Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for spoiling it, 2house2fly.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I leaked the pet sacrifice mechanic a few months back. You can sacrifice pets, and create custom pets using their bonuses.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

omg! Omg! OMG!!

IT comes out tomorrow! :o :eek: This world just keeps giving with its layers and that looks like a super fun dungeon too perfect fo r a glass of wine night exploring. Okay lately it has just been finsihing a quest here or sailing to a new location to explore it not the long hours like in the first game but that was being played after Christmas time so things were not as busy as they are now around the house and preparing for family and friends but now with another addition to the world I am going to try and find a night to play lots and get finding all these places. :hug: I am still sailing with the crew from when I found them in the city and have not found any new content from the first expansion it is a lot more fun to go out and sail or read the books and follow directions to places to explore. Just hope there is a third game even if this concludes the story maybe a whole new character and story in a different part of the world because it has lots of lore to fall back on now so why not right?

Thanks,
Sherry

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Hi.

omg! Omg! OMG!!

IT comes out tomorrow! :o :eek: This world just keeps giving with its layers and that looks like a super fun dungeon too perfect fo r a glass of wine night exploring. Okay lately it has just been finsihing a quest here or sailing to a new location to explore it not the long hours like in the first game but that was being played after Christmas time so things were not as busy as they are now around the house and preparing for family and friends but now with another addition to the world I am going to try and find a night to play lots and get finding all these places. :hug: I am still sailing with the crew from when I found them in the city and have not found any new content from the first expansion it is a lot more fun to go out and sail or read the books and follow directions to places to explore. Just hope there is a third game even if this concludes the story maybe a whole new character and story in a different part of the world because it has lots of lore to fall back on now so why not right?

Thanks,
Sherry
I know your real name...randal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Literally just finished my Bleak Walker PoE1 playthrough. The end battle with Thaos was the hardest fight in the game with this party, lol. Literally the only fight I had to reload besides the Adra Dragon. Cleansing Flame is a bitch and his enormous defenses didn't help, but he fell in the end. Made Aloth Grand Inquisitor, which I hope has at least something of note in DF. Ready for the Forgotten Sanctum and a proper playthrough, so it better not be shit, Obsidian.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Decided to pop into badgame to see what memes they were making about The Outer Worlds and came across this bit of info.

Sawyer said:
naval battles were included in deadfire at the insistence of feargus.
i didn't want to do it so i did it really half assed to show my JERK boss what a STUPID idea it was
Sawyer said:
i didn't design the initial system and had cut it around the time of the fig campaign because i thought it was going to be unappealing to a lot of our players even with a lot of work. feargus brought it back as a stretch goal feature. another designer redesigned it, it still had problems, and i took it over for the rest of development. there was not time to implement a fundamentally different system, which is why i cut the feature to begin with.
Sawyer said:
no one should feel bad for complaining about it. if you don't like it, you don't like it.

i'm sure there are other things that we could have done with ship to ship combat if we had addressed it earlier in the project or had more resources dedicated to it, but it was a very large system that no one really had time for, including me. it was cut/brought back at a difficult stage of its implementation, because all of the building blocks for the system were there. designing and implementing a fundamentally different system almost certainly would have produced a better experience, but no one really had time to conceive a new system, design new interfaces, create the interfaces based on the new spec, etc.

i feel bad that people didn't enjoy it and it wasn't my intention to aggravate people or design the system in a spiteful way. my choices, as i saw them, were to design a completely new system that i didn't believe we had resources for, or to continue iterating on the existing system knowing that it would be a big turn off for a non-trivial number of players. i didn't really have time to oversee either, unfortunately.

No time, huh. Remember when Brandon and Chris said Josh shouldn't write because it was a distraction from his other tasks, maybe they were on to something there.

2house2fly

Magister
Sawyer shouldn't have been creative lead on the game because it was somehow foreseeable right at the start of development that someone else would fuck up designing a feature over a year later

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why the fuck would you torture yourself replaying the first game when it's worse at literally everything except for maybe the soundtrack.

Fairfax

Arcane
Feargus was right for once. It's the sort of thing that many people would expect, and it could've been a cool feature if done right. Sawyer wants to shift the blame (as usual), but his "lack of time" was self-inflicted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom