Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best milieu/environment/setting for a RPG or CRPG?

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I like watching videos of old graveyards on Youtube, and I have hiked to three in my surrounding area to try to read the really old stones. I also love the graveyards in 'LoZ: A Link to the Past', near the end of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas', the catacombs of 'As Above So Below', 'Pokemon R'/'B', and 'LoZ: Oracle of Ages'. I'm into ghost story fiction like the movies 'The Others' and 'The Grudge' and 'The Changeling', the excelent episodes of the anime 'Ghost Hunt' titled 'The Blood-Stained Labyrinth' (watch in the dark!), the anime 'Another' (one of my recent favorite ghost stories), and the short stories 'The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer' by John Ajvide Lindqvist of 'Let the Right One In' fame and 'The Child's Problem'.

If there was a cRPG with a creepy secluded manor and a graveyard full of secret passages and ghosts that your party have to avoid and escape from while trying to find out the mystery of the place and your party's salvation would be awesome. Stats would necessarily have to be unconventional and thematic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In conclusion, my answer is simple and unconventional. The best setting for an RPG is one conceived of and curated to consistency by a single person.

Yes. Good worlds are never built by committee but by one creative guy (or, rarely, girl) who knows what the fuck he's doing.

Modern Elder Scrolls lore, for example, is boring, but it used to be good when one drug-addled madman was in charge of writing it.
Fallout was at its best when it was the brain-child of Cain, Boyarsky, and Anderson.

As I nodded, half-awake, softly there came what seemed to be the voice of Perithoös into my sad and idle thoughts. I was called by my name.

“Telemachos, Telemachos! Undo for me the door as once I did for you; return the good deed you said you would. If vows are nothing, what is anything?”

I did not move or raise my head, but my brain elements sent this message softly out into the night, even though my lips did not move. “Perithoös, closer than a brother, I wept when I heard your company was overwhelmed by the monsters. What became of the maiden you set out to rescue?”

“Maiden no more I found her. Dead, dead, horribly dead, and by my hand. Herself and her child; and I had not the courage to join them.”

“How are you alive after all these years?”

“I cannot make the door to open.”

“Call to the gate-warden, Perithoös, and he will lower a speaking tube from a Meurtriere and you may whisper the Master-Word into it, and so prove your human soul has not been destroyed, and I will be the first to welcome you.”

The Master-Word did not come. Instead, mere words, such as any fell creature of the night could impersonate, now whispered in my brain: “Telemachos, son of Amphion! I am still human, I still remember life, but I cannot say the Master-Word.”

“You lie. That cannot be.”

And yet I felt a tear stinging in my eye, and I knew, somehow, that this voice did not lie: he was still human. But how could he forget the Word?

“Though it has never been before, in the name of the blood we shed together as boys, the gruel in which we bound our silly oath, I call on you to believe and know that a new sorrow has appeared in this old, sad world, like fresh blood from an old scar; it is possible to forget what it means to be a man, and yet remain one. I have lost the Master-Word; I have my very self. Let me through the door. I am so cold.”

I did no longer answer him, but stirred my heavy limbs.

Though my hands and feet felt like lead, I moved and trembled and slid from my desk where I slumbered, and fell to the floor heavily enough to jar myself awake.

How long I lay I do not know. My memory is dark, and perhaps time was not for me then flowing as it should have been. I remember being cold, but not having the strength to rise and shut the window; and this was a part of the library, so there were no thought-switches I could close just by wishing them closed.

My thoughts drifted with the cold wind from the window.

This wing of the library had been deserted for half a million of years. No one came into this wing, since no one could read the language, or understand the thoughts, of the long-forgotten peoples who had sent Usire out to found a new stronghold. Only I knew the real name of those ancient folk; modern antiquarians called them the Orichalcum people, because they were the only ones who knew the secret of that metal; and no other trace of them survived.

And so the Air Masters, during the last two hundred years of power-outages, had lowered the ventilation budget in this wing to a minimum. I had needed vasculum of breathing-leaf just to get in here, and would have fainted with the window shut.

Nor were failures of the ventilations rare. Most windows of most of the middle-level cities stood open, these days, no matter what the wise traditions of elder times required.

It was two miles above the Night Land. No monster could cross the White Circle, and nothing has climbed so high since the Incursions of four hundred thousand years ago; and even if they did, this window was too small to admit them.

I remembered wings. In my dreams I see doves, or the machines used by ancient men to impersonate them. But the air is thin, and even the dark and famished things have no wings to mount so high.

I thought there was no danger to have the window open. Stinging insects, vapors, or particles would be surely stopped by the Air Clog. But what if the power losses over the last few centuries were greater than is publicly admitted by the Aediles or the Castellan? But it had not stopped the Mind-Call, as it should have done.

Many Foretellers have dreamt that it is five million years before the final extinction of mankind. Most of the visions agree on certain basic elements, though much is in dispute. Five million years. We are supposed to have that long. I wondered, not for the first time, if those who say that they can see the shape of fate are wrong.

I came awake when there was a movement, a clang, behind me as the hatch swung open. Here was a Master of the Watch, clad from head to toe in full armor, and carrying in hand that terrible weapon called the Diskos.

I knew better than to wonder why a Watchman was here. He came into the chamber, his blade extending before him as he stepped, and his eyes never left me. The shaft was extended. The blade was lit and spinning. The furious noise of the weapon filled the room. Flickering shadows fled up and down the walls and bookshelves as eerie sparks snapped, and I felt the hair on my head, the little hairs on my naked arms, stir and stand up. I smelled ozone.

Without rising, I raised my hands. “I am a man! I am human!”

His voice was very deep, a rumble of gravel. “They all say that, those that talk.”

Slowly, loudly, clearly, I said the Master-Word, both aloud with reverent lips, and by sending it with my brain-elements.

It seemed so dark in the chamber when he doused his blade, but his smile of relief was bright.

night_land__attack_of_the_abhumans_by_j_humphries-da7m2cq.jpg

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Gonna drop some love for Super Hero bullshit here. Marvel Super Heroes RPG by TSR back in the day was fantastic (you can find the old source books here http://classicmarvelforever.com/cms/.)

Freedom Force did an okay job of making a user friendly RTwP superhero rpg. Marvel Ultimate Alliance does a decent job in the action-rpg arena.

Marvel Heroes (online), initially developed by Tim Cain, did an amazing job of encompassing almost all of the diversity of the Marvel canon in gameplay. Now sadly dead.

But, ultimately, City of Heroes was the greatest super-hero rpg ever made. Any kind of build, great lore and, while a bit grindy at times, you never felt like you couldn't power-game your way through the dragging bits.

You could fly, or super-jump, or speed-run, or teleport your way through a vast, diverse metropolis.

Goddamnit....I need another great superhero rpg.

That's my favorite Dorkdom.

Zakhad

Savant
Life of the Party wins this thread. The problem with so much of that classic horror/fantasy/weird cosmic literature (e.g. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Dunsany) is that it's great to read but doesn't really translate well into a CRPG (I know some people love Cthulhu RPGs but they've always disappointed me, they seem to miss the point of what makes Lovecraft great... PnP RPGs can do it better of course, but depends on GM quality). But this sounds like it would work much better.

We are lost in endless and titanic halls of windowless metal. Some of the things pursuing us are so large that, to them, even these halls are cramped, and the miters of the crawling sphinxes scrape flakes of debris from the expanse of black plate above.

I say we are aboard a ship. The other men resurrected from the Archive disagree. Some think we are in hell, or in a fairy-mound, or suffering the hallucinations imposed by the thinking-machines of futuristic science.

Of all of us, the man from the latest period of humanity was from AD 29,000,000, some twenty-nine million years after my death. He came from an age long after the sun had died, a terror-haunted world of eternal darkness. His home was a titanic fortress called the Last Redoubt, a structure hulled against the infinite cold of a sunless sky, nursing its life on the last few embers of dying geothermal and geomagnetic heat. His name is Ydmos of Utter-Tower. Ydmos thinks this vessel is a redoubt like his, one long ago captured by the enemy, and that we are all buried far underground.

Even his era is uncountable years lost, compared to this present one. Earth was murdered more than fifteen billion years ago; the Milky Way, star by star, was consumed by darkness five billion years ago, and the Greater and Lesser Magellanic Clouds as well. The great galaxy in Andromeda, her satellite galaxies M32 and M110, and Triagulum Galaxy in M33, are also gone: the spiral galaxies in Ursa Minor, Sculptor, Draco, Carina, Fornax: over the slow millennia, all are destroyed and vanished.

All the stars known to the astronomers of history are gone: the galaxies have tumbled together into a vast and central fire, the Last Of All Suns. At the core of this sun is one infinitely heavy point of nothingness where nine-tenths of the mass and energy of the universe are compressed.

Of the remaining tenth part of the substance of the universe, some lingers yet in the form of matter, including a remnant of red dwarf galaxies, their cores absorbed into black holes, their arms choked with exhausted nebulae that will never collapse again to form fresh stars. The dying galaxies are streaming toward the central fire, and, from our position in time and space, seem, to us, not yet to have been consumed. Perhaps that event has happened: the light from it has not reached us. Some of the remaining universal mass is in the form of energy: the residue of the universe has dropped to a uniform background radiation just above absolute zero.

And one infinitely small residuum of the dying cosmos is matter and energy lingering yet in the form of living creatures and their works: there is one ship left, with us aboard.

There is something else aboard as well, something horribly alien to our continuum, to life, to time and space and order. The ship is theirs: we are as rats in the hold.

1443481206787.jpg

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVf1y_I0Ok0 This goes well with the above reading material.

If you want room for a player/party to have influence on the plot, you don't want one competent central authority in charge of everything, I think. Otherwise, why isn't everything for which adventurers might be in demand, simply handled by the military and other arms of the State? That's why it's good to have post-apocalyptic or a very divided polity.

Personally I favour fantasy, as long as it consists mostly of new ideas, not old ones.

Any sci-fi has to address certain technological 'singularity' events, like self-programming AI, genetic engineering, and von Neumann machines. There's also the FTL issue (I quite like generation starships personally). I think Frank Herbert's Butlerian Jihad is a good answer, and should be copied automatically by most sci-fi.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anything with barbarians.
Any fella who can use the Night Land setting to his advantage to make a decent rpg is a titan amongst men. I for one for cannot fathom how to implement open-ended problem solving that doesn't limit itself to within the Redoubt.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
John Stoddard's novel, The Night Land, A Story Retold (2011) is a retelling of The Night Land, intended for modern readers who may be unwilling to read the archaic language of the original. While retaining the story of The Night Land, it departs from the original by naming the main character, adding brief scenes, and using dialogue (the original version had none).

:x

Mneseus of Atlantis had not spoken since the battle. He sat, his unstrung bowstaff in hand, on the edge of a machine housing, but his head was bowed, and his left hand covered his face.

Slowly, he raised his face. His eyes were wet and red.

Mneseus said: “I shall speak. Noble sirs, ghosts of the future, my descendants, hear me: it is seen that there were neither bride nor child among those stirred again to life in the dark coffins. Is it not strange, that men only were brought to life, and no sister, no daughter, no mother of our race, glancing-eyed, dark-haired, with shining limbs?

“Once, I stood beneath the bright sun all-seeing, beside the wine-dark sea. The Sybil of the Serpent-Shrine at Dolphins, she said that there is a land beyond the fields of Asphodel: Father Time, Chronos, would perish, and the Eternal Universe, Ouranos, will halt the turning of the years. The grate of Hades would be stove in, and the shades made flesh again. All lovers would be reunited.”

Mneseus was a very dignified-looking fellow, polite and grim in the way soldiers who have seen too much combat often have. Even jolly little Huc-huc Pounce (back before the dire-worms took him) had not been able to make Mneseus laugh. He dated from somewhere older than 4000 B.C.

Abraxander-the-Threshold had conjured him a voluminous white mantle, which he wore draped over his chest and arms like you might see in classical sculpture.

His shirt was linen and his leather skirt was hemmed with gold pebbles. Shields or plates of bronze and oxhide hung over his chest and back: there were shining greaves on his calves, and he wore a leather sleeve on his right arm to protect it from the bowstring.

His helm was of a design that looked strangely modern to me: it looked like a flat pie-plate of bronze, tied in a complex tangle with two ribbons under and around his chin. Atop the helmet was a coronet of white poplar leaves, tied with purple ribbon. He had insisted Abraxander create for him a flask of oil, with which he anointed his limbs, so that they shone: he seemed to think this more important than his tunic or mantle or skirt.

A small cylindrical quiver of metal hung over one shoulder, and his arrows clashed when he ran. He was the swiftest afoot of all of us, fleeter even than He-Sings-Death.

The bow shot silvery arrows tipped with ampoules of glass and metal. There was some sort of magic or forgotten science to arrowheads, for he had to prepare them or charge them with an amber rod he wore at his belt. When the arrows were charged, there was a smell like summer lightning in the air. When he shot a monster with an arrow, even the smallest wound would make the monster dance and leap, limbs jerking, and drop dead.

Was it an electrical charge of some sort? I kept expecting a flash of lightning or a thunderclap to come from the flying shafts of the wizard from Atlantis, but it never came. When he strung his bow, there was just a silent sense of pressure in the air, like you feel before a thunderstorm.

Mneseus held the bow unstrung now, and he was seated on the edge of a machine casing, but his posture was kingly, and the bowstaff in his hand seemed a scepter.

Mneseus looked up at He-Sings-Death, and stared him eye to eye, and called out in a ringing voice: “Now is the time, is it not? Now is the hour when Ouranos, who created Cosmos from Chaos, returns from exile to claim his kingdom, and end the tyranny of Time, his wicked son. And—? And—?”

He lowered his bow staff and waved it left and right, pointing to one side of the chamber, and the other. I looked. There were tall square shapes, like abandoned machines, things that looked like dull tall mirrors, and, in the center of the room, the very wide sunken amphitheatre of chairs, all facing the floor of glass. There was that mysterious light shining from the sunken glass floor in the center of the chamber.

“I see her not,” He said at last, dropping his hand.

I said, “Pardon me, Your Majesty, but for whom would you be looking?”

He looked at me. His eyes were tilted, like the eyes of a Chinaman, but the pupils were silvery, a color I had never seen in a human before.

He said softly, “My queen, the witch Parthenope. She repented of her crimes, freed the maidens of her tower, and consented to age and die as other women do. She threw her bowl where she mixed poisons into the sea, though the hag-goddess of the dark of the moon was angered at her for her ingratitude. My queen used her wisdom thereafter to heal the sick, and to calm the storms at sea. When she perished, a pine tree grew up upon her grave. The augurs told me this was a sign of everlasting life. A halcyon nested in the branches.

“Where is she?” Mneseus continued. “All lovers are to be reunited at the end of time. Now is the Eschaton. Where is my wife?”

The voice of Mneseus was heavy with grief.

He-Sings-Death still menaced him with his javelin.

I said to He-Sings-Death, “Mr. Singer, you told us the devil cannot weep, but His Majesty clearly has been. Put down the weapon, and let us use our wits to find the traitor here.”

He-Sings-Death hesitated.

Mneseus looked at him with contempt. “Strike, then, barbarian, and rid this iron hell of one more grieving soul. What care I for your suspicions? None are worthy to stand in judgment over me. Strike! And pierce my heart: it is pained with weeping, and no more to be called a man's heart. Where, O Hercules! Where is my virtue gone?”

All at once he stood, put his sandal to his bow, bent and strung it. In one smooth motion he snatched an arrow from his quiver, touched it to the amber at his belt, fit it to the string, and raised the bow and drew the string back to his ear. The room throbbed with an unseen power: I smelled lighting in the air.

He pointed the arrow at He-Sings-Death. “You stood idle while my shining hands strung my death-bestowing bow, which slays men. Why did you allow me? That was folly.”

He-Sings-Death smiled, but his voice shook. He had seen what the arrows of Mneseus could do.

The painted Cave Man said, “Three spirits made the world: He-Knows-All, He-Gives-Gifts, He-Spares-Men. He-Spares-Men has told us that it is wrong to kill a brother. But I do not know what you are! Are you a man who eats flesh cooked with fire, as other men do? Or are you the serpent hidden with us? If you are not the serpent hidden with us, why did you say poison words into my ear about Captain Powell, He-Holds-Iron-Thunder?”

Because of the strain of holding the bowstring taut, Mneseus could only speak through clenched teeth. “Hah! Is mine eye the only open eye here? None other has seen it. Enough! I am not your tutor, barbarian. I am armed, and you have taken weapons up against me. Will you strike now? Or else I let fly!”

I said, “Your Majesty, you seem to know things, even what a person is thinking before he speaks. Are you a mind-reader? Is there someone among us who is not thinking like a human being?”

Mneseus said, “My daemon speaks to me. Why were you spared? I saw the Cold Hand pluck men up from your left and right. I saw the Pyramid pass over you. I saw the envenomed snow fall softly on the faces of the men. But not on your face. Always, always, men die to the side left of you, and to the right, and before you and behind, but you are spared. They do not smite you. Have you taken their coin?”

I said, “Ydmos said the traitor might be possessed without the traitor himself knowing it. Might it be me?”

Mneseus now swung to turn the bow toward me. I smelled ozone.

He said through clenched teeth. “A cold hand touches my neck. There is a ker among us, sleeping, perhaps, like a dragon coiled in the bottom of the belly. From time to time, it stirs, but it does not wake. It is near: perhaps it is in me. Or you! Do you understand me? You yourself, Pwyll, said it might be you, but unknown to you. So it might be of any of us. There is one solution. The door is open.”

“Door? What door?”

The muscles in his arm were trembling, but the arrowhead was steady, and he did not relax his draw. Mneseus hissed: "The door through which we were pulled to come from there to here. The door the fifty-headed hound must guard.”

Ydmos said softly, “He means the Capsule.”

The words did not mean much to me, but something in his tone made a shiver go up my spine.

I said, “With three mind-readers here, we cannot figure out which one of us is inhabited by this – this thing?”

Mneseus said sharply, “This is no riddle for us to puzzle over and solve! There is no solving of this, only ending! It lives in one of us. When we all slay ourselves, it dies, and whatever it had hoped or planned for us to do, whatever dark purpose moved this thing to break us from our deadly graves, that hope is dashed, that purpose is no more.”

The arrowhead was less than two yards from me. The bowstring creaked under the tension.

When Mneseus swung his arrow to cover me, I raised my rifle to my shoulder, but I did not point it away from my previous target. I did not want to shoot from the hip a weapon that had so much kick.

night_land_9__and_the_sky_is_filled_with_eyes_by_taisteng-d65cy52.jpg

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Meh, in the end it all depends on what kind of story someone wants to tell - I guess the Kingsway is low magic fantasy, no raising the dead, but enough magic and skills for some creative combat and some interesting areas. Probably Sword and Sorcery Style. The modern Hipster Settings are boring as Fuck.
I for one love exploration and advancement, so I guess I'd like a Setting like Princes of Amber or Dr. Who, where everything is possible, but it follows some rules. I also like starting as a nobody and really slowly advancing to god like powers (but with a party and turn based combat^^).

Exploration ? Princes of Amber, or some other Mulitverse Stuff.
Combat ? D&D 3.5, turnbased.
Story ? Probably the Witcher or TDE.
Choose two out of three I guess...

Serus

Arcane
Patron
All settings can be good if done well obviously.

But what I'm really missing is 70s-80s style pulpy sword and sorcery and scifi/sword and planet.
I have agreed with JarlFrank on this very subject several times in the past. So I might as well do it again, to remain consistent. There is a shortage of classic sword and sorcery and Howard-esque settings in the genre. Of curse my preferred type are low magic/low fantasy/historical ones but after that... yeah, JarlFrank is right.

Shin

Cipher
Every girl dreamed of going to Candy Land, and now it was Jade's turn.

Each year one lucky child, that believed in fairies, was chosen to come to Candy Land. This year it was Infinitron's turn to choose the girl. He thought
and thought. Then he finally decided to choose Jade. A kind, short girl, with long, wavy, black hair, the age of nine. Infinitron came to her house at nine
o'clock pm. He woke Jade up and took her to Candy Land. Jade had always dreamed of skating on the frozen ice cream river, swimming in the
chocolate lake and visiting the Candy Queen and Candy Cane Castle.

Infinitron sprinkled fairy dust on her so Jade could fly as well and they wizzed off to Chandy Land. The landed tight in front of Infinitron's house. In fairy land
time it was mid-day. Jade met all the fairies that liven in the gingerbread cottages. They were, Daisy, Feargus Urquhart, Crystal, Roqua, Sprinkle, Rise, Ella and
of course Infinitron. The first place Infinitron took Jade to was the chocolate lake. Jade scooped up some warm melted chocolate in her hand and tasted it.
It was so yummy. Next they visited the Candy Land Queen. She was very beautiful. She had curly, blonde hair, a blue fluffy gown and a shiny metal
wand. They had a banquet lunch with the queen and then went to go skating on the frozen ice cream river. They hired some skates and skated for
two hours. The next place they were going to was quite a far distant fly. It took them twenty minutes to fly over to the sugary snow lands, but once
they were there they made sugar angles, built sugar snowmen and played fun games.

Finally, it was time to head home. Infinitron flew with Jade back to her house.
"Thank you Infinitron", she spoke. "I'll never forget my trip to Candy Land.

zczdgeGai-970x545.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
True that, yet some fully 2D (gold box-like or blobber) game with classic D&D (or MtG) painting quality art would be ace, even in a plain forgotten realms settings.
I unironically love the child dream setting of Dream Maze (seems I can't find any screenshot of the last dungeon with the tellies). It does not even ever turns to nightmarish, which is a possiblity you can but don't have to use.
yum03.gif
yum06.gif

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The closer to a trope that your setting is the less work needs to be done to draw a player/reader into that world. It's easy to go into a high fantasy or cyberpunk setting. Pre-reconquista iberian penninsula is going to be somewhat harder. For me, there is definately too much reliance on hackneyed settings but I still enjoy the skill (and respect the artistry) in starting in a common setting and doing something interesting.

Black Angel

Arcane
Post-apocalypse steampunk fantasy in a countryside/explorationist context.
Arcanum where industrial revolution are not regulated to the point of nearly driven off elves into extinction :incline:

If only :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom