Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your Fav SP Games that you've PLAYED in the Past 2 yrs

An attempt to get through the nostalgia barrier. Not a perfect attempt, I know, but it's the best I could come up with for now.

bhlaab

Erudite
Since 2008?

Fallout (twice)
Fallout 2
Vampire: Bloodlines
Planescape Torment
Serious Sam HD
Serious Sam 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Quake 1 / Ton of Quake 1 SP mappacks
Doom 1/2/ TOOOONN of wads
Wolfenstein 3D
Painkiller
Resident Evil 4
STALKER:Shadow of Chernobyl
Morrowind
Mother 3
Portal
Half Life 2 / Minerva: Metastasis / Research & Development
A bunch of old SNES/NES/Genesis games (I play emulators without sound while listening to podcasts, radio sghows, etc)
Some that I probably did but forget (Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex, etc)

People who talk about rose tinted glasses can go fuck themselves

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Mechwarrior II (DOS executable inside MS Virtual PC running Win98)

Crysis (stopped when annoying snow/alien shit started)

COD4:MW (passed - memorable)

COD4:MW2 (passed - retarded... F F F F F F F F F YOU WIN)

KOTOR (abandoned at Rancor pit after trying to sacrifice my team in order to get past it without resorting to obnoxious linear solution, only to succeed and be hit with "you cant proceed without your team" bullshit)

Prey (awesome for the first 2 hours, abandoned)

Quake 4 (solid shooter without retarded portal gimmicks, started asking for CD key after Windows upgrade, abandoned)

Fallout 3 (waste of $50, didn't get far before nausea induced by mediocrity kicked in)

Mass Effect 1 (still playing... 10mins a day.. for research purposes)

shihonage said:
Mechwarrior II (DOS executable inside MS Virtual PC running Win98)

Crysis (stopped when annoying snow/alien shit started)

COD4:MW (passed - memorable)

COD4:MW2 (passed - retarded... F F F F F F F F F YOU WIN)

KOTOR (abandoned at Rancor pit after trying to sacrifice my team in order to get past it without resorting to obnoxious linear solution, only to succeed and be hit with "you cant proceed without your team" bullshit)

Prey (awesome for the first 2 hours, abandoned)

Quake 4 (solid shooter without retarded portal gimmicks, started asking for CD key after Windows upgrade, abandoned)

Fallout 3 (waste of $50, didn't get far before nausea induced by mediocrity kicked in)

Mass Effect 1 (still playing... 10mins a day.. for research purposes)
I should try Quake 4. I thought of replaying Quake 2 recently, partly for nostalgia reasons, but abandoned the thought in ~2 seconds. (I never played it more than a little bit from the beginning anyway, although that was a long time ago. Whatever. There must be far better shooters around by now.)

bhlaab

Erudite
Quake 2 is one of the most poorly aged games ever. The single player campaign is godawful.

Which is ironic, because the people who talk about Fallout fans living with rose-tinted glasses will always end up defending that piece of shit

I second quake 4. It was exactly what you'd think it would be: A moderately good SP shooter.

Also, FEAR is pretty good.

Fallout is great. People who think old games can't be great don't even reach the level of manboon and therefore do not register with me as anything more than background noise not worth bothering about. These are usually twelve year old children, some of whom may eventually grow to become men.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Paula Tormeson IV said:
I should try Quake 4. I thought of replaying Quake 2 recently, partly for nostalgia reasons, but abandoned the thought in ~2 seconds. (I never played it more than a little bit from the beginning anyway, although that was a long time ago. Whatever. There must be far better shooters around by now.)

Yeah Quake4 still has solid graphics (almost as good as Prey), and it spices things up from time to time. Certainly it is linear but I don't expect anything else. And I loved the part where I am running on the planet surface outdoors and the giant ass ship is landing nearby. And then I go INSIDE IT, and there are mechs being tuned and shit. There's a lot of environment detail in that game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Just ask about the best games in the last 2 years you dense motherfucking Paula faggot. What's this shit about the fav sp moran nya thingies ? Every codexer that respects himself has had the best experience with games at least a decade old. You Zionist catboon.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
bhlaab said:
Which is ironic, because the people who talk about Fallout fans living with rose-tinted glasses will always end up defending that piece of shit

That's because Quake 2 was in fact good for what it was, unlike, say, Doom3, which suffered for trying to be Half Life on mars and failing miserably at that.

Of the games i've played recently, the two that stand out the most based on the topic of this thread are Elite (Archimedes version) and Stronghold. Up until very recently i never even heard of either game but somehow i found both to be extremely addicting. I got so hooked on the Elite for a while i even bothered to read the shitty mini-novel that comes with it. The writing was abysmal but i did like the fact you could get a few interesting hints just by reading it.

In short, the rose-tinted glasses theory is busted.

bhlaab

Erudite
Lyric Suite said:
That's because Quake 2 was in fact good for what it was, unlike, say, Doom3, which suffered for trying to be Half Life on mars and failing miserably at that.

No. No, it was bad for what it was. Daikatana may have been full of bad ideas, but at least it had ideas.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Quake 2 was great in co-op, and the only game after Doom 2 to retain the Doom spirit.

Like Doom3 (7 years later), at its time, it had groundbreaking graphics, and, like Doom 3, levels were "sameness", but unlike Doom 3, you could SEE SHIT, and it had these cool outdoor breather areas and much better enemy designs.

A cyborg with unfolding chaingun arm is badass. Borg shield dudes were cool. The walking tank bosses with rocket launchers and machineguns were like Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon merged together.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Q2 CTF was all kinds of awesome in the mid 90's.

Anyway I played a lot of GalCiv II and its expansions in the last couple of years. Good stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom