Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I watched a stream of this game today and it looks pretty fun. Can anyone tell me how's the exploration aspect cause that's the only part I wasn't able to evaluate - are there any optional areas/bosses, hidden artifacts and other stuff you can find by exploring?

Hmm, let's be honest- not great. The maps are basically big corridors and there's sparkly harvest points and chests tucked away off the beaten path, but it's not an explorefag game. I've searched around a lot and the reward is usually crafting ingredients, GP or healing items. There's 'mini-medals' around that clearly serve some higher purpose but not sure if that's something DQ veterans would know more about.

It's a horrible association I know, but the maps remind me of FFXIII. Narrow bit, open bit with sparkly stuff in little corners, narrow bit etc etc. Game is 10X better than FFXIII ofc. Combat is better, story is better, it's got so much more charm. It's like a JRPG distilled into its purest form. And then given silly UK regional accents, I love it.

I've never played a Dragon Quest game before. Is this different from/better than Final Fantasy? Is it worth buying? Does it contain loads of grinding for XP?

Reinhardt

Arcane
I love how Dragon Quest games manage to capture spirit of low level adventures. Even if you do some epic shit.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never played a Dragon Quest game before. Is this different from/better than Final Fantasy? Is it worth buying? Does it contain loads of grinding for XP?

FF is made for casuals and brainlets.
Yes it is worth buying.
If you want to? I guess? A lot of casual brainlets have criticized DQ for being too "grindy" but it's not grindy at all if you actually use spells/buffs/debuffs correctly.

Mojobeard

Augur
I wasn't sure what to make of Sylvando from the trailers, gay video game characters are usually irritating in one way or another, but I love this fabulous smug asshole now. The caricature manages to become endearing somehow.
WagC1hD.png

Just look at that fucking face.

I'm having way too much fun barging into houses and smashing pumpkins. :lol:
Highly related

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Try out one of the SNES games. They haven't changed all that much. DQ is very traditional.

The games are grindy but the battles are pretty quick and fun. Leveling up your team is part of the charm, watching hard monsters turn into easy monsters. Feels less like you are being lead through a series of carefully curated cutscenes and more like you are conquering a dangerous land.

polo

Magister
So, in my hard enemies run game already crashed twice in less than 1.30h. Damn, didn't have a crash the first time.

Fred

Learned
-Even though I knew the movement in battle didn't do anything, I still can't believe moving in battle doesn't do anything. It's really strange. I just don't see why they would put that in if it's pointless.

-World exploration has been more lame. Maps are smaller and feel more constricted than in the past. DQ8 was probably too vast for it's own good but it's a little sad that after 10 years and multiple consoles the world has shrunk.

So far so Dragon Quest.
The maps will get bigger, but I remember at first when I played it I feared the same think seeing the first few maps.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Is there a combat speed modifier, or a skip animation button/setting at the least?

I'm a fan of DQ, but only after emulators happened and I can skip animations on some of the games.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Is there a combat speed modifier, or a skip animation button/setting at the least?

I'm a fan of DQ, but only after emulators happened and I can skip animations on some of the games.

3DS DQ8 has a faster combat mode that you can turn on.

Vorark

Erudite
Despite XI being better about it than the original DQ VIII (boy, did it drag) or IX, they could have implemented an optional 1st person view mode during combat. Turn based needs to be fast.

Jinn

Arcane
I really hope the possibility one day comes where I can replay this with the 16-bit graphics on PC. Not only would it give me a great reason to replay it someday, but I just love how it looks. Not at all to imply I'm not happy with the aesthetics of the 3rd version. The game is absolutely gorgeous.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really hope the possibility one day comes where I can replay this with the 16-bit graphics on PC. Not only would it give me a great reason to replay it someday, but I just love how it looks. Not at all to imply I'm not happy with the aesthetics of the 3rd version. The game is absolutely gorgeous.
maybe someday they will translate the 3ds version and you csn emulate it using citra
:fabulously_optimistic:

Jinn

Arcane
If they aren't going to bring the DS version over, they would be smart to sell the 16-bit version as a DLC for this for $5-$10.

I know it would probably never happen, but it seems like easy money to me.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I have strong urge to stop playing right now and wait for long cold and dark winter evenings...
But i don't have enough willpower.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
japanese companies HATE obviously good ideas.

$5-10 is a pittance.. they will put it in the switch version as well as the 3ds bonus dungeons in order to entice people to buy it again.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they re-release the ps4 version in Japan with all the changes made to the western release as an "international version"

they know what they are doing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I urge all of you to go into menu and choose classic mode for combat. So much better.

Fred

Learned
Works really well on my ancestral computer (i5 2500K and radeon 7850, basically a cheap rig built in 2013 for 600€).
I had no sound at first and had to put my windows in stereo instead of 5.1. Also my graphic card fan is running at full speed for some reason.
But it's nice to understand what's happening, let's go for another 100+ hours playthrough :O

Jinn

Arcane
Holy fuck, The Slayer of the Sands is tearing me up. I've fought it 4 seperate times now, first two times with Hero and Erik at level 14 and the twins at 13, and two times with everyone a level higher. I could feel the difference that level-up made, but it wasn't enough. Can't emphasize how much I appreciate the progression and difficulty in this game so far. I figured Stronger Monsters would add a fair amount of challenge, but it seems to have tuned the game right where I would like it to be.

I actually kind of feel bad for the Japanese because they missed out on this mode.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Never feel bad for the japanese. Hashtag rape of nanking!!!!11

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom