Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What hurt me the most are the omnipresent rounded edges. Why. Why would you do this to us, DU? Around the post, around reactions, around profiles, around profile stats, around profile pictures, around menus, around numbers. There are rounded edges fucking everywhere. God, I love rectangles so much.

Round edges so that inmates codexers don't hurt themselves

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The current one is fine.

XF1 is end of life. So no it isn't fine.

Generally not a good idea to run end of life webapps that don't get security updates, especially with all the butthurt individuals we have out for blood.

yup, someone getting his hand on all user email addresses is probably not something most of us would like, even if its burner accounts
This coming from the same guy that claimed that getting doxxed on the Dex is just playing an RPG.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The current one is fine.

Generally not a good idea to run end of life webapps that don't get security updates, especially with all the butthurt individuals we have out for blood.

yup, someone getting his hand on all user email addresses is probably not something most of us would like, even if its burner accounts
This coming from the same guy that claimed that getting doxxed on the Dex is just playing an RPG.
What gave you the idea that anyone here enjoys playing RPGs?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still can't wrap my head around how bad the new look is. The only thing that gives me strength is the hope that everything might be in such a "pre-pre-pre-alpha" state that the final result won't remind this mess in any way, shape, or form.

What gets me is how soulless it is. It's like when I'm searching for some tech issue, and stumbled into an unknown forum and can't wait to get out of there because of how unpleasant it is to read.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

rating_citation.png

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It looks like the BioWare forums from a decade ago. What is this retarded design :negative:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

rating_citation.png
I'm certain Infinitron had no intention of "doxxing" anyone.

How am I supposed to interpret this here then? Is Infinitron just being a swell and friendly guy and reminding us that he has access to this kind of information?

Depends, are you on a forum where you talk only about harmless games or not

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

rating_citation.png
I'm certain Infinitron had no intention of "doxxing" anyone.

How am I supposed to interpret this here then? Is Infinitron just being a swell and friendly guy and reminding us that he has access to this kind of information?

Depends, are you on a forum where you talk only about harmless games or not

So basically you misinterpret what I'm saying, just as expected

Unwanted

†††

Patron
The new site really is terrible, both on mobile and PC. There's so much wrong about it that it's better just to scrap it. The current one is fine.

Ok, so the users don't like the new design. But have you thought about how many intersectional BIPOC can we attract with the new design? have you asked them, huh? I thought so.

Terra

Cipher
Don't mind the new design overall, personally, works fine on desktop and mobile/tablet and I don't have to use some ridiculous zoom level to easily read text. Not a fan of the top navbar following you down the page (nor its font) but for tablet viewing it's substantially easier to read/navigate.

The cutting off of the Excited! button however borders on criminal and needs fixing as a matter of urgency.

shywn

Savant

Despite the popular belief, a lack of maintenance does not mean that a piece of software will be less secure. The security bugs don't just pop up out of nowhere -- they were there all along.

Furthermore, a new major version does not mean that it will be more secure either. Major versions come with new features, new features tend to mean more code, more code means more potential security bugs.

Paradoxically, the most secure version of software often is an end-of-life version that has had its batch of security updates done already. (That said, manually backporting any relevant security updates is still a good idea.)

Absinthe

Arcane
Furthermore, a new major version does not mean that it will be more secure either. Major versions come with new features, new features tend to mean more code, more code means more potential security bugs.
Correct. It's kind of like software that boasts new optimization and performance improvements with every major patch and yet the damn thing keeps getting slower and more bloated. Sometimes the new problems outweigh the old problems that got fixed.

Paradoxically, the most secure version of software often is an end-of-life version that has had its batch of security updates done already. (That said, manually backporting any relevant security updates is still a good idea.)
Also correct, but then we need someone to continually backport all the new security updates and stay on top of any new security holes that are found for XenForo1 that are not applicable to XenForo2 and manually devise patches for those. It's doable though.

J1M

Arcane
Would prefer no color changes or font changes.

Honestly, if some of the post rating icons were culled hidden with a collapsible control I think the current site would be perfect as is.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Despite the popular belief, a lack of maintenance does not mean that a piece of software will be less secure. The security bugs don't just pop up out of nowhere -- they were there all along.

With all the exploits that keep being found with various libraries used on webapps the world over (some of the exploits existing for 20+ years), I disagree.

There is a very good reason practically every cyber security certification process requires a maximum of 14 day lag on patching.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Can you guys limit the left side where the avatars are? It's about twice as big than here. There is a lot of empty space on the left and right of the avatars and when you zoom in to read the text it gets obnoxiously bigger.

Also there's no reason for the menu or title bar to follow you when you scroll down.

Skdursh

Savant
My final and definitive opinion on the subject is that the test site looks like moldy rotted garbage on a hot Summer day at 100% humidity that's been dipped in an above-ground pool filled with baby shit, then taken out, rolled in AIDS spooge and spit on by a group of homeless crackheads with severe gingivitis.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
So that you guys know, a group of us most prestigious codexers, like me, Kruno, Blobert, Bradylama's alt and so on, have been using the new layout for a little over a month and you eventually get used to it and it's not bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom