Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape: Torment - Profound changes

Qwinn

Scholar
And since I've mentioned the dialogue of class trainers several times, but haven't offered up much in the way of examples, here's several:

Ratbone/Carver:

"Ye knows ye gots ta stop doin' whatever ye're doin' now, right? Ye can't be a warrior or what-not *an'* a thief. Are ye alright with that, cutter?"

By your logic - why not?

And when you're talking to Lady Thorncombe:

"Would you truly give up your current profession?"

"Yes, I wish to give up the sword in exchange for sorcery, taking up the Art once more."

Which directly contradicts your position, since the way you think things should be, you don't have to give up one damn thing about the sword. Anything. At all. In fact, because of the mage's better AC, you actually become better with the sword.

And finally, Porphiron, when you switch -to- being a fighter:

This one speaks: Is it your will to leave behind your previous profession? The path of the warrior cannot be walked with an unfocused mind."

So, is the argument here really that being a fighter is so difficult that you -have- to forget spells and thievery in order to be a proper fighter, but being a mage or thief takes so little focus that you can retain fighter skills? That seems ass-backward to me. Not to mention contradictory.

Please explain to me, by your logic, how TNO can retain the finest details of the highest levels of martial combat with a dagger, but becomes completely incapable of even picking up a club, in a way that resolves any of the "that doesn't make a lick of sense" objections you're throwing up against -my- logic.

Qwinn

mondblut

Arcane
Qwinn said:
THACO is -the- primary fighter ability. It is the entire basis of the class. THACO is every bit as much the core of the fighter class as spells are to the mage.

THAC0 is not a class-exclusive ability. THAC0 is a derived stat which every class natively has. If an ex-fighter is suddenly losing his fighting skill, he could just as well lose all hitpoints he gained while fightering. And percentile strength.

Core fighter *abilities* are abilities to wear any armor, use any weapons, weapon proficiences et al. If PST doesn't have armor, proficiences and has toothpicks more powerful than two-handed swords, too bad. A point still stands - a man "abandoning the way of warrior" may decide from now on not to touch a sword or don an armor, but he can't mystically "unlearn" the fighting skills he had, all while continually engaging in the same kind of fighting as before.

And as Chris Avellone readily agreed to once I pointed it out, it doesn't make any more sense that you forget how to hide or stick a dagger in someone's back than it does forgetting how to fight them -well- when they actually know you're there and trying to dodge your attacks.

You can *decide* not to stick daggers in someones' backs (that's how the whole dualclass shit works originally, it has nothing to do with "forgetting"). You *cannot* decide to fight with daggers as an unskilled newbie when you are an experienced dagger wielder. Particularly when something scaly is ripping pieces out of your legs.

This was discussed, and perfectly plausible reasons have already been offered - like, for example, since a lot of his skills come from subconscious memories of previous incarnations, it is perfectly plausible that he can't access -all- of his previous incarnations' memories -simultaneously-. Besides, yes, it's also entirely plausible that you can't focus as much on the finer points of combat with dozens of spells swimming around in your head.

There is a retroactive excuse for anything, yes.

Please explain to me, by your logic, how TNO can retain the finest details of the highest levels of martial combat with a dagger, but becomes completely incapable of even picking up a club, in a way that resolves any of the "that doesn't make a lick of sense" objections you're throwing up against -my- logic.

Not picking up a club is not an incapability but a conscious decision of a character. By AD&D designers' - not mine - logic, mages do not ever fight with clubs, thus becoming a mage from a fighter means, among other, not to ever use a club to fight (or rather, not to get any xp when fighting with a club). However, mages *do* fight with daggers.

Qwinn

Scholar
There is a retroactive excuse for anything, yes.

Now you're seriously straining my benefit of the doubt that you're arguing in good faith. You asked for a plausible rationalization for the single-class mechanic that -I- didn't devise, the game designers did. I gave you two. Now they're not good enough, because they're "retroactive". Bullshit.

I also note no response to the explicit statement in the manual that the intent was for TNO to be a single-classer. Again, starting to doubt good faith here.

THAC0 is not a class-exclusive ability.

Of course it is. At least, a -good- THACO is. What you're purporting is that, because all the classes use the same -mechanism- for determining whether you hit someone in combat, therefore they all share the same ability in that mechanism. Nonsense. Of course the game isn't going to have a different method of determining To Hit in combat for each class. You're twisting a game mechanic done a certain way for convenience and simplicity and trying to make that mean way more than it does.

The fact that they share the same mechanism is a good reason for why the bug occurred in this mechanic and not other class mechanics, but that's about it.

The highest levels of combat fighting require a high degree of concentration and focus. Every class trainer explicitly tells you that you cannot maintain that level of focus while concentrating on another class. I'm not making that up as some sort of "retroactive excuse", every class trainer says so explicitly. If you want to make it all about "choosing" not to employ your other class's skills that you lose, then fine, you're "choosing" not to devote the single-minded focus it takes to be a brilliant fighter in order to focus on your other skills.

Qwinn

Qwinn

Scholar
Alright. Here's a good question for ya.

Why does a fighter who is using daggers not remember all the spells he knows as a mage?

After all, he's still "choosing" not to use a club or a hammer, the only thing that a non-fighter apparently has to "choose" not to do to be a different class. So why doesn't he just automatically gain thief and mage abilities when he equips a dagger? In your logic, this all comes easy as pie, doesn't require any focus or attention, it's so easy and instinctual that he doesn't lose them even with dozens of spells floating around his head. There isn't one thing he's doing as a fighter that he can't do also as a mage, and remembering all his spells to boot.

So why can he have a THACO of 5 wielding a dagger as a 15th level fighter, but have a THACO of 5 wielding a dagger as a 5th level mage -and- cast a bunch of spells too? Why can the mage remember fighting abilities, but the fighter can't remember mage spells, when they are otherwise "choosing" all the same things that matter?

Is just having the -potential- to pick up a club, even though you are actually choosing not to do so, the reason that a fighter forgets all thief and mage abilities?

Sorry, that makes much less sense to me than anything my logic is suggesting.

Qwinn

The way The Nameless One switches classes is unique to him, isn't it? So, in his case it would be quite plausible to assume that he indeed does 'forget' the skills and experience of a previous class when he chooses a new profession.

mondblut

Arcane
Qwinn said:
You asked for a plausible rationalization...

I did not, because there can be none. I just illustrated the absurdity of the whole thing with most natural "examples".

...for the single-class mechanic that -I- didn't devise, the game designers did.

ORLY? The game designers made THAC0 retain between class changes, just like acquired hitpoint pool retains.

I gave you two. Now they're not good enough, because they're "retroactive". Bullshit.

Fine. The bad thing about far-fetched retroactive excuses is that they are susceptible to far-fetched retroactive debukes.

for example, since a lot of his skills come from subconscious memories of previous incarnations, it is perfectly plausible that he can't access -all- of his previous incarnations' memories -simultaneously-.

As a mage, a character can hack and slash his dagger through enemies exclusively, casting no spells and generally doing nothing a fighter, or any common street thug with a knife, wouldn't do. Obviously he mustn't get combat xp and advance in mage levels, right?

Besides, yes, it's also entirely plausible that you can't focus as much on the finer points of combat with dozens of spells swimming around in your head.

As a mage, a character may exhaust all of his spells. Or even not memorize any at resting in the first place to keep his head clear for fighting. Obviously he must have his fighting skill unfettered, right?

What you're purporting is that, because all the classes use the same -mechanism- for determining whether you hit someone in combat, therefore they all share the same ability in that mechanism.

Bullshit. What I am purporting is that, once somebody learned an ability in a mechanism shared between everyone, he can't be arbitrarily stripped of said ability. Otherwise strip hitpoints as well, they reflect a fighter's "exclusive" ability to fight not a bit less than THAC0.

The fact that they share the same mechanism is a good reason for why the bug occurred in this mechanic and not other class mechanics, but that's about it.

Unless something is expressly stated as a bug, it's a feature.

Every class trainer explicitly tells you that you cannot maintain that level of focus while concentrating on another class. I'm not making that up as some sort of "retroactive excuse", every class trainer says so explicitly.

While concentrating on another class, you get no further fighter HP and THAC0 increases and refuse to use fighter-exclusive equipment. Yes, you might lose the skills you once honed... over time and when not using them. Instantly and despite still using them all the time = bullshit.

If you want to make it all about "choosing" not to employ your other class's skills that you lose...

Not me. All AD&D justifications of dualclassing. As far as the whole retarded mechanic goes, it actually makes a lot of sense. If you turned to become a mage, and then decided to do something your old fighter way, you do not get better as a mage from that.

...then fine, you're "choosing" not to devote the single-minded focus it takes to be a brilliant fighter in order to focus on your other skills.

"Focus" is another retroactive excuse. In-character babble has no relevance to game mechanics.

Why does a fighter who is using daggers not remember all the spells he knows as a mage?

A fighter dualclassed from mage, if so he wishes, may spend his time memorizing spells and then casting them, if he's not too rusty from having not doing that for a long time. He wouldn't, however, gain any fighter experience from that, or any activity remotely touched by his reverting back to magic-using.

So why doesn't he just automatically gain thief and mage abilities when he equips a dagger?

Because he consciously refused to employ them in order to get better as a pure warrior.

If a mage would actually be forbidden from engaging into melee, or get no combat XP altogether unless using his spells, your arguments would have merit. As of now, every character is happily kicking and stomping shit in melee, and there is no reason whatsoever why would a dual-class intentionally fumble his blows because "that's how a mage is supposed to wrestle".

In your logic, this all comes easy as pie, doesn't require any focus or attention,

Yeah. Particularly for a character who changes classes like diapers.

it's so easy and instinctual that he doesn't lose them even with dozens of spells floating around his head. There isn't one thing he's doing as a fighter that he can't do also as a mage, and remembering all his spells to boot.

He doesn't learn further in fighting skill. He doesn't use equipment a non-fighter wouldn't use. Duh, non-fighters can fight too, too bad.

So why can he have a THACO of 5 wielding a dagger as a 15th level fighter, but have a THACO of 5 wielding a dagger as a 5th level mage -and- cast a bunch of spells too?

Because he learned to fight up to THAC0 of 5, and this skill isn't going anywhere as he keeps fighting with dagger just the same, mage or not.

He also has HP of 140 as a 15th level fighter, and then has HP of 140 as a 5th level mage and casts a bunch of spells too.

Why can the mage remember fighting abilities, but the fighter can't remember mage spells, when they are otherwise "choosing" all the same things that matter?

A fighter can remember mage spells when desperate, but they would in no way compliment his further fighting learning (and actually penalize it for a while). Same for a mage really. Generally speaking, he shouldn't get much or any xp for getting into melee at all. A mage experience comes for spellcasting, end of story. And while novice mage might get some xp for slicing a throat or two, one already skilled in fighting should not. That, not pretending "a mage would miss here and slip and fall there, so I shall try too" and stripping THAC0.

The game, however, rewards a brawly "mage" the same if he never cast a single spell. Go figure. Still makes no sense for "fighting like a mage would" make-believe.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
mondblut said:
Not me. All AD&D justifications of dualclassing.
The thing is, TNO ain't dualclasser. He can switch class, but can't dualclass.
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense but for some reason (my bet is on balace issues) devs decided to make it that way. You can either accept that, or write PST multiclass mod. Or just hack your THAC0 via save editor or something, I guess that would be the easiest way to solve your "problem".

mondblut

Arcane
trais said:
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense but for some reason (my bet is on balace issues) devs decided to make it that way.

Uh, see, devs decided to make THAC0 *retain* between class switches in the first place. That's how a game has been since its initial release up until now.

trais

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
trais said:
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense but for some reason (my bet is on balace issues) devs decided to make it that way.

Uh, see, devs decided to make THAC0 *retain* between class switches in the first place. That's how a game has been since its initial release up until now.
Yeah, and when games sometimes crash, it's because devs decided to give you opportunity to rest a little, while you're restarting or rebooting :roll:
Bugs happen, you know.

hiver

mondblut said:
trais said:

Is THACO "retained" in all combination's of classes?
Or just that fighter-mage transition?

mondblut

Arcane
trais said:
Yeah, and when games sometimes crash, it's because devs decided to give you opportunity to rest a little, while you're restarting or rebooting :roll:
Bugs happen, you know.

Clearly you know what than the devs decided better than they do. Welcome to the Codex, mr. Avallone!

trais

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
trais said:
Bugs happen, you know.

Clearly you know what than the devs decided better than they do. Welcome to the Codex, mr. Avallone!

Seriously, RTFM.

pstmanualxs0.jpg

And if you say that the fastest THAC0 progression ain't one of fighter's abilities, than I don't know what is.

mondblut

Arcane
hiver said:
Is THACO "retained" in all combination's of classes?

Apparently so.

trais said:
And if you say that the fastest THAC0 progression ain't one of fighter's abilities, than I don't know what is.

How about... fastest HP progression, mmm?

trais

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
trais said:

How about... fastest HP progression, mmm?

Let's try again, shall we?

pstmanuallc0.jpg

There is no such thing as faster HP progression in TNO case, therefore there is no fastest HP progression either.

mondblut

Arcane
trais said:
There is no such thing as faster HP progression in TNO case, therefore there is no fastest HP progression either.

OK. Nonetheless, as a 1st level mage he still retains all the HPs he had as an umpteenth level fighter. If he "forgets" how to fight, they should drop to 1d10 either, shouldn't they?

(to save a post, just in case: HP are NOT health).

trais

Arcane
Patron
And when TNO switches from umpteenth level mage to 3rd level fighter he "forgets" how to cast even simple spells. It's stupid, but it's how the game works.
Analogically, there is no common sense reason why pawns in chess cannot move backwards - they just can't because there is a rule that says they can't.
So, if PS:T manual (and that's the best documentation we have) states that TNO cannot use other classes' abilities then we'd better stick with that, because if we start to make exceptions here and there we'll end up with one huge mess.

mondblut

Arcane
PST manual states nothing on what exactly constitutes as "abilities". While it is fairly obvious for spellcasting and thieving skills, it is NOT so for a derived stat every character class has.

Mr. Avellone said:
"Feels odd to me"
"I could go either way"
"I don't have a firm judgment on it"

Sounds like a confirmation of a bug? Yeah, right.

Sodomy

Scholar
Qwinn said:
There is an eighth circle, and it's got the biggest xp boost by far. It's 6000xp just for the protagonist to unlock the circle (18 INT) and 10000 to talk to Dak'kon about it (19 WIS). It's possible to get it early with well thought out stats and a couple of Fell's tattoos. But I suspect most people without metagaming knowledge probably don't get it until that sort of xp boost is a lot less significant.
Ah, ok; I'm one INT short. Time to take a trip to Fells!

Well, mages actually level slower than fighters until level 7, then faster than fighters until 14, then slower again forever. This is part of the actual 2nd ed. D&D rules. Since you only gain full hit dice until level 9, I'd say what you're saying is significantly the case only between levels 7 and 9, and not by that much even then.
Nah, you misunderstand me (although this IS an interesting point- thieves get more HP than Fighters...); I was saying that IF mages got the hit die on their levels that weren't the highest TNO class level (that is to say, you got the hit die when going to level 2, 3, and 4; they don't, so this really isn't an issue), mages would end up with more HP since mage level 2 is less XP than fighter level 6.

Qwinn

Scholar
Okay. I'm convinced. This isn't a good faith argument.

"The bad thing about far-fetched retroactive excuses is that they are susceptible to far-fetched retroactive debukes."

Dude, so far we've got you claiming:

1) Class balance getting shot to shit doesn't matter, if this mechanism wrecks it, it must've been intended. If a 15th level fighter can keep his damage output and increase his survivability drastically by "giving up the way of the sword" and switching to a 3rd level mage, why, who are we to question that this was the way things were meant to be?

2) "In-character babble has no relevance to game mechanics." So what if the dialogue becomes nonsensical! What does dialogue have to do with PS:T? It doesn't do a damn thing to reveal the developer's intent, the class trainers say these things in the same way a thousand monkeys can whip up shakespeare.

3) Ignoring the reference to "I wish to give up the way of the sword" and pretending they were all references to "I wish to give up the way of the warrior" because this easier fits your ridiculous argument that fighting well isn't a fighter "ability".

4) We can't define the word "ability" the way sane speakers of the english language do, no, we are now in the world of moondblut, where the previously uncontroversial word "ability" has some subtle -other- meaning that by happenstance exactly conforms to moondblut's wishes to retain this bug as part of the game. And if we don't all redefine the word "ability" to conform to moondblut's wishes, then we're all just making "retroactive excuses".

And you claim -I'm- full of bullshit retroactive excuses? Your argument is, essentially: Everything that contradicts my position - the manual, dialogues, class balance, the plain meaning of the word "ability" - is irrelevant, only the existence of the mechanic in the original game matters. Bullshit. You can say that to justify any -bug-, no matter how obvious it is.

The reason I believe you're totally full of shit is because you keep throwing the "retroactive excuses" around. This is insulting, and it's bullshit. I'm giving you all the up-front reasons for why I believe this mechanism is broken - the manual, the dialogues, the fact that all other class mechanisms are consistent with the manual and the dialogues. You dismiss them all as irrelevant and then claim I am making "retroactive excuses", as if there is no way the manual or the dialogues could point me in this direction and instead I made it up out of whole cloth and am looking for ways to justify it after the fact. That's class A bullshit, and you know it. You wanna assign me venal motives, fine, have some back.

Honestly, the manual bit actually isn't what part of what led me to believe this was a bug. The -rest- of the evidence alone was enough to convince me 95%, because the rest of the evidence alone is overwhelming. trais discovering the manual thing just made it a no-brainer.

"and there is no reason whatsoever why would a dual-class intentionally fumble his blows because "that's how a mage is supposed to wrestle".

Congratulations, you've managed to both erect a straw man argument -and- beg the question in a single sentence.

Straw Man: "that's how a mage is supposed to wrestle". You even put quote marks around something that I didn't just not say, I didn't say anything that remotely means the same thing. You are the one that insists he's "intentionally fumbling his blows". I never did. That's entirely different from putting the single-minded focus on fighting skills that the manual and the class-trainers insist is required to fight in top form.

Begging the question: "there is no reason whatsoever why would a dual-class intentionally". TNO isn't a dual class. That is my position. Your argument hinges on the assumption that your argument is correct. That's what "begging the question" means.

Mr. Avellone wrote:

"Feels odd to me"
"I could go either way"

Nice selective quoting. Guess you missed the fact that this was said in the context of a FIXPACK, and that he said:

"makes sense from a balance standpoint"
"I'd leave it up to you"

and when presented with the exact same argument I'm making against your claims:

"Fair enough!"

And I didn't even know about the manual bit at that point to present as part of the argument.

Qwinn

trais

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
PST manual states nothing on what exactly constitutes as "abilities". While it is fairly obvious for spellcasting and thieving skills, it is NOT so for a derived stat every character class has.
Ok, I get it. Actually being better at hitting things with weapons is not fighter speciality. Everyone can be as good in melee as pure fighter while reaping benefits of their other class and that's fine! Fighter's sucks dwarf's cock.

mondblut said:
Mr. Avellone said:
"Feels odd to me"
"I could go either way"

As would Annie Carlson say:
That QUOTE proves you sooooo RIGHT. Everyone knows that MCA did PST all by HIMSELF and after nearly TEN YEARS he still REMEMBERS every TECHNICAL stuff. And then you quote him saying that he's NOT SURE on this matter! OH NOOOOOOOES! /feeling stupid

mondblut

Arcane
Qwinn said:
Okay. I'm convinced. This isn't a good faith argument.

WTF is good faith? It's the Codex, dammit.

1) Class balance getting shot to shit doesn't matter

Correct. Game balance is like sex - some like it soft and tender, some prefer rough and up their asses. That's why there are such wonderful tools as "difficulty levels" in games, augmented in RPGs with a possibility to create particularly powerful or particularly weak characters. Thus, any supposed balance issue, unless explicitly confirmed as a bug by developers, is working as designed, and any changes to it classify as modding, not fixing bugs. Since you offer both a "fixpack" and a "tweakpack", you surely know the difference.

Not to mention that, unless a game is about competetive multiplayer, class balance in general is worth shit once it clashes against common sense.

If a 15th level fighter can keep his damage output and increase his survivability drastically by "giving up the way of the sword" and switching to a 3rd level mage, why, who are we to question that this was the way things were meant to be?

Correct. The developers of the software and the documentation they used in development process are the sole authority on what and how should or shouldn't function in their game.

"In-character babble has no relevance to game mechanics." So what if the dialogue becomes nonsensical! What does dialogue have to do with PS:T? It doesn't do a damn thing to reveal the developer's intent, the class trainers say these things in the same way a thousand monkeys can whip up shakespeare.

Correct. Fluff and game mechanics are divorced. The class trainers don't know what a THAC0 is. The game mechanics don't know and don't give a fuck what "giving up a way of a sword" is. Vague in-character allusions at internal mechanics are not arguments, and taking them literally is laughable.

Ignoring the reference to "I wish to give up the way of the sword" and pretending they were all references to "I wish to give up the way of the warrior" because this easier fits your ridiculous argument that fighting well isn't a fighter "ability".

:roll: So what game mechanics action does "giving up the way of the sword" imply? A decision not to touch a sword ever again? A decision not to use the accumulated weapon skills? A decision not to engage in any kind of physical violence? A decision not to walk down the Sword Street? Some other wild interpretation? Your assumption is as good as mine, but it better be related to actual ingame effects. Like, uh, getting unable to use swords... or losing fighter THAC0, which doesn't happen.

We can't define the word "ability" the way sane speakers of the english language do

A figher is able to fight. A wizard is able to fight. A thief is able to fight. They are able to fight at various effectiveness, but have the ability nonetheless.

moondblut's wishes to retain this bug as part of the game.

I don't really care about the game. I am really just annoyed by the ambitious modders' tendency to arbitrarily claim any feature they don't like as a bug, pretend they know better than the developers, change the game at their whim, and then present it to the public as a mandatory bugfix rather than optional alteration. Not directed towards you in particular.

Everything that contradicts my position - the manual

Manual states nothing about changing THAC0 at class change.

dialogues

The dialogues know nothing about "THAC0" since that's a game mechanics term.

class balance

Irrelevant, as far as developers themselves were concerned while making the game.

the plain meaning of the word "ability"

Shows that this specific ability is not special to any class.

You dismiss them all as irrelevant and then claim I am making "retroactive excuses", as if there is no way the manual or the dialogues could point me in this direction and instead I made it up out of whole cloth and am looking for ways to justify it after the fact.

You do. Every argument you bring up is a wild assumption or whatever interpretation of some vague and largely irrelevant statement seems gainful for your cause.

Straw Man: "that's how a mage is supposed to wrestle". You even put quote marks around something that I didn't just not say, I didn't say anything that remotely means the same thing. You are the one that insists he's "intentionally fumbling his blows". I never did.

:roll: Christ, you are so full of yourself...

Pedowikia said:
Another important use of quotation marks is to indicate or call attention to ironic or apologetic words. Ironic quotation marks can also be called scare, sneer, shock, or distance quotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark

No mention of Qwinn on that page.

That's entirely different from putting the single-minded focus on fighting skills that the manual and the class-trainers insist is required to fight in top form.

Multiclass characters of all demihuman races, including those hardly different from humans, have no hardships combining fighting with other classes. So much for the "focus". Yeah, they lack that psychotic human obsession to become the most perfect swordsman ever ever, and thus don't get weapon masteries... but have no problem routinely gaining more levels.

Begging the question: "there is no reason whatsoever why would a dual-class intentionally". TNO isn't a dual class.

Irrelevant. He could be a dual-class, a multi-class, a self-invented-unique-kind-of-class, his fighting skill doesn't go anywhere when he keeps and keeps fighting.

Nice selective quoting.

I kept the essential. To sum it up: "that's how we designed it, and the way it works never troubled us".

"makes sense from a balance standpoint"

Correct but irrelevant as far as bugfixes go. The whole Planescape doesn't make a slightest sense from a science standpoint, so what?

"I'd leave it up to you"
and when presented with the exact same argument I'm making against your claims:
"Fair enough!"

Translation: "I made the game 10 years ago, mess with it all you want, I don't give a damn."[/url]

mondblut

Arcane
trais said:
Ok, I get it. Actually being better at hitting things with weapons is not fighter speciality.

"Better" is relative.

Everyone can be as good in melee as pure fighter while reaping benefits of their other class and that's fine!

Yes. A 5th level thief and a 7th level mage are as good in melee as pure 3rd level fighter.

That QUOTE proves you sooooo RIGHT. Everyone knows that MCA did PST all by HIMSELF and after nearly TEN YEARS he still REMEMBERS every TECHNICAL stuff. And then you quote him saying that he's NOT SURE on this matter! OH NOOOOOOOES! /feeling stupid

Yeah, surely the modders know better.

Qwinn

Scholar
Yawn.

All your arguments are bullshit, and self-evidently so. But if they aren't obvious on their own, we have this to confirm where you're really coming from. From the 2nd page of this thread, by moondblut:

This whole silly shit with being forbidden to use old class abilities after dualclassing is all wrong in computer RPGs. AD&D proper doesn't "forbid" an ex-fighter to fight with his old sword, it just doesn't give him experience to his new class when he falls back to old tricks. I guess that's something too hard for a machine capable of 10 million instructions per second to calculate.

Even that doesn't make much sense, though. A mage *would* get experience for fighting an enemy with a staff or a dagger. If he has a prior experience in that weapon as a fighter, is he supposed to restrain his blows or something to "get experience"? Ok... thinking logically, he wouldn't learn that much indeed, but restraining hands hardly helps to remedy that.

...anyway, so anything that makes some of those stupid restrictions on old class abilities go is welcome. Keeping best THAC0 = good, demanding of character to restrain his blows = bad.

There it is, in black and white. A frank concession that what I am saying was the intent is frankly the standard by which D&D rules are handled. Your ceaseless bitching has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you think the developers really intended it this way. All your bad-faith arguments to that effect are cover for the fact that you think it would be -better- this way, and "anything" that makes it closer to the way you think it should be handled - and far as I know, "anything" includes exploiting bugs - is welcome by you.

Making the game what moondblut wanted it to be is not part of the mission statement. Discarding every piece of evidence of designer intent that runs contrary to moondblut's wishes is not only not the mission plan, but after all this ceaseless bad faith bullshit, it may become my mission to make it the exact opposite.

trais wrote:
Ok, I get it. Actually being better at hitting things with weapons is not fighter speciality.

"Better" is relative.

Yes, you're right, it's a totally "relative" concept whether or not fighters are supposed to be better at hitting things with weapons.

You're digging way too deep into the depths of insane stupidity for me to bother any longer.

Look - every single bug I fix? They're not really bugs. Every single one was intended that way. I have less reason to believe any single item is a bug than this issue. Therefore, don't use my fixpack. Mkay? Mkay.

Qwinn

scient

Augur
Ok, going by your issue with keeping the game as it was originally coded you should roll back all the morale fixes as well. Why? Because I rewrote the system entirely. What? You don't want to be stuck with 10 morale throughout the game? Well, that's the way it was explicitly coded...no bug there. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom