Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Demo Hotfix is up:

Dear players,
Sorry for the issues some of you may have encountered with the game base resolution.
I patched it in so that the resolution should not exceed the screen resolution.
I added a new "previous" branch so that you can revert to it in case the previous build worked better for you (the camera centering during enemy turn is capricious, but in a different way).

I also made a few minor changes:

Fixes: - Ophiuchus acid strike has been fixed
- Additions: Next and Previous character buttons in the UI, shortcuts are n or TAB for next, and b or p for previous.
- Libra now has a heal spell
- Aquarius now can cast fireballs

Sacibengala

Prophet
Demo Hotfix is up:

Dear players,
Sorry for the issues some of you may have encountered with the game base resolution.
I added a new "previous" branch so that you can revert to it in case the previous build worked better for you (the camera centering during enemy turn is capricious, but in a different way).

- Additions: Next and Previous character buttons in the UI, shortcuts are n or TAB for next, and b or p for previous.
Just checked it out. Problem persists, BUT...I decided then to launch it with steam closed. Problem gone, the mouse works as intended. Maybe it is steam overlay? I don't know.

One more thing, the game still stop responding on exit. and stop responding to enter the dungeon, but in the dungeon it starts responding after a while. The game ins running on SSD, by the way.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Demo Hotfix is up:

Dear players,

Just checked it out. Problem persists, BUT...I decided then to launch it with steam closed. Problem gone, the mouse works as intended. Maybe it is steam overlay? I don't know.

One more thing, the game still stop responding on exit. and stop responding to enter the dungeon, but in the dungeon it starts responding after a while. The game ins running on SSD, by the way.

The Steam issue is really weird. That said, I seldom play it from the Steam launcher.
I will check it out on Monday. I don't know whether I have any control over the Steam overlay.
I get a crash message on exit too on Windows 7, but it exits in a more "regular way" on Windows 10 fir me.
I need to add a loading screen when entering the dungeon. The game loads a lot of assets at this time.

Alpharius

Scholar
Mouse worked fine for me on win7 steam version combat demo. The ui and combat systems seemed pretty intuitive, didn't read the tutorial and finished that "okrs in a cathedral" mission without losses.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The camera moves are still weird during AI turn, so I will address that next. I streamed a WiP outdoor map today, but there were a few micro issues: No levers were spawned, the river was considered passable on the edges of the map, and the trees didn't block LoS...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I patched the weird camera moves on enemy turn (I think!), and added a defeat screen. So I think I now need to move back to improving the game itself:
I will resume work on the AI (so that it knows when to open door, and when to cast a spell), and tweak damage a little, so that blunt weapons inflict concussion damage, and penetration and damage are more different from each other.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Played the demo a bit more.
Cleared "close portal" and "prison escape" levels with default party; got no idea what I'm supposed to do in 3rd one.
I'm probably being dumb due to flu.

Some random impressions follow.
-Before I started playing this I was ready to compare this to Drums of War or Warbanners, but some dungeon crawl scenarios from Battle for Westnoth seems closer analog.
-Combat seem to center around killing enemies ASAP, there doesn't seem to be buffs or de-buffs or such around. (Or I didn't notice because I didn't check alternative crew members)
-Combat generally is very deadly with units going down from 1 or 2 hits.
-Units, tileset and most props seem reasonably pretty. Chests for some reason look somehow out of place.
-There are objects you can interact with in dungeons, but mousing them feels kinda fiddly. It also would be nice if player would get better info what interacting with things do; now there's this floating thing in the middle of the room that has "use"-icon when I hover mouse over it, but I got no idea if it does anything.
-Way to higlight interactable objects would be nice.
-Difficulty seem to come from enemy reinforcements that get teleported into levels as alarm levels increase. Sometime ago I tried demo of Shardpunk: Verminfall which had somewhat similar enemy spawn mechanic. Bounced off from that quickly.
ZL doesn't seem as frustrating as Shardpunk in that regard, but reliance on enemy spawns might make level design challenging, so that mechanic won't turn into overt annoyance.
-This is WiP demo so there are rough edges, like "end turn"-button sometimes needing double click, random camera movement during enemy turn, game communicating somewhat poorly how many actions character has left etc.
-I've said it before and I'll say it again. Combat log would be nice.
-I liked musics.

edit.
-Usually I would post screens, but ZL didn't seem to work with usual stuff I use.

edit2.
-Please add some way too see where archers could shoot.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Thank you for your feedback, Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Played the demo a bit more.
Cleared "close portal" and "prison escape" levels with default party; got no idea what I'm supposed to do in 3rd one.
I'm probably being dumb due to flu.
[/spoiler]
In the third one, you are supposed to assassinate the dragon knight in the 3rd part of the dungeon (the first two parts are the ones in which you groups of 3 appear, and the last one is the one that is linked to both of these).

Some random impressions follow.
-Before I started playing this I was ready to compare this to Drums of War or Warbanners, but some dungeon crawl scenarios from Battle for Westnoth seems closer analog.
-Combat seem to center around killing enemies ASAP, there doesn't seem to be buffs or de-buffs or such around. (Or I didn't notice because I didn't check alternative crew members)
-Combat generally is very deadly with units going down from 1 or 2 hits.

Combat is indeed about killing opponents before being surrounded. There are not that many buffs or debuffs at the moment. I plan to add a few (mostly auras, because I like their impact on positionning):
Currently, poisoning does decrease the attack and defense of the target, but only Ophiuchis has it.
But in order to do so, you usually need to get sufficient support against a target, or flank it (because having 3 or more attack over the target defense will usually guarantee a critical hit).
Heavily armored opponents usually take longer to kill if you cannot get a critical hit against them.
-Units, tileset and most props seem reasonably pretty. Chests for some reason look somehow out of place.
-Way to higlight interactable objects would be nice.
-There are objects you can interact with in dungeons, but mousing them feels kinda fiddly. It also would be nice if player would get better info what interacting with things do; now there's this floating thing in the middle of the room that has "use"-icon when I hover mouse over it, but I got no idea if it does anything.
Yes, the chest doesn't look like the rest for some reason, despite having been made by the same artist. But in a way, that makes it easier to tell it apart from the non lootable personal chests.
I will highlight interactive objects on TAB or something, and add a tooltip on mouseover. Do you think it would be enough?

-Difficulty seem to come from enemy reinforcements that get teleported into levels as alarm levels increase. Sometime ago I tried demo of Shardpunk: Verminfall which had somewhat similar enemy spawn mechanic. Bounced off from that quickly.
ZL doesn't seem as frustrating as Shardpunk in that regard, but reliance on enemy spawns might make level design challenging, so that mechanic won't turn into overt annoyance.
I need to add some time pressure, otherwise, the optimal way to complete missions will be to regenerate all stamina on everyone before every room, and cast every possible buff. A hard turn limit would not make much sense in most missions, but I will probably add some variety especially in situations where reinforcements won't make sense. We tried to make them relatively lenient, to encourage taking moderate risks (splitting the party, not resting at every opportunity), without making them too oppressive.

-This is WiP demo so there are rough edges, like "end turn"-button sometimes needing double click, random camera movement during enemy turn, game communicating somewhat poorly how many actions character has left etc.
-I've said it before and I'll say it again. Combat log would be nice.
Definitely! I thought I toned down random camera movement in the last patch. I will check it out (it is a pain to check a demo on Steam, because it will always default to the base game if you happen to have it in your library).

-I liked musics.
Thanks!

edit.
-Usually I would post screens, but ZL didn't seem to work with usual stuff I use.
I will see what I can do, but I don't have any idea about that.

edit2.
-Please add some way too see where archers could shoot.

The dotted lines are where the archers can shoot, or do you mean enemy archers? I will definitely add movement and range preview on them on hover. I will also make the dotted los a different color for your archer, because blue on blue is confusing.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
In the third one, you are supposed to assassinate the dragon knight in the 3rd part of the dungeon (the first two parts are the ones in which you groups of 3 appear, and the last one is the one that is linked to both of these).
There was one stationary enemy at said 3rd part of the dungeon, but it didn't move, attack or anything.
I'm pretty certain that I moved one of my units to hex where he was.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
There was one stationary enemy at said 3rd part of the dungeon, but it didn't move, attack or anything.
I'm pretty certain that I moved one of my units to hex where he was.
Sometimes, opponents can glitch if I misstype their profile (and they get no basestats). They end up with 0 in every stats + equipment bonuses, but also get 0 action and moves.
I will have to check it out, but the opponent lineup is randomized.

Regarding the other tactical considerations, there is no buff yet, but units in an enemy zone of Control don't provide support (but the ZoC of the defender and attacker are not counted obviously).
Larger shields (Kite shield and pavise shield/Scutum) provide cover bonus to allies nearby against ranged attack, if the shield bearer is as close or closer to the shooter.
Archers in melee have a large debuf (-1 for each opponent if he is in someone else's ZoC, and -2 otherwise)

As for the tactical considerations, I plan to add the following changes on top of magic skills:

Generic "boost" action so that everyone can use stamina:
Boost will grant : +1 Damage and keep best of 2 rolls for attack OR +2 moves (depending on what is your next action).

Stun:
Some of the damage prevented by armor will be turned into stamina damage (if base damage was very high)
Bludgeoning weapons will

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Stun:
Some of the damage prevented by armor will be turned into stamina damage (if base damage was very high)
Bludgeoning weapons will
Does this mean that combat will be more about attrition?

I will highlight interactive objects on TAB or something, and add a tooltip on mouseover. Do you think it would be enough?
This will probably help.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Stun:
Bludgeoning weapons will
Does this mean that combat will be more about attrition?

I wanted armor to feel different than in most games, where they just somewhat reduce damage. Also, having stun happening when stamina damage drops the total under zero felt like a good way to make bludgeoning weapons different, without making stun too obnoxious.
It was more a way to represent the need to use dedicated techniques and weapons against the heaviest armors (halfswording, stunning the guy then opening the visor for a finishing blow...).

But there will be quite a few magic ways to go through armor obviously.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
rather randomly:

Perhaps for the reinforcements, some way to know when they are supposed to arrive (or when the alarm level is going to increase) wouldn't be amiss.

there's a character that's not showing correctly in one of the "briefing"
811BC8A198726D4DF058E52DFCA735C58DCEE7F2

Also when using special abilities, I have to use left click when clicking on the target, whereas I have to use right click to use the standard attack without clicking on the standard attack action in the bar. It feels inconsistent.

Burn, skeletons!
069552D3E8B610D76E68AE1C75E8CD0E1464B5E9

In some enemy turn, the team2 turn box disappears and the UI to give orders reappeared; orders given then are just executed after the enemies' turn is done.

I like the death animation of the demon knight

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
But there will be quite a few magic ways to go through armor obviously.
Like lockpicks?
That could work!
rather randomly:

Perhaps for the reinforcements, some way to know when they are supposed to arrive (or when the alarm level is going to increase) wouldn't be amiss.
Yes, definitely!
Alarm levels are not fully implemented yet (they only impact reinforcements), but I planned to have something like:
Level 1: enemy groups that are on patrol mission are activated (ie, they can open doors and look for the player team)
Level 2: More traps get rearmed
Level 3: Enemy groups that are on defense can bar the door
Level 4: reinforcements start coming
Level 5: reinforcements at maximum

But only 4 and 5 work at the moment. I wanted to convey a "commando" feel to the dungeon raids, with the player having to move in, complete the mission, and extract (but extraction can get tiresome. I will definitely add a few missions with it, though).
But reinforcements would not be the only way to do so:
In some missions, the enemy could be able to cause "geoscape damage" if he is left alone too long (for instance, if a mage is farcasting nukes on your soldiers outside the dungeon, you should lose a lot more of them it you take 60 turns to take him out than if you take 20).

Also when using special abilities, I have to use left click when clicking on the target, whereas I have to use right click to use the standard attack without clicking on the standard attack action in the bar. It feels inconsistent.
I was using the "Starcraft UI convention" (kind of), also in use in nuXCOM but several players also complained about it. I will add both options.

In some enemy turn, the team2 turn box disappears and the UI to give orders reappeared; orders given then are just executed after the enemies' turn is done.
I really need to add animation synchronisation for the turn box (and the player action freeze).

I like the death animation of the demon knight
Thank you :)

I didn't get much complains about animation speed? Is it ok? I plan to add a move animation settings too (and maybe attack, but it could be trickier, with all the SFX and dodge/hit timed on the animations).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I will stream a let's play today on a new outdoor map at 5PM CST (so in 2h12), and a Q&A tomorrow at the same time, as part of the Steam Tabletop event.
I added a ton of AI changes, but it turned the AI into a complete mess, with groups running past the player team to reach the objective room, or AI soldiers opening doors instead of attacking player characters, so I won't be able to showcase them.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/812910/eventcomments/3115920924801679580/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/812910/eventcomments/3115920924801744011/
You can ask questions you have had on your mind for a while, like "will Libra be the best?" or "what influence did Saint Seiya have on the game?" on Discord, here, or on the Steam forum.

I will update the demo as soon as the AI and active prop changes are working and tested, so in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

The AI still feels a bit wonky(wasting attacks on characters it has 0,5% chance of hurting, charging with its archers), but we are getting there!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Sorry, I recycled the same screenshot :)
I am still working on the AI (now the movement order and targeting priorities, then positionning and ability selection).

Afterwards, I will revamp the demo structure, because the start is quite confusing, so I will start the player directly in combat, work on QoL improvements, and maybe add some kind of help about how the game works until we get to making a real tutorial.
Then, I will add a few abilities and active props ("magic artillery") .
After that, I will work on geoscape persistence (level up, mission outcomes, ...), and then, randomized missions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom