Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2: mask of the betrayer is out now.

Aditya

Educated
Jedi_Learner said:
I just noticed this. I'll go and get my coat then since nobody likes me. :cry:

...OR you can participate in the discussion in a meanigful way...wonder why you didnt highlight THAT part of my post.

Ok, I got a question:
Can I finish the OC (using the latest patch for it), then later install MoB and continue with existing savegame/party?
By backing up the save files, uninstalling the game, reinstalling it, installing that "magic" patch, canceling it,, installing MoB, restoring the save files ?

But Ofcourse. I have saved ONLY my SaveGames folder and I plan to restore that once after installing MotB.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Jedi_Learner said:
Aditya said:
@jedi_learner:

Just shut the fuck up you bitter whiny bitch. All the while you have been trolling on all the NWN2 threads saying NOTHING constructing and/or logical but just attacking either the fans or devs in pathetic attempts of scoring "wow points" from codex coz apparently you 10-yr old cunt seem to think codex is only about illogical stupid whining not discussions.

Didnt others kick your butt in other NWN2 thread already? Dont you ever learn that no one is liking you??!

Its clear that you do not like ANYTHING in life in general and you are just filled up with hatred, poison, bitterness and anger. Your life sucks. Just stop posting in these threads if you dont like NWN2 UNLESS you have something constructive and/or logical to say. This thread was going really fine with discussion between devs and fans until your rotten self intervened. We are tired of your incessant annoying whining and we get that you dont like the game! Its understandable that some people wont like the game and criticism is fine but urs is just WHINE WHINE ATTACKS WHINE....
SO JUST STOP THE FUCK UP AND GET LOST.

I like you, especially your great work in AoD FAQ, but you really attacked him for no reason. If you didn't like what he wrote, you should have adressed it in another way, instead of trying to be witty calling him the new "Pete Hines" and all that. The only thing I can say is that if you leave you are not doing anyone a favor. You can do more intelligent debates than that post.

Starwars

Arcane
I just finished the game. A great ride I have to say, and I honestly can't think of any part of the game as being downright bad. There was one particular section that I feel is a bit to drawn-out, but it doesn't even begin to approach something like, say, the Orc-caves/warehouse in NWN2.
It's easily the best RPG I've played in a long time, and I definetely think it holds up rather well against the "RPG greats".

Very good Obsidian! I can only hope that future products will have the same quality as this. I would also love to see more expansions such as this for NWN2, as I think Obsidian can really flex their muscles and show off their strengths (storytelling and good writing) without having to worry about messing around with a new engine etc etc.

I'm pleased.

Marsal

Arcane
Jedi_Learner said:
Aditya said:
@jedi_learner:

Just shut the fuck up you bitter whiny bitch. All the while you have been trolling on all the NWN2 threads saying NOTHING constructing and/or logical but just attacking either the fans or devs in pathetic attempts of scoring "wow points" from codex coz apparently you 10-yr old cunt seem to think codex is only about illogical stupid whining not discussions.

Didnt others kick your butt in other NWN2 thread already? Dont you ever learn that no one is liking you??!

Its clear that you do not like ANYTHING in life in general and you are just filled up with hatred, poison, bitterness and anger. Your life sucks. Just stop posting in these threads if you dont like NWN2 UNLESS you have something constructive and/or logical to say. This thread was going really fine with discussion between devs and fans until your rotten self intervened. We are tired of your incessant annoying whining and we get that you dont like the game! Its understandable that some people wont like the game and criticism is fine but urs is just WHINE WHINE ATTACKS WHINE....
SO JUST STOP THE FUCK UP AND GET LOST.

Don't get offended that easily, Jedi. I think your reply to the devs post was uncalled for, but so were the reactions from others to your post. The only difference is that you know how Codex works and that it is no place for feint of hart. Would you rather that Summer asked you nicely not to bash the devs? :)

Take it like a man, and save your vitriol for Bethesda. If Pete Hines posts, shred him to pieces ;)

You did/are doing a great job on the AoD FAQ and I belive VD is grateful for that, as are the rest of the Codex members.

As for MotB, I'm a few hours in and it's pretty good. Items and prices are a bit ridiculous, but it's epic levels baby!

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Anthony Davis said:
My cover is blown!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssss....gurgle.

If I don't have anything good to say, I wouldn't bother saying anything (in public :wink: ).

I was merely stating my opinion on the project. It WAS fun to work on. Scope and Focus was tight, it was expertly managed by Kevin Saunders, Rich Taylor, and Tim Cox. I did not say it was perfect, nothing on this planet is.

My statement regarding the ending of the NWN2:OC is fact. That is the ending we intended, it just was not up to people's expectations, and I personally felt it could have used more polish. That was my implication with the 'take that as you will' comment. I will be more specific in future comments to avoid confusion. I apologize for sounding arrogant.

I do think it is human nature for people who are excited about something to descend into hyperbole, and that can lead to false or higher than normal expectations - or in the case of some, cynicism. However, in my comments I have tried to be very clear that I am stating my opinion, I am a programmer, not marketing.

Anyway, we always welcome constructive feedback over at the NWN2 forums. We have community representatives who compile everything they can about bugs and feature requests (though we don't always post feedback on a per case basis, thus the blog).

Anthony Davis
Gameplay Programmer
Obsidian Entertainment

Really? That was the ending you guys designed on purpose?

Honestly, i believed that you ran out of budget at the end and just slapped something together.

And btw, I enjoyed NWN2 very much. Closest thing to BG2 after 10 years. =(

I'll like to ask though.. WHY was that the ending you all decided on? I can immediately think of several better ways to produce a more "closure" type ending that leads to several sequels.

Aditya

Educated
Also, who did the voice-over for the ending of NWN2? It sounded like he was one of the developers or something...sorry to say, but it was totally non-professional and amateur. His voice and tone was just not fitting. This is one of the reason why the ending felt tucked-on when you ran out of resources...

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I'm sorry Anthony for mocking you. I do have concerns about the gaming industry, but I shouldn't of posted what I posted. And for the rest of you, please, I'm not trolling or calling you stupid for liking Neverwinter Nights II, nor am I trying to gain cool points with you. I like it here at the Codex, but I wouldn't post something in some attempt to be popular.

Sorry again Anthony. Please continue your discussion of MotB everyone, I won't bother this topic again unless I actually have something useful to contribute.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
It is a long time since I've seen such a positive reaction to a game (albeit an expansion) on the codex. I'm going to go out and buy MoB and NWN2 tomorrow!

Shannow

Waster of Time
LittleJoe said:
It is a long time since I've seen such a positive reaction to a game (albeit an expansion) on the codex. I'm going to go out and buy MoB and NWN2 tomorrow!
How very enthusiastic of you ;)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Okay, I'm going to have to pretty much second every little fucking thing that's already been said about Mask now that I've played it. Awesome work, Obsidian! I've been fucking starving for a good game for the last six years or so! Keep it up!

MetalCraze

Arcane
I stopped reading this topic at the end of the 1st page where spoilers came in. So I have a simple straight question:

what should I know before installing MotB? I mean I read something that it conflicts with a main game. Any patch/hotfix/hint etc?

MetalCraze

Arcane
thanks.
...but WTF I simply can't believe that Atari/Obsidian are so retarded to release an add-on that obviously won't simply go with the original.

edit>
example of obsidian profeshunul dev said:
Just a little hint to people...

Before reporting your issue, try renaming the Neverwinter Nights folder in your My Documents directory. The game will create a new folder and will give you generic settings - settings more in line with the new options.

This may help in many cases.

Oh god, why can't they just make a normal add-on without all this brain-fucking? And there's also patch 1.11 in line to fix the bugs of 1.10. Already.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jedi_Learner said:
Vault Dweller said:
You simply attacked him for no reason, finding faults in every sentence. Not sure what it looked like to you, but to everyone else it looked like a lame attempt to be cool.

Lame attempt to be cool? Fucking idiot(s).
Did you have to call me a fucking idiot? You made a mistake, I pointed it out. That's all there is to it. My post wasn't personal. I think you are a good and reasonable poster. No need to overreact. In case you didn't notice, I said "looked like a lame attempt", not *was* a lame attempt. No, I don't really think you were trying to score cool points.

I like it here at the Codex, but I wouldn't post something in some attempt to be popular.
And we like you, so I hope you aren't planning to disappear because I said something you didn't like. Friends forevar? :lol:

hiciacit

Liturgist
Well, I went through a whole phase of 'wtf did I buy this game' when playing through the first sections of NWN2, but I ended up enjoying the latter half of the game a lot. I'm in need of a good, new game and after reading through this thread, I'll be picking up MotB tomorrow. You guys better be right about this one.

Jora

Arcane
My spellcasting party (Arcane Scholar, Red Wizard and Spirit Shaman) are constantly being butchered in the second battle against the bear god. I guess I should head back to the town to buy some more protective spells, but Okku's army would tear them down in seconds anyway.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

great writing, great story, great atmosphere, looks like a lot of choices n consequences (cant tell 100% sure though after not even having completed it one time yet^^), great graphics (not as in "next gen engine" but as in "area design is stunning, refreshing and miles above the OC or games like oblivion/two worlds"). good voiceacting (playing in english), didnt encounter any bugs yet...... best story-focused cRPG since PS:T imho.

also has weaknesses though, the same ones 99% of cRPGs share (even the good ones):

1. too much monty haul (seriously, trading items 100.000s gold worth with street merchants ? :p)
2. combat starts out fairly hard and very challenging but at some point your character/party turns so powerfull that the rest is rather unchallenging again. (i m just halfway through the game though, maybe it gets harder later on again )

still, loving it. shame it wont get even half the media attention that crap like shivering isles got.

Jora

Arcane
Oarfish said:
You've missed a character..
I have? Good, I might actually have a chance to win this fight. I just hope the character's not in the tavern. They don't let me in anymore :(

Bossman

Educated
Well, I reckon that I'm about half-way through and I can safely say that Mask of the Betrayer is one of the biggest surprises of the year. I mean, it could have gone sideways for a lot of reasons, but the game is... really good.

The story for one is much more engaging that that of NWN 2 and picks up early on, so no more NWN 2 OC Act I (thank God for simple mercies). The companions are more fleshed out, and as a result the backstories are actually very cool to discover and listen to. Which is a great acomplishment in itself.

One of the things that I particularly like though is that MotB makes a lot more use of the D&D mythos than NWN 2 did, and because of it, the story feels... epic, but in the good sense of the notion. You're not fighting to save the world, you're fighting for your own survival, but interacting with the world and main characters on a much bigger level. Not to mention that it's not about you being the hallowed savior of the Forgotten Realms. Hell, after you reach the first city, you're a fscking time bomb and you're against the clock to save your life (although at first glance I would have to say that the Good oriented characters seem to have it better in regards to the whole Spirit Energy dynamic). Oh, and there's some "old-school" storytelling at work too (aka text-based descriptions, sometimes narrated), which is a nice touch and really manages to set the mood when it's used.

So yeah, if you hadn't guessed already, MotB is definetly worth buying, although it still could have done with some improvements regarding the interface and has some technical quirks (do not set the Shadows to High, unless you want to see what a negative framerate looks like - everything else, graphics wise, is fair game).

Maybe in the next expansion, perhaps? :)

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Starwars said:
I just finished the game. A great ride I have to say, and I honestly can't think of any part of the game as being downright bad...

...It's easily the best RPG I've played in a long time, and I definetely think it holds up rather well against the "RPG greats"...

Very good Obsidian! I can only hope that future products will have the same quality as this. I would also love to see more expansions such as this for NWN2, as I think Obsidian can really flex their muscles and show off their strengths (storytelling and good writing) without having to worry about messing around with a new engine etc etc.

I'm pleased.
Volrath said:
Whoa I'm actually enjoying MOTB, imagine that.
Locue said:
Okay, I'm going to have to pretty much second every little fucking thing that's already been said about Mask now that I've played it. Awesome work, Obsidian! I've been fucking starving for a good game for the last six years or so! Keep it up!

Based on opinions like these, this would be as good a time as any to do an official codex review of MotB. This site should feel responsible in promoting games that encompass qualities that the forum community finds enjoyable, rather than constantly directing their attention to the games that lack them.

Anthony Davis said:
Thanks for the welcome. You guys hopefully *DO* know that you are actually read by a lot of RPG/RPG-ish developers. Even if they don't comment, they do read.

Despite the rampant insanity ( :wink: ) on these boards, there are real gems of insight to be found.

Anthony Davis
Obsidian Entertainment
That is reassuring to know, and it would be nice to have an open dialogue between the rpg developers and the rpg community, because like you said, despite the rampant insanity on these boards, there are real gems of insight to be found.

Though I haven't played MotB yet, if it's like what I read, than I congratulate the developers at Obsidian for a job well done, and I look forward to getting my copy soon.

xantrius

Liturgist
MotB sounds quite promising, looking forward to play it, thanks for the info provided from those who have played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom