Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 9 games [(-2023 EDITION-)]

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Turrican
Monkey Island
Formula One Grand Prix (Crammond's one on the Amiga)
Hired Guns
Deus Ex
Unreal / Unreal Tournament
Kerbal Space Program
Morrowind (probably Daggerfall if I had played it before Morrowind, but alas I only owned an Amiga when Daggerfall came out)
Legends of Valour (I guess it's mostly nostalgia effect though)

if 10 I'd add Freespace

Man, I'm old.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
It makes more sense to rank them within genres than it is to mix all the apples and oranges.

rpgsh5fkc.png
actiontichd.png
shooterspzif8.png
thirdpersonxxd2u.png
stealthwee0g.png

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It makes more sense to rank them within genres than it is to mix all the apples and oranges.

rpgsh5fkc.png
actiontichd.png
shooterspzif8.png
thirdpersonxxd2u.png
stealthwee0g.png

Quality post. Well done. Great choices too. Any recommendations from the current Steam Stealth Fest?

Blutwurstritter

Learned
In no particular order

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance | Sacrifice | F.E.A.R. |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Dawn of War | Starcraft + Broodwar | Thief 1&2 |
| Deus Ex | Baldurs Gate 1&2 | HoMM3 |

Silverfish

Arbiter
Symphony of the Night
Vectorman
Shadow Hearts
Soul Reaver
Saints Row 2
Dark Souls
WWF No Mercy
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Trials Fusion

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Sometimes choice between apple and orange has to be made.
Sorry, I don't believe in racemixing genre mixing, you might as well throw films and books into the pile if you're going to cross streams that hard. What I can do is to give you a 3x3 grid of games I and one other person (that might be reading this) has played that were good. Every day I dread finding out a cancerous youtube personality with millions of followers has started shilling one of these. The attention Fear & Hunger 2 got online was almost enough to turn me off the game, only failing to do so because it is just that good.

obscure2dfrx.png

Quality post. Well done. Great choices too. Any recommendations from the current Steam Stealth Fest?
Other than the obvious and well-known ones?

Mark of the Ninja got some good buzz when it was released but I don't see people talking about it much anymore. For what it is, being a 2D stealth platformer, it's about as good as that gets.

Filcher is an indie minimalist version of Thief but in a more modern setting, there are some big flaws such as light switches not always being present, something you could handwave away in Thief, a lack of tools for verticality such as rope arrows, and the game won't let you save mid-mission like the first Hitman game. The characters are also 2D sprites which doesn't mesh well with trying to predict where they are about to go or look. If you're tired of playing Thief fan missions it's an alright ride however, since it's one of few games that gives a real shot at trying to copy the best parts of Thief with a focus on light and shadows as well as sound, unpolluted by other genres interfering with the core.

Death to Spies is Hitman's lesser cousin, it's worth playing once, especially since you can't get Hitman maps as you can Thief levels.

Most of the games for sale only feature occasional stealth elements in service of something else than games focused on stealth as gameplay, looking at the list of games being discounted most of them aren't even on the same level as now forgotten stealth games like Stolen from 2005. If you have already gone through the big series in the genre, Splinter Cell, Thief, Hitman, MGS, arguably Dishonored but I'm not sure I would include it, then you're better off getting an emulator than digging through steam sales, something like the Tenchu series or Shinobido if you haven't played those.

Gostak

Educated
UT2k4
UT99
SS13
Cataclysm:DDA
OFP:Resistance
CKII
F-Zero X
Doom II
Cortex Command (Community Project)

Elthosian

Arcane
Mark of the Ninja got some good buzz when it was released but I don't see people talking about it much anymore. For what it is, being a 2D stealth platformer, it's about as good as that gets.

Also consider Invisible Inc., from the same company, it is one of the few games to do turn-based stealth right. Plus if you're into physical games you can get a cheap boxed copy pretty easily with a lot of goodies.

Hagashager

Educated
Very very difficult to do as I mostly mostly now play about 3 games in rotation with two more serving as gaming with friends.

The following list is more, "Games that had a strong impact on me growing up" rather than absolute favorites. There is no order, the number is arbitrary. Morrowind and IWD are the only games I still currently play.

1. Ocarina of Time

2. TES III: Morrowind

3. Icewind Dale

4. Half Life

5. Yoshi's Island

6. True Crime: Streets of LA

7. Jak II

8. Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

9. Deus Ex

Modron

Arcane
Codexers combined can't name 9 games released in 2023
Yeah I've only played 7 2023 releases so far: Like a Dragon Ishin, Repella Fella, Jagged Alliance 3, Dreams in the Witch House, Dead Monarchy, Space Wreck (you could argue this one was a 22 release), and Caves of Lore. Will play Colony Ship, Fading Afternoon, Like a Dragon Gaiden for sure and I should probably get Gobliiins5 someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom