Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Doom had situational use of weapons? I think you may be overestimating how "smart" doom was.

Beowulf

Arcane
On a serious note - why is it that every developer assumes vast knowledge of the developed product in question from the viewer?
And how many times can you say " ... you know" in 4 minutes?

It could be because this video is not targeted at mass audience, it's for those who've been following the game.

Well, I was getting at the fact, that in recent videos and interviews I've seen/read, most of the developers say "...you know" every second sentence.
Like in previous Bethesda videos with developers commentary, those Star Citizen ones, and so on, you know?

T. Reich

Arcane
Doom had situational use of weapons? I think you may be overestimating how "smart" doom was.

Or you haven't played it properly.

The most glaring example is that BFG has quite obvious situational use and is not a to-go weapon of choice in most situations.

Also, enemies have stun animations and different stun tresholds.
Therefore, some weapons are better to use against certain types of enemies based on this criteria alone.

Not to mention the quite obvious criteria of whether you want to stay in the line of enemies' (for example hitscan) fire while shooting at them, or would rather do the oldschool pop-a-mole variant of hiding behind corners while taking potshots.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It does look like they've buffed the general speed aside from just increasing the FoV, but maybe that's just another one of those upgrades. Although the increased speed does not synergize well with the tighter corridors and arenas.
From what I saw, the player kept running around circles in the arena and just shot everything in front of him. It doesn't look like situational awareness and crowd control plays a large role in nuDoom, when you can just jump over most enemies like a rabbit, there are not enough enemies to pose a serious threat for more tougher enemy types to stand out, and enemy placement is just whatever. Sound design plays a large part in situational awareness, but I can't really tell most enemies apart from their sounds in nuDoom, nor does it seem to be ever required. It's also hard to tell to hear what's going on around you when that noise soundtrack kicks in. Enemy screams blend in better with heavy metal than noisestep.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot reason to use one weapon over the other, save for the super shotgun, gauss rifle and rocket launcher, outside of running out of ammo. I don't understand why the Assault Rifle exists when there's a chaingun, and the alt. fire to the AR is almost identical to the alt. fire of the shotgun. Usually you'd use a plasma rifle to deal more damage than the chaingun, but now I don't really see a functional difference between the AR and plasma rifle.
Also I'm not sure how to feel about being able to switch weapons when the SS is reloading? It kind of ruins the balance when you consider the risk of shooting a SS in the original, whereas now you can just pump out a short-range burst almost anytime. I guess you could say you could do the same thing in Quake 1, but the RoF of the Q1 SS was already pretty high to begin with.
And most of the time I can't even tell where all the ammo and health is coming from, nor am I probably intended to.

That latest D44M video does look significantly more fun than all the other gameplay videos made on the console, but I'm a bit worried that it will delve too deep into 'mindless' territory. The designers probably wanted to really keep the player in the flow by removing the mental strain of situational awareness and resource management in favor of frantic movement and shooting. D44M is more similar to Quake in terms of gameplay than Doom at this point, but Quake's level design crafted interesting varied encounters using the various enemy types which did require more than two braincells in order to figure out how you were going to deal with it. That, and melee enemies in Quake actually posed a threat.

This should not make me as angry as it should
Mick Gordon is perfectly capable of making good music, but I can't for the love of god understand the direction he took with the D44M soundtrack

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
How many levels will there be ?

I think weapons should not be that available. You need to find the best ones in very secretly placed areas. Just for the challenge sake.

Astral Rag

Arcane
ImIF8Vhl.png

Xenich

Cipher

"As you deal with the brutally unfair enemy design..." "... and end up starting over at the beginning of the dungeon again!"

That video commentary is definitely the "gamer" of today. Poor little participation trophy metro-sexual kiddies. Damn they are such pathetic whiners.

Sodafish

Arcane
I'm still triggered that they put quad damage in NuDoom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom