Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Security has a purpose if you are playing without magic, which I'm doing on my next character to make the game extra hard
Damn that's just how I usually play.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's basically impossible to do without mods because you will naturally max out every attribute as you reach the level cap. I'm going to use a mod which restricts you to +1 attribute point on every level up, which means I have to actually make tough decisions about what attributes to max - can't max them all.

CHEMS

Scholar
Looks neat, pretty happy with the solution I already found though
I use this mod for balancing leveling. Makes you level slower (or faster), pretty customizable, even has support for custom new skills from the Skill Module. Add to this the expensive training mod, and you'll have a organic, hardcore run (which i'm doing right now)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's a little bit sad that some skills are not well balanced. Like Acrobatics for example - it's much less usefull skill than Alteration which along with MANY different spells have Jump effect. Also Security skill vs Alteration's "Open" spell. :(
With Security you can only open stuff, while alteration is amazingly a much better and versatile skill.
The purpose of Acrobatics is to help pump strength quickly and be a faster form of running.
Acrobatics is great.
Make a Fortify Acrobatics custom spell or enchant an item with this effect to JUMP as high as you can.
The Alteration Jump spell is better, but it costs slightly more.
I have a Jump enchantment on an amulet. Basically you put Jump 100 pts for 2 secs and another Jump 100 pts for 2 secs (as high as the amulet allows it) and then activate it to FLY all over Morrowind.
Extremely useful for getting around Vvardenfell.

CHEMS

Scholar
It's a little bit sad that some skills are not well balanced. Like Acrobatics for example - it's much less usefull skill than Alteration which along with MANY different spells have Jump effect. Also Security skill vs Alteration's "Open" spell. :(
With Security you can only open stuff, while alteration is amazingly a much better and versatile skill.
The purpose of Acrobatics is to help pump strength quickly and be a faster form of running.
Acrobatics is great.
Make a Fortify Acrobatics custom spell or enchant an item with this effect to JUMP as high as you can.
I have a Jump enchantment on an amulet. Basically you put Jump 100 pts for 2 secs and another Jump 100 pts for 2 secs (as high as the amulet allows it) and then activate it to FLY all over Morrowind.
images

[AIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE intensifies]

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Acrobatics is great.
images

[AIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE intensifies]
Honestly it kinda startled me the first time I heard it, followed by him falling to his own death.

Poseidon00

Arcane
my quest towards finding perfect larp continues. Ive realized that I quite enjoy unarmored. Which got me thinking, perhaps monk?

I enjoyed the monk more than any other playstyle.

By the time I got some acceptable enchantments and had hand-to-hand in the mid 200s, I was knocking down crowds of enemies with a flurry of swift punches, 2-3 per enemy, and finishing the fight at my leisure.

The god-like enemies were more of a challenge than with other playstyles, but that's even better imho

my quest towards finding perfect larp continues. Ive realized that I quite enjoy unarmored. Which got me thinking, perhaps monk?

I enjoyed the monk more than any other playstyle.

By the time I got some acceptable enchantments and had hand-to-hand in the mid 200s, I was knocking down crowds of enemies with a flurry of swift punches, 2-3 per enemy, and finishing the fight at my leisure.

The god-like enemies were more of a challenge than with other playstyles, but that's even better imho
I already plan on making a Khajiit monk due to multiple bonuses in various skills, such as hand to hand, athletics, acrobatics, and sneak. Having 50 Agility at the start, in tandem with the +10 from class bonus and +25 from choosing steed as your birthsign helps as well. Sure, you start with 30 Willpower, but the +10 shores that up somewhat at the start and nothing is stopping you from buffing it up down the line.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
are sneak attacks + unarmed somehow special? Afaik it should be 4x but Im downing enemies on single hit that normally take more than 4 strikes.

Also animals appear to have way more stamina than humanoids?

CHEMS

Scholar
I just looted the Vaults of Old Ebonheart and stole the most important document in all Tamriel (i shoved into a random crate because i despise the empire)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
what a disappointment. I finally went to marara, expected a proper kung fu fight since my mods buffed her. She didnt land a hit on me.
I can also destroy 3 dremora lords without any potions/resistances. At this point Ill probably just go punch some wolves and move on with my life, didnt even become a vampire yet

None

Scholar
This is the problem with Morrowind, it's way too easy to become insanely OP
But how to solve that?
Level scaling?
No one likes that shit.
Use proportional progression to slow down leveling. Quick to level skills like acrobatics and alchemy get their rate heavily reduced. I also make skills slower to level the higher they and the character are.
Dynamic difficulty gives a small difficultly bump every X levels to keep enemies from becoming completely harmless.
This is the setup I've used for years now and it works fairly well. Becoming OP is inevitable though, which just means it is time to roll a new character.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
But how to solve that?
Level scaling?
No one likes that shit.
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47897
+
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/54518
+
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48745

Enjoy your assrape
OJ's deleveler wont make that much of a difference, since morrowind is barely leveled at all

the second mod by Danae is bloated trash

third mod is okay, but before that you should install Mort rebalances (there are 3 of them)

if you want to talk about difficulty, you have to mention Mort's rebalances first imo.

Morrowind is in the same boat as Super Smash Brothers Melee and Mario Kart Wii in how broken it is and how fun it is to exploit the broken aspects of the game.

Funposter

Arcane
But how to solve that?
Level scaling?
No one likes that shit.
Various mods to buff enemies, don't ever metagame, Harder Barter to limit your gold supply, stop playing the game immediately at approx Level 15-20 depending on your build.

The thing is that you can't ever really fix the balance issues with Morrowind because they're baked into the mechanics of the game. Enemy spawns and gear aren't random, so you can always rush to good gear if you know where it is. Good gear isn't determined entirely by stats, but by the enchantments that they hold. Stacking Spell Absorb and Reflect isn't all that difficult (although much harder than Oblivion!) which means that spellcasters stop being an issue, and the only thing that can really stop a character is super high damage melee enemies, which aren't really present in the vanilla game. This is why the stats of all of the enemies in expansions are so bloated. The mechanics present in the original game mean that the only way to make it "harder" is to bloat everything to the point where enemies have a ridiculous amount of magic resistance or reflect themselves, massive regeneration like the Lich in Fort Firemoth, and melee damage in the realm of 50+ which should be able to kill even very high level players in a few hits before taking into account AR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom