Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

deuxhero

Arcane
POS killed Black Isle and led to the IP being sold to Bethesda in the first place. I don't care what they've done with the IP since then, cancelling the original Fallout 3 in favor of that abortion was the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise.

Interplay committed suicide by heavily going into console game development that didnt pay off, even if the problems come from before Titus and Herve ... Herve was the one that killed it by making even worst decisions that Fargo did before. Brotherhood of Steel was a attempt at switching to console games, just like Dark Alliance was a more successful attempt at doing the same with Baldur's Gate and you cannot blame one game that was just a reflection of Interplay changing from a PC developer/publisher to a console developer/publisher.

Also Van Buren was not cancelled in favor of Brotherhood of Steel, as Brotherhood of Steel was released in January 2004 and Van Buren was cancelled in Decemeber 2003, it was cancelled because Black Isle was shut down and the staff laid off, also Van Buren was the second attempt with the first one being stopped so they could work on ... Icewind Dale. (Funny enough it was meant to use what became Gamebryo)

At least Dark Alliance has the excuse that it was legitimately set in the Forgotten Realms city of Baldur's Gate and hardly breaks Realms lore (as far as I know) beyond game mechanics. If they called it Forgotten Realms: Dark Alliance it prob would have sold roughly as well. Also it was Snowblind+Vivendi that did the first one. Wasn't there one bit with PoS where they tried to make Tandi sexy forgotting she's ancient when the game takes place?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There are first rumours this is going f2p

TLOcj80.jpg

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are first rumours this is going f2p

TLOcj80.jpg
what does f2p mean with this game?
was it ever subscription based?
You don't have to then buy the game to play it. It's free to download and play and get harassed to spend atoms to buy that sweet power armour so everyone can see it and think you're cool and gamer girls will want to have sex with you

Reapa

Doom Preacher
yeah, no, that won't ever happen. they are still selling TESO and even the expansions and even try to make you subscribe for a premium membership...

Dexter

Arcane
If anyone was stupid enough to buy this, here's apparently a way to legally mess with Bethpizda a bit and at least cost them a bunch of money:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't make a non-subscription based game like this free to play. That's retarded. The point of free to play MMOs is to fill the servers with a lower tier of player to provide social interaction for the people who actually pay for the game - the people still paying their subscriptions, and the ones more likely to spend money on cosmetic shit. The free players are effectively content, but someone still has to pay for the game. New content is vital to keep people coming back and spending more money in this model.

Fallout 76 isn't based on the traditional MMO model. There isn't supposed to be a huge amount of player interaction, with only a handful of players per server in the first place. And the majority of profit is being obtained upfront from most customers with the purchase of the game - the average person isn't going to lay down another $60 in the atom shop. So giving the game away for free would basically eliminate the chance of recouping any kind of cost off people buying the game on sale out of morbid curiosity in the hopes that more people will try it and be addicted enough to buy atoms. I can't foresee that working out.

But Fallout 76 was never supposed to be a MMO, it was supposed to be a “survival” game like Ark: Survival Evolved, or Rust, those kinds of games. Maybe you don’t know them? It’s not an MMO as far as there are no quests, NPCs and not that many players, but you still level up, level up mostly for crafting where you start out as a cavemen constructing primitive tools, campfires, spears and buildings made out of thatch/wood, progressing through taming some pterrodax through medieval age to smithing gunpowder and weapons, to crafting assault rifles, futuristic rail guns and taming T-Rexes.

I played the first one on my iPhone but I don’t have time for that kind of no-life’ing. It’s as demanding as Vanilla WoW if you’d lose your items upon dying with 24/7 pvp, where upon logging out your character is still in the world, just sleeping. The difficulty and commitment is brutal, even if you play carefully, build a nice base and hide, there’s no telling that at night someone won’t raid you, steal everything and enslave you (that’s what we were doing to newbs. They basically had to eat their own shit in order to die, to respawn and be free :lol:)

Except, as retarded as that sounds, all the sense of achievement comes from basic premises of those games, that:

1) you have to grind hard and struggle with constant paranoia, to not lose your items/recover them upon dying (or kill others for their loot, but expect revenge at some point), and

2) seeing the sense of progress as you slowly level, make your way through the technological tree, expand your base to be like a city, get flying mounts etc (you still have to log in at least every 7 days to check on them, but unless players raid you, you’re fine)

3) related to 2, rewarding creativity in building, as you can build basically whatever you want with the basic “blocks” - castles, towns, slave pens, whatever. Actually that’s even what Fallout 4 achieved to some degree, with your settlement, however here you have way more things to do with the structures - paint them, set traps, build them on a raft so you can even create a mobile base/battleship/carrier if you’re creative enough. Still, even though they had this in Fallout 4, they decided to undermine it - all your base gets deleted just upon logging out (even just getting disconnected!)

Seeing as Bethesda can’t have a challenging game, which in itself is antethical to the very premise of this kind of game, and what’s more: upon dying you lose like 5 caps or junk items, there is no technological progression as 90% of Bethesda’s fallout is Power Armor and makeshift pipe firearms, pvp is broken and unrewarding, and you basically cannot leave any footprint on your server, I have no clue what they were thinking.

EDIT: There was actually a Multiplayer mod for Fallout 1/2 which did exactly what I described, except building of course, but I forgot the name. It was amazing, much better than this dud, but again I had no time for such a thing. Was super fun with friends though, you could also Steal from other people.

EDIT 2: it was FOnline and it was glorious:

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
But Fallout 76 was never supposed to be a MMO, it was supposed to be a “survival” game like Ark: Survival Evolved, or Rust, those kinds of games.

They need to make a "hardcore" mode, increase the difficulty to where it was at on survival mode in F4, remove the 'slap' damage PvP bullshit, perma death for characters (or at least lose all your items, maybe XP.) They have tried to make a game thats casual friendly so its just a watered down Rust/Ark, with zero challenge and no goals beyond endlessly grinding levels.

The funny thing is people are already complaining about the 'end game', or the fact there is no end game other than grinding for Legendaries. Its as if Beth had no concept of how gamers approach a MMO. They speed level and grind like retards to get to end game because they have been conditioned after years of playing this stuff that the 'real' game only starts at max level.

So this should have either been designed as a proper survival game, ie progress is short and brutal, or just make an actual MMORPG.

EDIT 2: it was FOnline and it was glorious:

Ah yes, the "daily life of a Slav" simulator, glorious indeed.

Black

Arcane

I would definitely agree with the central thesis of your argument, that bethesda has never cared for the central tenants of what a fallout rpg was suppose to be. But for most people fallout 76 is the first time this has actually become apparent, whereas for older fans it was fallout 4. But I still believe that including the shell of narrative, is better then having none at all.

Classic, classic.

Friday.13

Educated
Noah's video is alright if you are bored and in the mood for hear someone spend a hour or two to talking about a certain subject, he generally talking about game with a mostly positive viewpoint(which is opposite of the codex unless it's about PST) and don't talk much about technical issues, but othereise it can still be entertaining.

Noah's video is alright if you are bored and in the mood for hear someone spend a hour or two to talking about a certain subject, he generally talking about game with a mostly positive viewpoint(which is opposite of the codex unless it's about PST) and don't talk much about technical issues, but othereise it can still be entertaining.
My deep dark secret is I actually enjoy his videos even when I think he's shoving his head up his own ass. I often don't agree with him, but he usually looks at things in a different way than I do and has decent enough arguments for what he presents that I like watching him more than the vast majority of people who make videos about videogames since seeing an alternative perspective is more interesting than memes. Don't tell the Codex though.

Gerrard

Arcane

I would definitely agree with the central thesis of your argument, that bethesda has never cared for the central tenants of what a fallout rpg was suppose to be. But for most people fallout 76 is the first time this has actually become apparent, whereas for older fans it was fallout 4. But I still believe that including the shell of narrative, is better then having none at all.

Classic, classic.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Fallout 3 wasn't "bad-bad". It rehashes all the plot points of F1 and F2 without any soul, sure, it was pissy-green all around, sure. They started butchering the lore, sure. But it was still a playable decent RPG. It wasn't Fallout "Eeverybody wins!" 4.
This is the point we've reached.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But for most people fallout 76 is the first time this has actually become apparent, whereas for older fans it was fallout 4.

Classic, classic.
So what, do those "older fans" think Fallout 3 was the Citizen Kane of Fallout storytelling now, or were they just not old enough yet to operate an Xbawx back then?

"Oy grandpa, how was this FO3 you were playing in your youth, and why wasn't it called FO1 anyway?"

Stuff like that makes me feel older than Crispy. Sad. :|

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It wasn't Fallout "Eeverybody wins!" 4.
That's how it is called these days? Interesting definition there kiddo. In my playthrough the Institute was a glowing puddle of melted sadness, the Bro-hood were a nice dumpster fire warming cold evenings at the airport, the retardo ecowarriors had painted the church floor in a nice shade of red and the people of Covenant practiced suicide attacks on my soopah sledge. Because they were in telepatic contact with a base far away or smth.
The only thing I won was a lifetime's supply of "another settlement needs your help!"...

But okay. BRB, updating my txt with alternative facts. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom