Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
him: retarded skyrim baby

I guess it doesn't fit your narrative that I have thousands of hours in Morrowind and haven't played Sykrim since 2015, right? :)
Meanwhile, "prestigious" Codexers still eat up Bethesda's shitty games (Skyrim, Fallout 4, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about FO76 as well; The Outer Worlds fits in here too) only to "complain" about them. Well, I can't say I've put hundreds of hours into a game just to shit on it all the time.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I guess it doesn't fit your narrative that I have thousands of hours in Morrowind

Well, I can't say I've put hundreds of hours into a game just to shit on it all the time.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-morrowind-is-a-bad-rpg.127067/

:nocountryforshitposters:

"Just to shit on it all the time".

Making one post doesn't seem like I'm shitting on the game all the time. Meanwhile, you have Codexers who play Skyrim and won't stop talking about how awful it is.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Removing features instead of rebalancing them is the opposite of incline.

I wouldn't complain about a mod that makes potionmaking and spellmaking a lot less powerful than they are.

But to outright remove the features? That puts us on the path straight to Oblivion.

"You can't wear clothes and armor at the same time anymore because that was too exploitable with highly enchanted items"
"You can't make your own spells anymore because that was too exploitable with combining powerful effects"
etc etc

Removing a cool feature because you're either too lazy or too incompetent to properly fix it is worse than keeping it in the game in a broken state.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Removing features instead of rebalancing them is the opposite of incline.

Ideally, sure. But the systems as they have been implemented in Morrowind are completely broken. To rebalance them is the same as removing them because in the eyes of Morrowind apologists, anything that isn't broken is appealing to God Saywer™.

Removing a cool feature because you're either too lazy or too incompetent to properly fix it is worse than keeping it in the game in a broken state.

Notice how there are no mods that fix these features, though. There are only three possible conclusions:
  • People are fine with these broken features.
  • People are too lazy to fix these broken features.
  • It's not possible to fix these broken features.
So BTB took the necessary steps and removed them. If I'm not mistaken, the only feature BTB ACTUALLY removed was the ability to create your own enchantments. You can still pay someone else to create them for you. Vanilla Morrowind doesn't let you create your own spells and enchantments are infinitely more useful as he described, so I'd say he did a great job at balancing the game.

DraQ

Arcane
enlightened oblivion connoisseur
Dr3OjvvU0AAEqAs.jpg

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
What kind of homosexual fairy would wear a robe over a suit of armor, are you trying to look like a gay priest and die of dehydration

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You know what game lets you create your own spells?
Oblivion.
Checkmate, morrowtards.

But you can create your own spells, you drooling mentally ill cretin. Even if you wanted to do it w/o vendors, that's changeable by a 1kb mod. The horror!

Meanwhile you can *never* change Oblivion from being a generic, dumbed-down soulless piece of shit. :smug:

CootKeeper

Augur
Was there some mod to make NPCs less intrusive? I literally just stood still for 10 seconds and got approached by 3 NPCs spouting some variant of "spit it out" while I wasn't even looking at them.

there aren't any good ones really. i tried a couple mods that tweak GMSTs but they all have downfalls or are outright buggy.

your best option is to turn on the beta option in MCP called "actor collision fix", it reduces the mesh size of creatures. the main idea is to simplify actor collisions in tight corners (obviously) but decreasing mesh size also has the benefit to slightly reduce greeting radius, so you can sometimes pass by an NPC without being greeted. give it a go and see if it fixes it for you enough.

zool

Arcane
I'm getting ready for my first-ever playthrough of Tamriel Rebuilt once the upcoming Aanthirin release is made available.

IIRC, TR uses vanilla assets on top of its own assets, so should I install graphics mods? I'm thinking about something like the old Visual Pack which I used to install years ago.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Zariusz

Arbiter

So i finaly played Morrowind first time after years of playing Skyrim and Oblivion...
Morrowind is best 3D rpg (probably most of you would consider it only 3D RPG) from Bethesda. You can feel it just by opening menu and looking at it.

Oblivion is RMG. Random Meme Generator. No other words needed.

Skyrim is glorified modding platform. With biggest market on anime tiddies mods.

Funposter

Arcane

Since TR uses vanilla meshes, mesh replacement mods that change the overall shape of objects do not play well with it. Examples are some of Vurt's trees (they will be floating) and Apel's Seyda Neen Lighthouse replacer.

zool

Arcane

Funposter

Arcane

Since TR uses vanilla meshes, mesh replacement mods that change the overall shape of objects do not play well with it. Examples are some of Vurt's trees (they will be floating) and Apel's Seyda Neen Lighthouse replacer.

Thanks. Do you know if mesh replacements mods for smaller objects, such as Mesh Improvements or Better Meshes plus Optimization, also have issues with TR?

iirc, neither of these mods are recommended in the current year. Mesh Improvements is unoptimized, and Better Meshes+ introduces some errors due to missing textures. As Pherim suggests in the comments for the second mod, you should check out RR's Better Meshes, as well as some of the newer clutter improvements, etc. Morrowind modding has come a long way since 2010, and even in the last few years, there have been considerable improvements to the general practices of modders. So I'd say that it's not recommended to use older mods, unless specifically stated by those who are very knowledgeable about modding.

ironmask

Arbiter
Guess I will repost here since more people on this thread talk more about morrowind and mods.

A new update is about to be released. Some new land with 60 new quest.
unknown.jpg

2019ReleaseArea.png

This also comes with a new soundtrack that replaces the new one. The soundtrack is being made by two people who call themselves Rytelier and ASKII.

For people who want to spoil themselves, here are some preview videos that show off the scenery of the new land.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I came extremely late to the Elder Scrolls series so i'm just finishing up my first Morrowind playthrough. I only beat (heavily modded) Skyrim just this year. Still have to do the expansions and finish the main quest but i'm getting there. This is my character so far. No gameplay changing mods, just graphics ones.

Observations: a high hand to hand skill is extremely valuable, especially in the early game for fast speed pumping, but battles take longer than necessary. Supplemented with magic, however, it makes most things a breeze. With 200 HtH skill, it only takes a couple punches to drop anything to the ground in stun mode. Keeping multiple opponents immobile is very easy with this build.

Without having a high speed, Morrowind would have been a real slog. I can't imagine trying to play a low speed, heavy armor character. Hiking sim indeed. I never did find the Boots of Blinding Speed, and on principle I will look up nothing.

Getting merchants to have enough gold was an issue, so I invested heavily in scrolls for value storage with low carry weight. I ended up with a truly ridiculous amount of scrolls. Now I want to make a completely non magical character, taking advantage of scrolls to get by.

faa21197-80f2-45f0-936d-31692b75ad83-original.bmp

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom