Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Caim

Arcane
how do i use the 100% magicka spell? i have a 0% chance of casting it
Other options are being a Breton or finding an item with resist magicka. Tel Fyr is a good place for that, but you're gonna need to open a tough lock.

Ivan

Arcane
so i finish the Vivec fetch quest and the game sends me on another fetch quest*#)!@*#!@)(
:0-13::x
is this all Morrowind is? the only cool thing I've found is spellmaking, which I cant dabble exploit in since I've built a fighter.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
so i finish the Vivec fetch quest and the game sends me on another fetch quest*#)!@*#!@)(
is this all Morrowind is? the only cool thing I've found is spellmaking, which I cant dabble exploit in since I've built a fighter.

This is what Morrowind is all about. 90% fetch quests, 10% quests that have some thought put into them. By comparison, and that I remember, Gothic is like 50% fetch quests, 50% quests that require you to do something else.

Ivan

Arcane
i liked the one with the play, reciting your lines. but aside from that it' SEEMS like an amazingly constructed world w/ little to do in it.

any help w the following: agreed to sell shirts, lost shirts, read a vendor in Mounrhold has the same 5 shirts I can "turn in" get them, travel all the way back, only to learn those aren't acceptable to be turned in.

i think this is my breakiing point. sorry guys. Loved Gothic but this is just busywork. Loot in caves seems to be just random crap.

Gonna try out the Oblivion mod Nehrim and see what's up. Maybe a more traditional XP system (or what Im used to anyway) will help out.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
i liked the one with the play, reciting your lines. but aside from that it' SEEMS like an amazingly constructed world w/ little to do in it.

How the fuck did you get that far anyway?

any help w the following: agreed to sell shirts, lost shirts, read a vendor in Mounrhold has the same 5 shirts I can "turn in" get them, travel all the way back, only to learn those aren't acceptable to be turned in.

Those special shirts, if you are talking about the same ones I think you are talking about (Argonian near Caldera and Ald'Ruhn) are unique shirts. So you had to deliver those as opposed to any.

Anyhow, I can't blame you. I play modded Morrowind, for balance purposes mostly, and to enhance the RPG aspects.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I play modded Morrowind, for balance purposes mostly, and to enhance the RPG aspects.
Enhance what? What mods are you using exactly?

BTB's Game Improvements nerfs almost every exploit you can think of. It makes your initial build matter much more because your Misc skills don't grow naturally (or better said, grow so, so, so slowly it's much better to pay for training). Service Requirements makes it so that certain NPCs refuse to give you services unless you belong to their faction or pay a surcharge. And lastly, Economy Adjusted changes the penalties for crime so that they are actually meaningful, and traders properly barter with you. I also use the Code Patch to make NPCs cast their racial powers, making fights much tougher.

Almost everything else in my mod list is either cosmetic, bug fixes, or a few gameplay edits.

Vanilla Morrowind just isn't fun to me because the lack of complete balance makes the game a joke. To some nostalgiafags Morrowind's lack of balance is awesome, to me it's just stupid.

Fargus

Arcane

Your frustration is so adorable :) But i say give it a chance. Create a battlemage, become a guildmaster, explore, beat main plot, collect rare artifacts, learn about the game lore, make some OP spells. This is really what Morrowind is about, well this and lots of mods. While Skyrim is a glorified rape sim.

Mournhold area where you apparently at right now got some nice side quests.

Ivan

Arcane
ya now as im playing Nehrim and I'm seeing the godawful inventory ui for oblivion, shudder, i'm itching to go back to Morrowind. it actually reminded me of Baldurs Gate 1. A nifty world with a shitty super lighthearted adventure tacked on. This is pretty neat, the intro to Nehrim. I may do 2 concurrent playthroughs. I learned a bit in Morrowind, mainly that I should invest in magic, esp to ease the pain of traversing the world.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I can't get into Oblivion. It's terrible. The UI is awful. The character models are awful. The game is piss easy and needs a serious rework through Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

Maybe I'll play it sometime. Maybe. But I'm closer to playing all Ultimas, all Wizardrys, and all Might & Magics, before I even boot up Oblivion.

Ivan

Arcane
wtf happened? oblivion looks so plasticky. morrowind looked a lot more gritty.

note im not playing Oblivion, but the Nehrim mod. good pace so far. liked the troll chase

wow. this is impressive stuff. better than Fallout 3's opening. it's much more directed and linear, i.e. hand crafted, while still giving you some options to solve problems. really liking the thought put into this.

4C1361145793D003B70F479751FC3C725AFE40BA

GOTHIC in the fucking house!

combat is still a floaty loose mess.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
fuck this. I'll just admit Elder Scrolls isn't for me. I gave Morrowind a shot b/c I saw it on the Codex top 70 list. I respect the grandeur of the environment but I dislike the progression system, the combat, and the fedex quest design. It looks gorgeous, the music is fantastic but after playing Gothic 1 and 2 I expected something much more. as for all the books I found and the dialogue system:

:didntreadlol:
Something that also turned me off is that there are way too many named NPCs that don't have anything to say to you. In the end it just became a matter of: if I don't see the word "duties" or anything other than a "hello" the npc can just fuck off.

I saw the horrible inventory they introduced with Oblivion. It seems they made it so anyone can use magic no matter what. But it looks atrocious and they neutered the dialogue system.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've taken so many pictures lately it's not even funny.

Alma_Moses_0079.jpg

Alma_Moses_0080.jpg

And I still got like 60 left to post, so I'll probably make an imgur album and link to it.

Tomorrow I'll finish uploading my mod setup to MediaFire and I'll link to it as well with instructions, in case if any of you guys is interested in running my setup.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Ivan

You are now in the land of the lost. Youve tasted the greatness of Gothic and now you cannot be sated by mere mortal rpgs anymore.

I suppose you already know and played Fallout New Vegas? Do you especially look for fps/tps games or will any recommendation of rpgs with great exploration do?

Ivan

Arcane
fuck. there's something that keeps pulling me back to Morrowind. the architecture, the music, the art. it's just the mechanics I don't see eye to eye with. I think the progression system is stupid (seeing "tips" of people letting themselves be hit by weak enemies for hours, keeping the w key pressed running against a wall to incrase athletics, jesus).

yeah, loved New Vegas. I fear I'm reaching the point where I've played all of the "greatest" rpgs. I was hoping Morrowind to be another Gothic 2/Fallout experience.

i think i'll give it one last try. this time I'm going to prioritize getting the boots of blinding speed. aside from the progression system, the starting speed/traversal is my biggest gripe.

Ivan

Arcane
Lucas9 how's your framerate? any changes to the movement speed? describe what you dislike, enjoy about your experience. maybe i could learn something from you to finally "get it"

Doktor Best

Arcane
The character progression is utter shit. I dont know who came up with the skill and leveling system, its indefinitely worse than any traditional experience system i have ever seen in a game. I dont know why they came up with it in the first place and i dont know why they stick to it.

Look at Underrail to see a game that does progression right without having an exp system. But hold on, right, its Bethesda. They make best gaems evarrrr because they sell so many of them.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Lucas9 how's your framerate? any changes to the movement speed? describe what you dislike, enjoy about your experience. maybe i could learn something from you to finally "get it"

Crap framerate. From 15 to 30fps outdoors, from 40 to 60 fps indoors. Shaders will do that to you, and the grass mod contributes as well.

What I like about my setup:

- Going against your build is now much more difficult. Misc skills don't grow, you have to pay for them, and training is more expensive. Moreover, factions will refuse to service you unless you belong to them. Additionally, factions will refuse to service you (if you belong to them) as long as you are of a lower rank than the person you are soliciting service from. You can pay them, though, to receive their services.
- You also level up more slowly, so the game remains more interesting since you don't get OP too quickly.
- No changes to movement speed, BUT you now get tired slower when running, so you don't have to stop every 5 seconds.
- You can actually hunt animals for a living now. Before, Mudcrab meat sold for 2 gold. Now it sells for 15.

I really enjoy looting placing to get more gold and help me out with repairs, potions and scrolls. I'm basically exploring the land now, but today I'll continue with the MQ as I've put it on hold for too long.

Coming to Morrowind after playing Gothic made it look more shit than I remembered (earlier this year, not like I have played Morrowind in 2002, which I didn't). After a while, though, I forgot about Gothic and thus I was able to enjoy Morrowind again. Kind of how Skyrim sort of looks bad, but after you have been playing Morrowind for two months, you return to Skyrim and it looks like the best looking game ever made.

Ivan

Arcane
do you get when I saw that this feels a bit like an MMO. I mean, the world is mostly there indifferent to you. you come in and all this lore and worldbuilding is there OUTSIDE of your presence. I mean, the world is pretty breathtaking but the quest design is just fedex requests. or is it just me? I do love exploring, but I've found that sometimes a random drop from a bandit is more rewarding that anything I find exploring a well designed cave.

also, based on your set-up I can see this isn't your first go around with Morrowind. What made you come back to it, if you don't mind? I mean, once one knows where the "awesome hand placed loot" is, what's there mechanically that brings you back?

Ivan

Arcane
The character progression is utter shit. I dont know who came up with the skill and leveling system, its indefinitely worse than any traditional experience system i have ever seen in a game. I dont know why they came up with it in the first place and i dont know why they stick to it.

I am by no means an RPG connoisseur but it seems to me that it encourages jack of all trade builds, allows players to remain "hooked" indefinitely, since, I'm guessing, you don't level any slower at lv1 than lv 20 (unlike Gothic/Souls series).

How were older Elder Scrolls titles different, with regard to the progression system, and what has changed w/ Oblivion and Skyrim (reduction to number of skills aside)?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
do you get when I saw that this feels a bit like an MMO. I mean, the world is mostly there indifferent to you. you come in and all this lore and worldbuilding is there OUTSIDE of your presence. I mean, the world is pretty breathtaking but the quest design is just fedex requests. or is it just me? I do love exploring, but I've found that sometimes a random drop from a bandit is more rewarding that anything I find exploring a well designed cave.

also, based on your set-up I can see this isn't your first go around with Morrowind. What made you come back to it, if you don't mind? I mean, once one knows where the "awesome hand placed loot" is, what's there mechanically that brings you back?

That's the beauty: I'm not one of those guys with over 3000 hours in Morrowind. I must have 200 total in all my combined playthroughs. And because there are so many things to do, I still haven't dug deep in the game.

So when I found a really awesome sword in the game, it was really a joy. Of course, once you know where the awesome hand placed loot is, you shouldn't try to actively seek it out. This is what I don't understand, a lot of people just loooove running straight towards the best equipment right from Seyda Neen, but that's against my style of play.

Mechanically nothing brings me back to Morrowind. It's just unfinished business: I really need to explore more of the game and play all the DLCs, and still I will have tons of faction quests I won't be able to do until I tackle the game again.

About the MMO part: I haven't played any MMOs because 1) Not American, and 2) South American. And the only MMO I played had nothing massive about it (300 users at most at any given time), and it was fairly shit.

But yes, I know what you mean. Morrowind truly feels like it is filled with pointless NPCs (since it is).

In The Witcher I get this because it makes the game feel much more alive. But in Morrowind, it doesn't. You just got another NPC that walks to one end of the town, turns around, and walks back to where he started. At least in The Witcher NPCs do a lot of things, like take cover during the rain or enter different buildings, or go to sleep.

Ivan

Arcane
I get you man. there's a real beauty to this. walked into a cave with a beautiful monument, some sort of altar.

question about combat: do some weapons have solely 1 "move," e.g. thrust, overhead? Moving the mouse doesn't change my attack animation whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom