Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you pledge to a new Obsidian Kickstarter?

Would you pledge to a new Obsidian Kickstarter?

• YES, in the blink of an eye.

Votes: 71 16.7%
  • YES, but only if Sawyer is not involved in any form or manner.

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • YES, only if is an Avellone project.

Votes: 23 5.4%
  • NO, thank you very much.

Votes: 96 22.6%
  • Depends on the pitch, setting, etc.

Votes: 138 32.5%
  • YES, only if It's a Tim Cain project.

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • YES, only if Sawyer is involved.

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • YES, if turn-based

Votes: 28 6.6%
  • Not gonna happen with MCA gone

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters

Fry

Arcane
I like POE okay, but fresh it is not.

Leaving aside whatever problems I may have with narrative structure and writing, PoE's setting was what I expected and necessarily adhered to the concept they sold.

I could do with a lot less Swords 'n' Sorcerers in general, and would be pretty interested in an Obsidian project that... isn't that.

4too

Arcane
Which Side Are You On …

Was balanced between No and Depends,

and then realized I have physical POE still in mailer,

and digital option, lays entrusted to GoG’s server.

Well if this is evidence of where my passions fly, the spiritual reincarnation of BG that was not REALLY the spiritual reincarnation of BG,

POE / BG looks the same to me.

Smirk that I probably did not want POE to be another BG, anyway, since I lost interest in playing the BG style somewhere in BG2, and never looked back.

Just like my opinion of BG, I only care about POE because you all at the Codex care. :hug:

Interesting drama, but not worth tooling up the synapses for RTWP when there is more immediate fun available.

At this point, Obsidian Kickstarter?

I’ll just say No.

… and (note the intensifier) HELL YES to the agony and the ecstasy that invigorates Codex commentary. ;)

4too

imweasel

Firing Ziets and Saunders instead of some other people turned to be a mistake as far i am conserned.
Yeah, that was pretty dumb. Everyone knows that a Saunders and a Ziets are worth at least five Sawyers each.

leferd

Augur
Yes. Especially if we can witness another Sensuki-like meltdown and butthurt scenario.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Please, Sensuki was a necessary evil. I'd never have figured out how to be at peace with the combat without him.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'd back if they agree to the following demands:

- Tim Cain and Avellone are lead.
Why it can never happen: because Cain is synonymous with failure for them, since money is the only way to measure success for people with no taste. And Avellone doesn't seem to be interested in being lead.

- Sawyer is nowhere near it.
Why it can never happen: Sawyer likes ruining people's lives and sticking it to their face, because as a child he was sexually abused and bullied a LOT.

- They work with a rich existing setting, because they demonstrated their inability to make their own.
Why it can never happen: because they haven't been able to get their hands on one in what must be 10 years now? And they have no money for one.

Moons would have to align for me to back another Obsidian's shit.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I would donate for a kickstarter that would lay off Sawyer and make him sign a contract to never work at any other RPG developer besides Bethesda and Bioware.
Yes, because PoE proved once again that Obsidian is the only hope left in the industry.
The only hope left in the industry just dun' got its ass kicked by a mobile game developer with 2 employees working on their first CRPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only hope left in the industry just dun' got its ass kicked by a mobile game developer with 2 employees working on their first CRPG

Did they? There's a remarkable paucity of direct comparisons between Serpent in the Staglands' and PoE's combat. I wonder why that is... :M

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Because SitS combat isn't tedious. It's also unbalanced.
If you're making a RTWP abomination, the least you can do is make the combat less of a hassle (even if you have cant use the number keys to switch between characters). The M&M approach if you will. SitS gets that, PoE doesn't.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I would back another of their kickstartesrs but only if Infinitron lets me write the review.

Avellion

Erudite
While I would be more prone to backing one of their kickstarters more than pretty much any other dev.

It ultimately depends on what they would promise. I would gladly back a game which seems to align with my own tastes, and refuse to back one which conflicts with my tastes.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I would back another of their kickstartesrs but only if Infinitron lets me write the review.

You'll both pledge to the game and write a review of it anyway. You know it.

In that other thread where people are calling me a fanboy, I got to thinking that I only own 2 Obsidian games -- FO:NV and PoE. I owned NWNII at some point, but I loaned it to my brother and never got it back (and never missed it, if I remember). So I'm actually not very familiar with their body of work. It would take a really exciting premise for me to back another project from them, say a Sci-Fi RPG written by Avellone or something like that. But as it stands right now, I don't give a shit about tanks or card games.

Zeronet

Learned
I miss Ziets, MotB was Obsidians highpoint. Sure he's doing the lords work for Torment, but eh. The evil path in PoE was totally underwhelming compared to MotB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom