 160 hours?

That's a lot of unnecessary butthurt, isn't it?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

No.
I used gamepads for my PC long before consoles became as popular as today, before the PS2 era. Gamepad periferals are made for PCs for decades now. A PC game should support more periferals than mouse and keyboard. This is why PCs are superiour to consoloes (among other things). Or do you think it would be OK for a flight sim for not supporting joysticks as well?

I think only a fucking retard would use a gamepad over M+K for an FPS. Hence, not all PC games need gamepad support. Apparently you and the other two momos that replied to me don't understand why I only quoted a select portion of your post.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

No.

I think only a fucking retard would use a gamepad over M+K for an FPS. Hence, not all PC games need gamepad support. Apparently you and the other two momos that replied to me don't understand why I only quoted a select portion of your post.
Who talked about FPS games? Ok, when I talked about every PC game should support gamepad, I wasn't talking about FPSs and RTSs obviously. I meant an X space sim game, which is on PC must have gamepad support.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
How long would it take for experienced players to complete this oppressive tutorial? 5 minutes? 10? Out of a game they'll play for 160 hours?

That's a lot of unnecessary butthurt, isn't it?
It's apparently mixed with plot missions, so at least an hour wouldn't surprise me. But it's not the time that's really important, but the attitude that every player has to be sent through the same wringer just to ensure that some people don't lose their way.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Wilian why are you defending the unwashed console hordes?

I don't think I was defending unwashed console masses as much as I was breaking someone's delusions regarding Diablo 3's PC "exclusivity"

AstroZombie

Arcane
Just found out this is a DX9 game only. Are X1/PS4 custom APIs even backward-compatible with DX9?

Good job Egosoft, probably no multi-core support either and only a 32-bit executable.

From the game's Steam page:

Minimum:
OS: Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit), Vista SP2 (64-bit), XP SP3 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel i-Series at 2GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GT400 series with 512MB RAM or better, ATI 4870HD with 512MB RAM or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
Additional Notes: These specs are still being determined

Maybe it'll have a 64-bit executable.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
At least they FINALLY have planet surfaces that fans have been asking for since the first game.

Quote to back this up?

In the video where Bernd explains the controls on gamepad: Anyone noticed that he says nothing about rolling? Just directional movement and strafing. Now that would be serious decline...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom