Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite underutilized settings in games?

Dodo1610

Arcane
-German history aside from 1942-45
-Golden Age of the islamic world or its fantasy equivalent 1001 nights

Cold war is hardly a rare setting but there is so much potential with spies, military interventions, space race, red scare and some off the catchiest music ever made.
Plus we need more games with weird experimental guns like the G11

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ith_bayonet.jpg/300px-HK_G11_with_bayonet.jpg

Last edited:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Bronze age Mesopotamia. Or even early iron age Mesopotamia, for the Original Evil Empire.

MuffinBun

Educated
And I don't mean they're "intelligent" in the same way as the Protoss. They're intelligent, but so different to you that there's no way you'll ever be able to communicate a message more complex than "eat lead".
Oh gosh, I wish this meme of intelligence=frendliness would finally go away. You'd think that the complete defeat of wholesome utilitarian(as in Mill-derived) values would take that trope with it, but so far it has not happened. The aliens may be intelligent, easy to communicate with, and also completely malicious towards outsiders. There's no contradiction here. Being smart allows you to percieve the multitude of options; it does not make you pick the peaceful one. People who claim that peaceful is always the most beneficial are cowards, because that just delays the question by one step.

Im not claiming that this is necessarily not the case(that intelligent=cooperative). Its that it is yet to be intelligently argued for. I would not mind if some piece od media elaborated on that in a clever manner.

Modern, mainstream, original sci-fi is what? Hunger Games? I suppose we can thank that for battle royale genre
Good observation, perhaps unintended, that the modern idea of sci-fi(as in: believable future) is simply dystopia.

We have a fair selection of train simulators and train tycoon games to choose from. But setting any other kind of game on a train tends to run into a problem: Literal railroading of your entire campaign. It doesn't get more on rails than literaly being on a train.
Noo, thats not the case. Like you can have a train based setting, in which it is the main mode of transportation, and the world is structured around that. It can have multiple locations to explore, its just that they're all accessed by train. An you get to customize your train or whatever. In fact I have an rpg concept like that in my backlog; but thats faar from being playable.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Noo, thats not the case. Like you can have a train based setting, in which it is the main mode of transportation, and the world is structured around that. It can have multiple locations to explore, its just that they're all accessed by train. An you get to customize your train or whatever. In fact I have an rpg concept like that in my backlog; but thats faar from being playable.

So, something a bit like Transarctica / Arctic Barons, but less strategy and more RPG?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
And I don't mean they're "intelligent" in the same way as the Protoss. They're intelligent, but so different to you that there's no way you'll ever be able to communicate a message more complex than "eat lead".
Oh gosh, I wish this meme of intelligence=frendliness would finally go away. You'd think that the complete defeat of wholesome utilitarian(as in Mill-derived) values would take that trope with it, but so far it has not happened. The aliens may be intelligent, easy to communicate with, and also completely malicious towards outsiders. There's no contradiction here. Being smart allows you to percieve the multitude of options; it does not make you pick the peaceful one. People who claim that peaceful is always the most beneficial are cowards, because that just delays the question by one step.

Im not claiming that this is necessarily not the case(that intelligent=cooperative). Its that it is yet to be intelligently argued for. I would not mind if some piece od media elaborated on that in a clever manner.
I'm not arguing we can't have an intelligent but malicious alien force that you can communicate with, I'm arguing that the notion you can't makes them interesting. It makes them alien. It means both of you have to learn and apart while fighting, and you have no idea where to start. They did it in War of the Worlds too (martians not knowing we use battleships). It's just that us and the ayys being on a more equal power level makes for better vidya.

MuffinBun

Educated

So, something a bit like Transarctica / Arctic Barons, but less strategy and more RPG?
Yeah. I have to admit: I had to look it up. Seems like its full of soul. The music and visual style are very much to my liking. I'm glad you mentioned that, I'll probably play it for a while just to get the feel. Dont expect it to be balanced or well rounded or anything.

But yeah, definitely less strategy. Transarctica looks like its mostly about travel and train management. But here the train would primarily be a way to move between points of interest and to transport cargo as a side-job. There'd be lots of cool adjacent details, like having to outfit your train for particular terrain(have to take banditry and temperature into account); characters commenting and slightly changing their attitudes depending on whether you arrived in a properly outfited train. Its kind of a mobile base/home. It makes traversal meaningful.

MuffinBun

Educated

I'm not arguing we can't have an intelligent but malicious alien force that you can communicate with, I'm arguing that the notion you can't makes them interesting. It makes them alien. It means both of you have to learn and apart while fighting, and you have no idea where to start. They did it in War of the Worlds too (martians not knowing we use battleships). It's just that us and the ayys being on a more equal power level makes for better vidya.
Yeah sure, I'm not implying that you are. Its just something that's common to the genre, star trek being the worst offender, that sort of was in vein of what you mentioned. And its a very good idea; some interesting sci fi was already made around the challenge of breaking the communication barrier with ayys.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Deserts are fine, no more boring than any other climate. Peoples perception of them being boring comes from terminally uncreative devs who keep doing nothing with them. Shifting dunes, sandstorms, droughts, ruins of lost civilizations, mirages, caravans. All the shit that deserts are known for are rarely if ever in games.
Hard to top Ashgabat as a desert city setting in terms of sheer spectacle with all the white marble buildings and monuments.

On a related note, another underutilized setting is the Macau SAR, a Chinese las vegas with Portuguese colonial influence.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As a general aside, having one or two games, even if they're current doesn't mean a setting isn't underutilized, especially if the games are shit. Good examples of settings that are NOT underutilized are like WW2 and Star Wars.

I have a few settings I'd like to see more of...

• Modern era (including back to the Cold War era) espionage. We need more Alpha Protocol or a refinement of Phantom Doctrine, dammit. This desire actually made me pick up CoD: Cold War. :negative:
  • Similar to the above, except more into the weird conspiracy theory stuff like aliens, the occult, etc. The TTRPG Conspiracy X hit these notes and Deus Ex touches on them in various ways. n.b. Not Cthulhu. This stuff doesn't have to be Cthulhu ffs.
  • Egypt, whether about their historical society or about pillaging the pyramids later on like in the 1800s.
  • Steampunk Industrial Revolution fantasy like Arcanum.
  • A Cyberpunk or Shadowrun game, except good. :P

Ăśstad

Arcane
The Elder Scrolls universe. So much potential, so underutilised.
Based

Someone mentioned historical settings of this world. I hate them all and find them uninspiring. From ancient Greece, "Arabian Nights" (this one is the worst to me), to Aztecs, they can all rot in the Hell of Oblivion.
Cringe

I wish there would be ancient colonial settings. Like ancient Greek colony in Marseille or Phonecian colonies in Iberia or possibly both. Nice barbarian-civilized clash and one of the truly underused settings.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Modern wars that aren't frequently covered. I'm talking stuff that isn't WWII, various terrorist incidents, and a theoretical WWIII with Russia. I'd just like more of stuff like Vietnam, Korea, all those conflicts in Africa, theoretical conflict with China, Algeria, Vietnam vs China, basically anything that hasn't been done to death. And Arthurian Myth or maybe even just Welsh mythology in general, as both despite having been vaguely used in a lot of stuff haven't ever been properly done.
Ancient Greek and Roman settings are obscenely underutilised, probably those are my favourites. I'm one of those people who think HBO's Rome series is the best thing ever. And like Wunderbar said, various national folklores would also make for very interesting settings.
I was going to go for that, drat. It seems like the only titles that ever deal with those places are strategy games. Which are nice, but some variety would be nice once in a while. The rest of the classical world too, though we at least have a lot of stuff that's themed Egyptian in some way.
For RPGs, Hell. There's only Disgaea what I can think of which has you actually living in the "underworld".

It'd be nice to have a wonder round the fiery realm, have a cup of tea with Satan, a chat with some of the Demons, learn a few bard skills from Jim Morrison and Lemmy, and romance/torture a few demonesses along the way etc.

It's been used a fair bit in action games, but as far as actually roleplaying in Hell I can't think of many RPGs which go there?
There's also that Wasteland related game, Escape From Hell. NWN's expansion Hordes of Underdark counts if you count fantasy hells.
Modern-day Russia. Games only ever acknowledge the soviet union, or imperial russia if it's a 4x or economic sim. Modern russia would be perfect for a GTA-style game.
Aren't there ones like that? I only know of the game based off Brat 2, but I could have sworn there were multiple (admittedly crap) ones made in Russia.
That's true, we barely see chingchong theatres in games. Would be nice to see the British play in foreign territory and win (since for the first half of the 20th century, that was what they did), and by contrast, old enemies like china and japan squaring off in ways they did for centuries.
Would like to see late 19th-early 20th century combat as well. Ruso-japanese or first sino-japanese war. I find it to be an interesting time in history, as it had neither the nihilism of post-ww1 nor the familiarity of the olden days.
I'm sure the reasoning for this is that the PRC government throws a hissy fit if you imply their government wasn't ever the only government in China, and Japan likes to pretend that nothing between the 1870s or so and 1950 ever happened. The only media I can think of that tackles the first was the second Lady Snowblood film. You'd think more people would be interested in the first time a non-European power kicked the crap out of a European one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Italo-Ethiopian_War

Probably not the absolute first one in a modern context but it's an earlier one.
Yes. Ethiopia is very underrated in media for history autists. It's the closest thing to Wakanda that ever existed irl, the only black civilization halfway worth talking about. Robert E. Howard knew it. His Conan shorts with that Aksumite mage as the villain are some of my favourites.
Would like to see the kingdom of Aksum, but your suggestion is good too, because it was the Europe of Africa fighting the Africa of Europe.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
A fantasy that is actually fantastical.
We don't get these often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom