Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Fargus

Arcane
This came out yesterday.
Mercy - Combat AI Overhaul

List of potential behaviors from the description

-- Hitting an npc might pull nearby friends if they are in a line of sight.
-- NPCs might be unwilling to engage, warn player not to come closer (probability based on disposition towards the player)
-- Can chase, fallback, strafe around in combat. Walk menacingly. Rare actors will jump around or run around the player full-speed.
-- Chain attacks together, max amount of attacks depends on a weapon skill
-- Make mistakes in picking best attack types (more mistakes at lower weapon skill)
-- Some might get angry when spammed with quick attacks and respond with a similar quick spam
-- At low hp (<33%) each damage even has a chance of making them scared, which in turn will result in an attempt to run away searching for a friendly npc, or in asking for mercy, giving up all the items they possess (except their clothing/armor) and leaving the combat state.
-- Probably other smaller things that I forgot about.

This got potential. Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully there will be mwse version too.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Given that OpenMW is open source, why can't someone mod in a melee combat overhaul that is at least serviceable? Like one that at least puts it on par with Skyrim?

You don't need always hit IMO

I like having some kind of to-hit calculation, makes the game feel like an actual RPG instead of an action adventure game

actor

Literate
If you build your character properly, you can start the game with over 50% hit rate and quickly raise it with some training. It's a non issue, fussed about by idiots

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The unique thing that Morrowind needs in combat is to have animations if the enemy armor bounces your blow, or you miss. To hit chances are great and prevent the game from becoming full of spongee enemies like oblivion at high level.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It has hit sounds. So if you don't hear the hit sound, you missed.
It doesn't distinguish between glancing blows, misses that are you character's fault, dodges that are the result of enemy skill, etc. Animations could help with this. More sound effects could help with this.

BrainMuncher

Educated
It has hit sounds. So if you don't hear the hit sound, you missed.
It doesn't distinguish between glancing blows, misses that are you character's fault, dodges that are the result of enemy skill, etc. Animations could help with this. More sound effects could help with this.
I don't remember any glancing blow or dodge mechanics. Every miss is your fault.

ind33d

Learned
If you build your character properly, you can start the game with over 50% hit rate and quickly raise it with some training. It's a non issue, fussed about by idiots
it is an issue but only because there are people who play morrowind without reading the manual and don't realize that the direction they swing their weapons is actually really important. in daggerfall every single person would do the up-swing for increased % to-hit, right? that's what I did IIRC

Dark Souls II

Educated
2. Install Tamriel Rebuilt.
I did that yesterday's afternoon and I completely lost the track of time, it was suddenly 4AM as my budding mage was enchanting his first semi-decent weapon. I almost forgot how amazing Morrowind is, been a while since I last played it. Incredible how nobody ever made anything similar, nothing hits the same spot. Can't wait to explore the new content in Tamriel Rebuilt, but first I've got to get myself a comfy Telvanni stronghold. Shout out to my n'wah Divayth Fyr by the way, the ultimate sigma.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did anyone here played with Hardcore mode? Look how is to fight the archamge in normal morrowind and in hardcore mode >

The archmage now summons powerful daedra, blinds you, has a lot of nasty powerful spells, moves around...

Other question. Anyone here have a good vampire mod? Just allow me to talk with NPCs. I don't need anything else, I tried to find a mod for it but all seems bugged.

None

Scholar
Other question. Anyone here have a good vampire mod? Just allow me to talk with NPCs. I don't need anything else, I tried to find a mod for it but all seems bugged.
Here's one. Haven't played it, but it looks fine. Let's you talk to NPCs if you drink blood or are wearing a closed helmet, among other things.

Yosharian

Arcane
Here's one. Haven't played it, but it looks fine. Let's you talk to NPCs if you drink blood or are wearing a closed helmet, among other things.
Wow that's really cool actually. Not being able to talk to anyone as a vampire really makes it unusable in MW.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Did anyone here played with Hardcore mode? Look how is to fight the archamge in normal morrowind and in hardcore mode >

The archmage now summons powerful daedra, blinds you, has a lot of nasty powerful spells, moves around...

Looks interesting. I don't have it in me to commit to another Morrowind playthrough right now, but I might give it a try at some point.

"Hardcore mode" is just a bunch of editor tweaks that anyone can do packaged as a mod. When I was really into Morrowind, I used some of its values as a reference while doing my own changes to equipment stats. Most of the other stuff is better left unchanged or done better by other mods.

I'd avoid big overhaul mods in general. It's better to install small mods where you agree with every change and learn to use the editor if you can(if you used other Bethesda editors before, it's a piece of cake).

None

Scholar
Wow that's really cool actually. Not being able to talk to anyone as a vampire really makes it unusable in MW.
It helps, but the whole vampirism feature seems as if it was an afterthought. Cool to have options, I guess, but it's in dire need of a complete overhaul.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I was following all the steps in his guide, though I didn't want to install all of the mods. I got a bug where there was this weird buzzing sound outside of the Census office in Seyda Neen.

Yosharian

Arcane
I was following all the steps in his guide, though I didn't want to install all of the mods. I got a bug where there was this weird buzzing sound outside of the Census office in Seyda Neen.
Well user error I guess, I installed it too and didn't get any bugs

One of the drawbacks of manual lists, you have to do every single fucking step with absolute precision or somewhere you'll fuck up and you'll have to restart the entire process

ind33d

Learned

actually mods to turn morrowind into a roguelike would be really interesting, i never used potions or other consumables on my playthroughs because the game is too easy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom