Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I'm looking for a fighting game, has a lot of singleplayer content preferably, which one should I choose? I already own Tekken 7, not really into NRS games, loved Guilty Gear back when I was in high school but there are so many damn versions on Steam I can't figure out which one to buy. Soulcalibur VI looks pretty sweet, Killer Instict is dirt cheap, never been a fan of King of Fighters so KoF 14 is probably a pass for me.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buy it while it's hot!

V2 is out, just in time for Grimoire to be GOTY for the second year in a row.

The manual will be here shortly:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 2 hours ago

The manual is just being formatted correctly, will release very shortly. Had some problems when converting it to .PDF that the graphics were messed up for printing. Want to make it suitable for A4 output, not just for the players but also for the IndieGoGo donations when I print off their manuals.

:ibelieveincleve:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Help! I think I'm gonna end up getting this (Complete edition):

I mean... for $5 it's not terrible but the game itself feels like it's half-finished. Amateur-level production value. It plays like single player World of Warcraft (and apes most of the zones/art design of it, too). I only played one of the DLC and it was as forgettable as the base game.

Even on max difficulty it's far too easy. Skip the complete edition, it's not worth it.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
bought nioh

completely surprisingly, it's a shitty japanese port. Why can't japs properly port games to PC? Why does every single game they port to PC completely suck?
Probably because they'd been programming games primarily for consoles for years and didn't give a crap about pc until recently. The most part of their audience is playing on consoles anyway I guess, and it'd be wasteful to spend so much money and time and effort to make a perfect pc port only for moderate gains. On the other hand, they're not going to get many more pc gamers playing their games on pc consistently releasing shitty ports like that one. It's either lack of actual skill to produce a quality port or pc being the low priority platform for them, probably both.

Last edited:
I'll be goddamned. I was tearing through my discovery queue to soak up my welfare Steam cards and actually bumped into something I'd never heard of before and might be cool.

Adon

Arcane
So I'm looking for a fighting game, has a lot of singleplayer content preferably, which one should I choose? I already own Tekken 7, not really into NRS games, loved Guilty Gear back when I was in high school but there are so many damn versions on Steam I can't figure out which one to buy. Soulcalibur VI looks pretty sweet, Killer Instict is dirt cheap, never been a fan of King of Fighters so KoF 14 is probably a pass for me.

Your safest bet would be to to get Soul Calibur VI as far as single-player content goes. There are two separate story modes: One for your own created character that has you trotting around the world, and meeting characters, and a bit of C&C; while the other follows the story of the main cast individually (as well as a "main" story so to speak), and diligently maps out the timeline of when X character was doing what. The only issue with the former is that some of the RNG and mechanics don't seem properly balanced on higher levels, and it can be hard to get a weapon with your character's current level. Other than that, you'll probably spend a decent chunk of time in Create-A-Soul mode.

The next best thing would be the NRS games, but you already said you don't like those.

If you're thinking about GG then the latest version is Revelator 2, and that's essentially what you'll want to go get. It has a story mode (It is literally just a movie tho, you never play any fights in it) as well as various character specific challenges/trials, and general ones involving the different mechanics in the game. Do let me pre-face this by saying that if you want to experience the entirety of the story, you'll also have to get Sign (Or you can just YT it). The story in that game is different, and Revelator picks up where Sign ends. If it helps, this is the most technical fighting game next to KoFXIV (which is already a step down in some ways from XIII) of the ones you've mentioned. So regardless, it's a good time.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z is fun, and has a 3 pretty lengthy campaigns, but you'll have to really like the gameplay. Other than that, it has your typical arcade mode, and the character trials.

I feel like I should mention that Street Fighter V has a gotten a decent amount of content over the years. A story mode, dozens of character trials, a survival mode (that isn't completely terrible anymore), and a pretty big roster. But, obviously, this is contingent on your enjoyment of the mechanics. As a big SF fan, I was hugely disappointed with the game, but this is also coming from somebody that had to put up with so much shit before it finally got to where it is. It does have its fanbase tho, so you might like it.

Can't speak on KI as I don't own it.

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Some curious indie games I'd like to check out don't go below 25-30% off the base price, which sucks. Will have to wait till the next year sale to buy them. 2011 christmas sale was maybe the best btw

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Doing my queue and I get recommended Chinese Parents, a Chinese only child rearing sim (I guess from the screenshots).

WTF Valve? I've been recommended games with terrible ratings because they're popular, but this is a new low since it actually says it's not relevant to me in the sidebar about why I was recommended it. Not being in the user's language should be a hard no for the system.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Steam was always an inconvenient solution for people who care to actually own their games, but one thing that was its saving grace were sales and for me also the early access thing. Nowadays sales are mediocre at best, there's an influx of countless trashy games which clutter the whole thing, categories and tags make no sense, which all make Steam one giant piece of trash too.

GOG at least provides standalone installers.

ortucis

Prophet
RPGs aside (everyone already owns anything worthwhile on steam) here's a list of my personal favorites (reasonably priced too):

Two of my favorite CoG CYOAs, quite lengthy, well written, with a bunch of very good C&C.

I like the text games with "multiple choices", which tell you their whole linear story in the description itself.

So I went to go sell that crap they're giving away and some cards but apparently you have to have made a purchase within the last year to be able to sell stuff on the market. Never mind I've had a Steam account for almost ten years and bought tons of stuff prior to their sales going into the gutter. Last thing I bought was November 2017. So if I want to sell cards I have to buy something at Gabe's shitty discounts!

So, I've never bothered looking at cards or badges. Just saw a YouTube video on them, apparently you can sell them to get wallet cash. I FINALLY get the shitty Russian games designed for cards. :lol:

Good. That actually is a nice incentive for me to start playing the backlog and use the card money to buy some new games. As for Steam sale, have few games marked on wishlist, all Indie titles. I don't buy AAA titles on Steam anymore. Shadow of War was the last piece of shit I bought on sale, regret it even now.

Gotta buy Dragon's Dogma though, and this:

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Gotta buy Dragon's Dogma though, and this:

Pretty good time to grab Mechanicus, as it sounds like the developers are getting close to releasing a proper hard mode for it.

I want to but I'll probably wait for a higher discount, even for Dragon's Dogma (75% but it's an overpriced game). I have a backlog + my budget right now is for heavily discounted Indie titles on Wishlist, like StarCrawlers. These days I just keep adding games to wishlist and wait for 50% or more discounts, depending upon the price.

Without heavy discounts, I ain't touching them anymore, since Steam has increased pricing in my country as well (GST+).

ortucis

Prophet
I just put like 100 cards on sale on Steam. :positive:

Also, overpriced many of them. Most likely won't sell any, but if people are willing to pay real money for those pointless badges completion, then great. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom