Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
Any mods for this that remove the pod system and change the 2 ap system to something more granular?

is it too much to ask that they don’t also make the game retarded in the process?
Just switch to Phoenix Point.
That’s a good point, but I really dislike the aesthetics of PP’s gobbledygook countries and factions. Backing away from using real nations was a limp dick move, and kinda kills the immersion for me. Makes the game feel more like a toy.
It is not like Xcom 2 does much with it.
That’s fair, but honestly they don’t need to do much with it. Having the game rooted in reality vs PP’s nonsense, combined with PP’s generic as fuck design elements, makes it fairly unappealing

I say this as a backer of PP’s Kickstarter who followed the degradation of the original pitch to its current commercial release. PP falls down on the aesthetics (at least), while nuXcom falls down on mechanics.

I guess neither is ready to hold the X-com mantle.

Parabalus

Arcane
Any mods for this that remove the pod system and change the 2 ap system to something more granular?

is it too much to ask that they don’t also make the game retarded in the process?
That’s a good point, but I really dislike the aesthetics of PP’s gobbledygook countries and factions. Backing away from using real nations was a limp dick move, and kinda kills the immersion for me. Makes the game feel more like a toy.
That’s fair, but honestly they don’t need to do much with it. Having the game rooted in reality vs PP’s nonsense, combined with PP’s generic as fuck design elements, makes it fairly unappealing

I say this as a backer of PP’s Kickstarter who followed the degradation of the original pitch to its current commercial release. PP falls down on the aesthetics (at least), while nuXcom falls down on mechanics.

I think this criticism applies to PP much more when compared with XCOM than with XCOM2, especially with WotC.

GrainWetski

Arcane

So FiraXCOM looking like FiraXCOM is great but Phoenix Point aping that awful 'aesthetic' is a problem? The entire failure of Phoenix Point is that it's just a slightly better FiraXCOM because they did a 180 and went after that audience after pitching something different.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

So FiraXCOM looking like FiraXCOM is great but Phoenix Point aping that awful 'aesthetic' is a problem? The entire failure of Phoenix Point is that it's just a slightly better FiraXCOM because they did a 180 and went after that audience after pitching something different.
I wouldn't say it's the "entire" failure but it's part of it.
The whole Epic Games Store thing didn't do it any favors either.
I swear EGS is a toxin to games. All it seems to do is split the player base and kill sales.

Apparently Troy Total War is decent now after they added monsters, but you'd never know it because of the EGS shit.

agris

Arcane
Patron

That's a really strange reading of what I wrote. I like my Xcom-likes rooted in reality, PP's aesthetics are off-putting for both the made-up countries/factions as well as the bland design.

That doesn't mean nuXcom is *good*.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
PP aesthetic is like that of toy solders, everything looks plastic like toy pieces. It is a far cry from what they promised in the initial screenshots and gameplay, where the characters and models had a more detailed, realistic look. I have no idea how they managed to pull such a brazen lie. The game looks way different from what was shown.

Ironmonk

Augur
If this guy had the opportunity to make Xcom 3, it would be a huge disappointment... why? since the tweet someone posted showing him bowing to Wokeism is evidently clear the direction he would probably take... not that another dev would not do the same anyway, but at least it would be expected instead of a disappointment.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If this guy had the opportunity to make Xcom 3, it would be a huge disappointment... why? since the tweet someone posted showing him bowing to Wokeism is evidently clear the direction he would probably take... not that another dev would not do the same anyway, but at least it would be expected instead of a disappointment.
Yeah, XCOM 3 would prob let you have black women as soldiers ... oh wait

Ironmonk

Augur
Yeah, XCOM 3 would prob let you have black women as soldiers ... oh wait
Once infected by the woke mind-virus you get the whole package + a permanent debuff called "impaired competence".

I'm a little bit surprised, but also kind of not. In retrospect, that makes all the "ackshually, making a Marvel game was totally our idea!" stuff seem like it was filmed at gunpoint.

That wasn't the final straw though, so it must be that something even worse is in the works that he is resigning over.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is:

Right & Left, and then -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- batshit insane progressives over here.

To be fair, Xcom always had a global vibe, even the first ones. However, it fits the setting, as it never felt woke to me. Xenonauts 1 is a bit different though since it's set in 70-80s during the cold war. Getting 50% female recruits always felt off to me in that game.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

RIP Firaxis Xcom

Besides Solomon leaving Firaxis, Firaxis has a new president: https://www.gurufocus.com/news/1952620/a-new-era-begins-at-firaxis-games
Before she joined Firaxis, she worked as Executive producer at Popcat. She's gulity of Fortnite or Plant v Zombies, to name popular titles.
It is possible people are leaving Firaxis because of the change of management? It might be reasonable it you expect things to go downhill, both creatively and internally. It also sounds like the time Firaxis was left alone to do whatever it wanted is over, with a tighter corporate control from its parent company.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom