Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're a smart guy, Safav. I feel like it would be redundant to point out that we're effectively talking about lifetime sales here, and Deadfire has been out for 8 months while Kingmaker has only been out for 3. Your thoughts?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The first two weeks is when the majority of sales happen, followed by the winter sale.

Kingmaker didn't even make the top 100 at all. It was outsold by fucking Soulcalibur V in October.

2house2fly

Magister
Kingmaker is sold at a lower price, meaning it can sell more copies but make less revenue. It's also made by a smaller team in an area of the world where money goes further- it's actually impressive that Deadfire has so much content in it given how little money it had, relatively speaking, by being made in such an expensive part of the world.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's not uncommon for sequels to get less user reviews than new IPs.

Kingmaker also had more divisive critic scores, which sparked more fanboys to leave reviews defending the game. Deadfire was loved by critics, so its fans were less motivated to leave reviews.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Deadfire has literally released 3 (pricey) units of DLC and has been out for twice the time

It is unsurprising it is ahead on revenue, it also cost probably three times as much to make because Americans get paid more than Russians

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
This was a good year for Obsidian.

Deadfire released to universal critical acclaim, was the best selling CRPG all year, received GOTY awards from the two most prestigious PC gaming magazines, and The Outer Worlds trailer has over 7 million views on youtube.

Barbalos

Savant
I guess the mainstream is always right then. I better stop playing CRPGs and spend my money on Fortnite cosmetics since it must be better cause it made more money.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Over 80% of a game's sales occur within the first two weeks after release. The next largest window is the winter and then autumn sale, and Kingmaker participated in both.

Kingmaker selling at a lower price should have helped it sell more than Deadfire. $40 is a more accessible pricepoint for an isometric CRPG.

jungl

Augur
both games are dissapointment. Kingmaker you cant even beat it with all the bugs yet the fuckers sell dlc. Pillars the content is pretty lackluster and you can tell its rushed with the dlc bullshit they doing.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Oh no you guys don't.

The codex had a narrative that Kingmaker outsold Deadfire literally a week after release, met with dozens of brofists. Don't patronize me for setting the record straight.

Okagron

Prophet
Reviews have to do with quality
Keep believing that, someday it will be true. Or it will never happen because this is a load of bullshit.

It's not like we live in a world where some Bethestards claim the first two Fallout games are terrible solely because of the gameplay. Oh wait, we do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom