Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 9 games [(-2023 EDITION-)]

Dr1f7

Scholar
Lots of yall talking tough shit, so it's time to PUT UP or SHOVE UP. U think your so good gamer? Post ur top games, so we know what were dealing with ;). its time for the OFFICIAL ill go first

1.png

Ezekiel

Arcane
I dunno. Why would I try to figure that out? Asking a lot, since I hardly LOVE anything I consume and even products I've gone back to again and again have serious flaws that can't be overlooked. Isn't it enough to just enjoy?

Dr1f7

Scholar
Participating just because I find the 3x3 grids really attractive.

2HZ97n2.png
that's a good one made me think i should have put quake on mine
ftl is great

idk what any of these games are bottom middle is hl2 tho i think
middle right is some metal gear?
oh i guess elden ring middle left
top left is skyrim??
did u ai generate your grid xD

Elthosian

Arcane
ceg6Afi.png

In rough order of preference although I could switch the ones in the bottom row around after some deliberation. Berwick Saga might replace any of them if it continues to deliver.

Almost sure fucking Rain World will get to the top by the time I finish it. This has been me the last couple weeks:

R4f0do1.gif

Incline had never before been delivered in such a pure, concentrated package of glory :incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

Edit: since other people have gone past number 9, here are some gems that deserve mention, in no particular order:

- Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu
- Half Life
- Tactics Ogre: LUCT
- Hollow Knight
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Arcanum
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Solid
- Portal 2
- Thief II
- Age of Empires II
- Dark Souls
- Final Fantasy IX
- Furi
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- SMT: Strange Journey
- Homeworld
- Starcraft + Brood War
- NieR
- Perfect Dark
- Primordia
- Underale
- Okami
- Fallout
- Kentucky Route Zero
- Halo 3 (sorry bros, the decline is real but I cherish those memories from the games I could play in co-op with my lil' bro when we were younger)

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I prefer videos anyway.

1) EverQuest (only in the good ole days)
2) Midwinter
3) Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
4) Stunt Island
5) Slipstream 5000
6) Panza Kickboxing
7) Hidden & Dangerous
8. Quake (Team Fortress)
9. Moonstone

Only 9 is sads :(

Eye of the Beholder 2 was one of my first RPGs and the one that hooked me on the whole idea, but it didn't even make the list.
Magic The Gathering was an awesome game in the early days too, but screwed itself in the name of $$$.
Nox nearly made the list and might do on a different day. Same with various Tribes games and Unreal Tournament 2k4.
An old PC game called Castles, awesome.
Also a very old PC game called Alley Cat. If you understand how primitive gaming was at that time, the fact one dude thought all that up and made it, and fun to play too... it's amazing.
I didn't play consoles much but Mario Kart with friends was a peak gaming experience. Same goes for Bomberman.

I haven't played an Adventure Game since I was a kid but I loved some of them back then. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was especially good (better than any of the later shitty movies). Sam & Max Hit the Road. Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, etc.. Some of this stuff develops a kids mind as well as being entertaining. I pity the fool who grows up without decent games. I think Arma 2 CTI was the best multiplayer FPS experience I've ever had. But I listed Hidden & Dangerous instead because it's better overall. The original Dune could have replaced Tiberian Sun. I love both. System Shock and Duke 3D really should be in there somewhere but 9 is harsh. I tried to go based on games that I think should be important today, if only to study for making better games in the future.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In no particular order:

- XCOM: UFO Defense
- Fallout
- Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
- M1 Tank Platoon (MicroProse)
- The Temple of Elemental Evil
- F1 Stealth Fighter (MicroProse)
- Combat Flight Simulator (Microsoft, 1998)
- Autoduel (Origin Systems, 1985)
- Daggerfall

DemonKing

Arcane
Wizardy: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Icewind Dale
Half Life
Company of Heroes
FEAR
Rome: Total War
Thief the Dark Project
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Legend of Grimrock

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Der Langrisser
Zelda: A link between worlds
Planescape: Torment
Shogun 2: Total war
Terranigma
System shock 2
Deus Ex
Kotor 2
Myth

harsh to break it down to nine and I am not entirely sure if I remember all in my aging brain. No particular Order

Last edited:

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Untitled-design.png

It's difficult to pick a Top 9 without setting any specifics. The above is a list grid of 9 games I didn't expect to have so much fun with, but actually ended up enjoying quite a lot. For the most part I tried to stay away from games that were part of the culture for my generation when making this.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Warcraft 3
Serious sam
Command and conquer: generals
The Talos Principle
Arcanum
Supreme Commander
Sly Cooper 3
TXK
Crackdown

Too lazy to make a visual grid. I don't consider this list full until I play GTA 4 and some HoMM.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Just nine games is way too harsh.

Zj8OFdf.png

Obviously, space opera is my thing.

EDIT: I could have swapped in stuff like X-Com: UFO Defence, Resident Evil 1 HD, Metroid: Zero Mission, Ninja Gaiden: Black, The Legend of Grimrock 1, Legend of Grimrock 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Star Trek: The Next Generarion - A Final Unity, Star Trek: Generations, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords, Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight, Stellaris, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3 (I know...), Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom