Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Holy shit snipers sharpshooters are even more OP in this game.

Kill Zone demolishes entire pods while Serial is even more powerful than In The Zone.

I can't wait for mods or Second Wave options to let other classes to use these skills.

They already can in the base game. Build an advanced war center

They just get randoms though. Still - sniper with run and gun is just lulzy.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Holy shit snipers sharpshooters are even more OP in this game.

Kill Zone demolishes entire pods while Serial is even more powerful than In The Zone.

I can't wait for mods or Second Wave options to let other classes to use these skills.

They already can in the base game. Build an advanced war center

They just get randoms though. Still - sniper with run and gun is just lulzy.

I got a ranger with killzone.
It actually hit something once :D

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Alright, finished 100% vanilla Ironman Veteran, on 26th of October, which I think is a "bit" late, but I took my time.

- No real bug or issue, at least 100% sure ones. Had a couple hacking wtf moments, a lancer doing weird shit once, but other than that, no real problem, no crash and whatnot.
- Once I turned off AA, got a pretty good FPS overall (60ish) during play though tad choppy here and there, but nothing problematic. Hopefully will be patched in to be even more stable.
- Way too many pauses during play.Not sure what causes it but reveals, enemy movement, overwatch and everything need to be tuned to be way smoother. Biggest annoyance by far for me as it really pulled me out of a good fun every time it happened.
- Might be because of Veteran but shit needs to slow the fuck down on start. Was completely overwhelming at first, then past June/July I pretty had nothing left to research/engineer but the story stuff. Mods will fix that bit I'm sure but it was fucking annoying.
- Didn't even touch PSI but didn't need to. Was rough at first because of new mechanics, new classes, random maps and everything happening at once, but once I found my footing, was pretty easy. Will probably try on commander at some point but apart from the very beginning, I don't think it should be a problem.
- Last mission was both bullshit and fun, weirdly enough. Didn't lose anyone though almost got overwhelmed at some point but for a first time, that can happen I guess. Now klnowing the place/setup, shouldn't be much of a problem.
- Overall, good fun for sure. Timers are great addition to put some pressure during missions and provided good variety. Random maps/Missions are awesome and will really boost replay-ability by a shit ton even as the story stays the same.
- I hope they're gonna put the cliff hanger thing in a DLC, not some XCOM 3 or some shit. With it's openness via mods, they really need to stick to this one in the future and just pile on shit onto it (maps, props, missions, classes, etc).
- Screw aliens! I want a Freedom Force mod for this shit, with super hero props/costumes/classes.

Mazisky

Magister
After finishing the game on commander last weekend, i think psi op are too op and everyone should rush them.

Mind controllling an Andromedon and use it as a tank every mission is too powerful, without even considering all others guaranteed dmg abilities the psi dude has.

Also ignoring story elements (without popping codex yet) and progressing the tech is the best way to afford the mid\late.

I wanna try rushing 2 psi ops as soon as possible on next playthrough

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK had more bugs/irritating shit on last play.
Bug
- Chrysalid got stuck on one spot and could not move from it or do anything. I could not use explosives to kill him (wasted 1 on it) because bugs. I was not even able to shoot at him until one of my troops got very close (closer than normal range). Since mission required me to shoot everyone I got scared for a moment a bug would ruin it

Irritating shit/possible bug
- My guy again got spotted by enemy when moving into cover where there was not red. These guys were behind some trees and I could not see them from where I started (one single move away), and cover spot was at edge of their vision and in cover towards them. I did notice that spot behind cover was considered red zone once my guy did see them during the move. I might not be a bug but it is irritating design. It means any movement while in concealment to any edge of building will remove it if enemy is on the other side of the edge making double moving while in Concealment a trap of epic proportions as you will be super close to them after their move and goes against needing to double move to complete all the bullshit timer missions.

Some comments
- used a Mimic beacon within sight and reach of heavy stun lancer but he decides to run beyond it and kill a civilian on terror mission making me fail it :(
- Fought my first Andromedon... interesting enemy..
Need to keep my guys even further apart when fighting him, he did 9 damage with acid shit to my Psi Ops
.. I should be getting Domination for my Psi Ops after this mission and future encounters with this creature will be very nice :D :D
- still have not met any Codex enemies. Do they appear only after some story parts are finished?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
used a Mimic beacon within sight and reach of heavy stun lancer but he decides to run beyond it and kill a civilian on terror mission making me fail it :(

They seldom do that, mimic is not %100 effective.

Fought my first Andromedon... interesting enemy..

Wait till you see 4 of them together :hahano:

should be getting Domination for my Psi Ops after this mission and future encounters with this creature will be very nice :D :D

Yup, you can also hack its second "form" for increased lulz. Also domination works on another powerful enemy which is beyond ridicilous since its one of the powerful psi enemies.

still have not met any Codex enemies. Do they appear only after some story parts are finished?

Only after a certain story event they begin to appear. Quite fitting name if you ask me, I wonder if anyone from 2K visits Codex

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah but what is concealment supposed to be? The power of invisibility and ability to see peoples visions? I thought it just meant you're hidden until found. So I guess not being able to see where enemies can detect you before you see them makes sense.

- Yeah seems in specific mission types enemies have very specific priorities. Eg in terror missions civilians are top priority and in avenger def. getting to the spot is.
-Yup I think the Codex(blessed be its name) appears after some story misson

bonescraper

Did anyone else think the graphics quality and style were really bad? The only good part of it were the very detailed characters.

The environments looked like some threw down some props without any thought to it. The colors often seem just bizarre, and the props themselves have this obvious "blocky" feeling to them.
What part of "procedurally generated" and "grid based" you didn't understand?

And have you ever heard about anisotropic filtering? Damn...

Mazisky

Magister
People still complains about graphics when this is one of the best looking games in the genre, and also it has really nice looking maps for being procedural.

ArchAngel

Arcane
- still have not met any Codex enemies. Do they appear only after some story parts are finished?
Weird, I got one on second month on Veteran. I did one Black Site before, though.
I have two main mission objectives at the moment:
- build that thingy in proving grounds
- build a shadowchamber (or how it is called)

So it seems in Xcom 2 you can also make the game easier by ignoring main mission? :D

Mazisky

Magister
Weird, I got one on second month on Veteran. I did one Black Site before, though.
I have two main mission objectives at the moment:
- build that thingy in proving grounds
- build a shadowchamber (or how it is called)

So it seems in Xcom 2 you can also make the game easier by ignoring main mission? :D

Not really, or at least, not at all.

I delayed story mission till the very late game (so i skipped codex ecounters for a lot) but the big enemies scales with ingame time anyway, so, even if you skip story mission you'll get Andromedons and Gatekeepers, Sectopods and Elite Advent.

Also, story missions give a huge decrease of Avatar doombar, so you can find yourself in a circumstance you're forced to do those.

Side note: Shadowchamber is useful despite of story, because it scans the enemy you'll find on a mission, it's really useful

ArchAngel

Arcane
My doombar is at last dot all the time. I wait until it fills up and then go do one Facility mission to stop it again. Which is a good strategy because last time there was an event that gave 2 dots to it but only 1 was free and then game ignored the second dot and just gave me a 12 day timer like usual.

Only problem with this is if a Terror mission appears in critical location and you lose it and lose the contacts there and don't have enough time/intel to get them back so you can reach another facility in time.

And I find terror missions harder in Xcom 2. Civilians die faster than in Xcom1 or you could say the penalty is worse for losing them. Before I would just keep satellites in reserve to put on regions that went full panic.

People still complains about graphics when this is one of the best looking games in the genre, and also it has really nice looking maps for being procedural.
i'm puzzled by the "procedural" part: i just did two installations in a row and the maps were perfectly the same.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i'm puzzled by the "procedural" part: i just did two installations in a row and the maps were perfectly the same.
They are not except maybe some story missions. Still even in them, enemy and item placement is randomized...Found that out in a bad way :(

ArchAngel

Arcane
Has anyone figured out how to tell apart actions that cost 1 or 2 actions (well except trying them and remembering it)?

Ivan

Arcane
Lost final mission on ironman. Upon retry all of my solderis have the same health and NO armor. On the first turn, only the Avatar can move, everything normal after that first turn. Might be a bug.

Orion

Cipher
Has anyone figured out how to tell apart actions that cost 1 or 2 actions (well except trying them and remembering it)?

There's a special icon in the action popup at the bottom:

fir3.jpg
The green >| icon right above "CRIT".

Ivan

Arcane
Holy Shit. So, without further ado, Final Mission Bugs upon retrying (Veteran Ironman)

-armor is completely stripped from entire squad
-only the Avatar can move on the first turn (very minor, fixed on 2nd turn)
-Deadshot dmg does not work :P
-Graphical Seizure 100%
040ED121AAAB41CBA55A796A7BB95F08F3ABAA62

5E1505CDC649744DDFADCA2A1790F89E0822D4A5

DE82158883529CFC0CF897EDD952638A3A93A9EB
i.e. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Stargazer_

Five days from launch and Steamspy estimates Owners: 563,403 ± 17,313
Not bad not bad at all, though obviously the game will sell greater numbers over its lifetime especially when factoring modability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom