Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

your favorite game review sites?

tunguska

Liturgist
What are your favorite game review sites, not just for rpgs, but for all genres? I read eurogamer, gamebanshee, and sometimes gamerdad although it seems gamerdad is actually focusing more on kiddie and console games than he used to and he doesn't really review many games these days. I'm sufficiently desperate at the moment that I read through gamespot looking for games to download. The problem with my preferred review sites is that they do not review every game that comes out in every genre. I want to see at least a quick review of every game release. I hate only hearing about an interesting game years later when it's hard to get.

Tycn

Savant
Used to read gamebanshee but usually kodex konsensus is more than sufficient. Eurogamer gave Oblivion a 10 which pretty much invalidates their opinion.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I read gamesradar but mostly for the laughs. If I really want a review I go for players reviews and pay attention to the haters.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
RPG Codex, to be honest. That's why you always see me making new threads about games I'm checking out.

In terms of the mainstream sites, I find Gamespot reviews to be better than IGN.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I read the Codex, and rockpapershotgun. Sometimes Gamebanshee as well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
GameFAQs user reviews contain some of the most informative and entertaining reviews you can get.

catfood

AGAIN
Whenever I want to know someone's opinion on a game I send skyway a PM and ask if it is worth playing or not. I haven't played a game in 20 years. :(

ChristofferC

Magister
I don't read "professional" reviews anymore. Used to read swedish PC Gamer some 8 years ago. Mobygames is pretty good.

kris

Arcane
catfood said:
Whenever I want to know someone's opinion on a game I send skyway a PM and ask if it is worth playing or not. I haven't played a game in 20 years. :(

More like 5 I reckon. ;)

I hardly check any reviews at all. I check out the games myself and build a opinion whether they are worth buying. In some very few cases I preorder, like Starcraft 2 and some paradox games.

Joghurt

Augur
I visit only RPS. Pretty much the only place I visit to get gaming related news.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RPGCodex and RPGWatch only, i don't trust sites like gamebanshee or IGN because they're advertising mainstream games instead of reviewing them.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I visit some gaming sites but I haven't read a review in a long time - they're quite useless anyway.

Black

Arcane
The one where I download torrents from.
Codex can no longer be trusted, with DA being best rpg since Arcanum, mass popamole 2 being good for what it is and so on.

Micmu

Magister
Some smaller, independent ones. Like kkkodex, once.
This mainstream shit you're talking about - they're all just pointless advertising sites.
I cringe every time some goofball newsposter links to an IG N article.

deuxhero

Arcane
GameFAQs user reviews, mostly the negative ones (If what they found wrong with it is a constant issue in the reviews and is something that would bother me, I don't get the game.). It's very easy to tell the stupid ones ("I can be a jediz! best game evers!") from the good ones ("Party members are bland, combat sucks, odd movie line spoof is charming but not enough to make the game much better").

Let's plays also help see if the game looks intresting.

Lately though I've mostly been playing older titles I can get for 20 or under with decent recomendations. If it sucks I didn't lose that much money, if I rocks I got something well worth my money.

Dragula

Augur
Konjad said:
RPGCodex and RPGWatch only, i don't trust sites like gamebanshee or IGN because they're advertising mainstream games instead of reviewing them.
Heh, RPGCodex is like the emo of gaming. "I'm so different, fuck mainstream media!!!!!!!".

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Xor said:
Amazon.com user reviews.
amazonreview.png

DraQ

Arcane
Black said:
The one where I download torrents from.
Codex can no longer be trusted, with DA being best rpg since Arcanum, mass popamole 2 being good for what it is and so on.
You need to learn about finer points of applying potato filter to the hivemind's excretions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom