Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Mmm....in all those videoreviews and new gameplays seems like the geoscape cycle desync issue isn't fixed. I hope this is just an old build or it will be a major disappointment

What is the problem? Don't understand. Haven't watched any videos.

The geoscape day\night cycle is completely random compared to the clock and missions time of day, at least in all those videos. When asked to devs about this issue they said "it's been fixed", so my only hope is that those are old builds.
Of course the reviewer builds were not updated. 1. they will not spoil current balance. 2. they would be pirated instantly.

Ebonsword

Arcane
This time around, Firaxis wants us to shine: to take risks, to react smartly but also swiftly - and sometimes, to crack terribly under pressure.

Interesting review. But one thing it doesn't seem to address is if you're totally screwed if you lose one of your leveled up soldiers.

I wouldn't mind them making the game harder by making it more likely you will lose soldiers, as long as you can still get by without them. But if losing a soldier basically means "whelp, time to reload", then the additional difficulty may get annoying.

Zeriel

Arcane
This time around, Firaxis wants us to shine: to take risks, to react smartly but also swiftly - and sometimes, to crack terribly under pressure.

Interesting review. But one thing it doesn't seem to address is if you're totally screwed if you lose one of your leveled up soldiers.

I wouldn't mind them making the game harder by making it more likely you will lose soldiers, as long as you can still get by without them. But if losing a soldier basically means "whelp, time to reload", then the additional difficulty may get annoying.

You weren't screwed in XCOM if you lost an entire squad of leveled up soldiers. I don't know why this meme is still around, other than shitty players being shitty players.

You weren't screwed in XCOM if you lost an entire squad of leveled up soldiers. I don't know why this meme is still around, other than shitty players being shitty players.

You were on impossible, which is what you played if you weren't a casual.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Impossible was not fun to play though, so why would you do that? To overwatch a billion times per map and sluggishly move around trying to "trigger pods" one by one? Meh, boring. Classic&Ironman was much more fun, you could actually "play"

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't remember which review I read it in, but this was specifically addressed. Apparently soldiers are more available as rewards now. If you lose your high level Sharpshooter you can get a new one more easily than in EU/EW. But of course there is an opportunity cost.

Don't remember which review I read it in, but this was specifically addressed. Apparently soldiers are more available as rewards now. If you lose your high level Sharpshooter you can get a new one more easily than in EU/EW. But of course there is an opportunity cost.

This is good. Anything that makes the strategic and tactical layers more interconnected with opportunities to sacrifice in one to shore up another is a good thing.

Impossible was not fun to play though, so why would you do that? To overwatch a billion times per map and sluggishly move around trying to "trigger pods" one by one? Meh, boring. Classic&Ironman was much more fun, you could actually "play"

XCOM wasn't fun at all until LW honestly. It was just bearable.

Classic wasn't that different from Impossible except in starting panic and the fact that sectoids didn't go down with 1 grenade.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sectoids on normal 3 HP, sectoids on Classic 4 HP. Thus sectoids on classic didn't go down to single grenade. On classic ironman you could recover from losing the squad if you had at least 3 missions with sectoids. But of course then thinmen came, and if you had still no laser weapons, only rookies, and only 4 squad members, you were screwed up. Gameplay with abuse of squadsight became necessity until you get more high ranked squad members.

Zeriel

Arcane
Sectoids on normal 3 HP, sectoids on Classic 4 HP. Thus sectoids on classic didn't go down to single grenade. On classic ironman you could recover from losing the squad if you had at least 3 missions with sectoids. But of course then thinmen came, and if you had still no laser weapons, only rookies, and only 4 squad members, you were screwed up. Gameplay with abuse of squadsight became necessity until you get more high ranked squad members.

You're being way too emphatic and absolute with your statements. I never liked snipers and never exploited squad sight and never had any problems.

I thought people were talking about late-game squad wipes when they talk about "recovering" from leveled up squad member losses. If they are talking about the first few months I don't even know what to say, squad members that are still within the first few ranks are even easier to replace than others.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looked at difficulty levels and
soldiers enemy rookies.
normal 5 HP 3 HP
harder 4 HP 4 HP
legendary 4 HP 4 HP

Legendary gets swarming enemies. (If there woudln't be pod activation, it would be actually difficult.)
You have significantly less money and longer research times on Legendary.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought people were talking about late-game squad wipes when they talk about "recovering" from leveled up squad member losses. If they are talking about the first few months I don't even know what to say, squad members that are still within the first few ranks are even easier to replace than others.

Recovering from late game squad wipes would be more easy.
1. You had 5-6 slots for rookies instead of 4.
2. You had money reserve.
3. You had wounded, or members in PSI training, which would be available few days after urgent mission.
4. You had Laser weapons, and carapace armor, which increased survivability quite a bit.
5. You had SHIVs.
6. If you really wanted you could get that training which made all rookies into squadies immediately.

And more importantly you could affort to abort mission and preserve rookies with promotion.

BTW I consider getting promoted soldiers quite weird, and somehow game breaking. You have much better sense of accomplishment when you rise rookies into high rank soldiers yourself.

Renegen

Arcane
Firaxis knows how to release a game because I've been dying for some good strategy games, I can't wait to play this one obsessively decline and all.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Pretty good ratings.
XCOM2_reviews-250x115.jpg

Zetor

Arcane

Recovering from late game squad wipes would be more easy.
1. You had 5-6 slots for rookies instead of 4.
2. You had money reserve.
3. You had wounded, or members in PSI training, which would be available few days after urgent mission.
4. You had Laser weapons, and carapace armor, which increased survivability quite a bit.
5. You had SHIVs.
6. If you really wanted you could get that training which made all rookies into squadies immediately.

And more importantly you could affort to abort mission and preserve rookies with promotion.

BTW I consider getting promoted soldiers quite weird, and somehow game breaking. You have much better sense of accomplishment when you rise rookies into high rank soldiers yourself.
OTOH if you're getting a late-game squad wiped in EW, you aren't just losing a bunch of LTs/captains/colonels, you're also losing like 20 days of genemod+psi lab time, 200+ meld, tons of credits, etc etc. Sure, you have genemods like Secondary Heart preventing your soldiers from getting gibbed, but a squad wipe will be a total loss either way.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if the extra options in the "Resistance Warrior Pack" are included in the stuff we've already seen where people go "here are all the options in my preview copy". Or if we'll see even more stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom