Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Generic-Giant-Spider

In all fairness, the gore in this game so far looks extremely well done. There are some design oversights though as AgentOrange mentioned, the one that stood out to me was being unable to shoot through glass. The thing that's weird is how the game makes you think you can by having a zombie intentionally bang against it but then you go to do it and there's zero collision or impact. Why not disguise this flaw by simply having the zombies immediately burst through and not tease the player?

If I had to guess, RE2 Remake may be a great first playthrough because it seems it's going to have a lot of "haunted house horror ride" moments but if it holds up for repeated playthroughs is going to be the real question. It still looks like the best thing to come out for RE since 2002.

Edit: Also, where the fuck is the soundtrack in this game? During the demo I barely heard anything.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm pretty convinced that the reason because the zombies can't get into the main hall is because Marvin is still alive. Maybe is because the main hall works now as a safe room too. Still, I do think it will get dangerous later in the game, specially with Lickers. Just like it does in the original game in the upper parts of the main hall.

That part where the zombies are trying to get into the main hall looks like a complete joke, and this was avoided entirely in the original games through the door loading screens. Each room could be segregated into its own unit, which was immediately understood by the player, so the designers never had to worry about inconsistencies like this and could focus entirely on the ambiance of the individual room. You could have a save room that felt like a safe haven and offers a brief moment of contrasting respite from the terror of the rest of the mansion, simultaneously offering a feeling of dread on the realization that you have to go back out into the horror again, without having to care about the internal consistency of why zombies can't get in there.

They did aware about inconsistencies like that since the first game. That's the reason because they made fellas like this capable of breaking doors in the REmake. Or did things like this in the RE2 itself. Every person who played the classic RE games understood that the enemies didn't go through doors because they were playing videogames and they were limited. And even so, the developers were witty enough to catch people off-guard a lot of times, breaking their own rules. This has nothing to do with the type of camera by the way. The same goes for that ladder invulnerability. The reason it is like this is because they were very lazy or because they oversaught that possibility. And shit things like that could happen perfectly in a game with fixed cameras.

sullynathan

Arcane
The main hall likely won't allow zombies in because it is a save room( you know like in the previous games), but on the other hand, the previous demos they showed off had mr. x in the main hall.

so it could be mr. x is the only exception, or the full game would also allow regular zombies to enter in.

But apparently it is a joke that zombies can't enter a save room but they couldn't enter rooms in REmake outside of the scripted doors that the game allowed them to bust down and not the rest of the doors in the games that couldn't be busted down. Sure, that's not gamey at all.

You are missing the point. And this being a "re-imagining" is precisely what some fans didn't want.
that's not his point.

RE4 was the first Resident Evil game to implement an over the shoulder perspective. It's perfectly sensible to compare both games within the framework of those basic design features (breaking glass, reactions to being shot, adaptive movement) that are universally relevant, regardless of genre differences. These are tangible objective things you can pick out individually and say 'that was done better in X game.'
zombies react to being shot better than RE4, RE4 is a game designed in rather large areas in comparison to RE2. If breaking glass is the hill you're willing to die on, then so be it, but it just seems like retarded codex complaining that doesn't impact gameplay in a tangible way outside of "muh immersion" especially using a video where the creator came out with a positive impression from a demo that you didn't play (for whatever reason).

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
That part where the zombies are trying to get into the main hall looks like a complete joke, and this was avoided entirely in the original games through the door loading screens. Each room could be segregated into its own unit, which was immediately understood by the player, so the designers never had to worry about inconsistencies like this and could focus entirely on the ambiance of the individual room. You could have a save room that felt like a safe haven and offers a brief moment of contrasting respite from the terror of the rest of the mansion, simultaneously offering a feeling of dread on the realization that you have to go back out into the horror again, without having to care about the internal consistency of why zombies can't get in there.

They did aware about inconsistencies like that since the first game. That's the reason because they made fellas like this capable of breaking doors in the REmake. Or did things like this in the RE2 itself. Every person who played the classic RE games understood that the enemies didn't go through doors because they were playing videogames and they were limited. And even so, the developers were witty enough to catch people off-guard a lot of times, breaking their own rules. This has nothing to do with the type of camera by the way. The same goes for that ladder invulnerability. The reason it is like this is because they were very lazy or because they oversaught that possibility. And shit things like that could happen perfectly in a game with fixed cameras.
How does any what you said go against my points? The reason things like the hunter breaking the door down in the return to the mansion in RE1 or the RE2 zombie door scare work is precisely because up to that point doors represented a safety barrier to the player, which then allowed for the opportunity to turn that expectation on its head to build a well crafted scare.

On the other hand in this RE2 Remake video apparently zombies are able to go in and out of every other room but are arbitrarily kept out of the entrance hall by an invisible wall--exactly what is carefully crafted or scary about this? My point with the camera and the general "freedom" of the game is that in constructing the expectation that every area in the game is openly connected, without the instancing of the loading doors, you create the expectation that zombies should be able to go anywhere at any time, so when you throw up an invisible wall like this it stands out as absurd. Same with situations like the ladder; if you are able to be attacked during a QTE then why not during the ladder movement? Which was avoided in the original because save for a few staircase areas movement between zones was confined in loading screens where you knew you couldn't be attacked, there was no room for confusion.

If the game is a total mess of inconsistencies like this then you can't even successfully set up expectations in order to break those expectations for great effect like they did in the original games.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Played the demo. Didn't like it. Had little soul and design intelligence like 99% of modern games. How the fuck it manages this when it is a remake based on a game with some soul and design intelligence, well only a modern dev could fuck it up.

Nonetheless, it wasn't bad per se, just lacking that old school heart and monocle. I will admit I was a little on edge in the east wing at the start, but ultimately based on the demo this game has little to offer me.

To be more specific about what I didn't like:

-Prompts, merged tutorials and all that other modern game industry handholding shit. The original had little to none of this breaking immersion and simplifying exploration, and I beat it as a kid. Yes you can turn it off, but the problem is most people aren't going to do that as they lack the insight as to why they're often no good in the first place.
-Everything is shiny chrome Unreal Engine style, including Police officer uniforms.
-Little details in scripted cinematic scenes that piss me off as in most modern games. Why are modern game devs so dumb? When somebody gets their lower body ripped off, they don't immediately close their eyes and die. They will last for quite a while suffering, as they bleed out in shock.
-OK so we've made the game 3rd person. No more fixed camera angles. This allows for tighter control and potentially better combat, though you lose the highly restrictive tension present with fixed cams, as well as beautiful hand drawn pre-rendered graphics. Personally I think the original game from 1998 is more vsually appealing and charming. But I digress: they've made the game third person, which gives you more control, but they've done very little to counter this in regards to AI, encounters and resources, resulting in easy combat. To boot they've even given you knife counter attacks from REshitMake (cool mechanic that should exist, but currently is just making things even more easier).
-Soundtrack? Lol what's that? We can't have beautifully haunting old school composition in our modern game! That would mean a AAA game from the past decade with good music that deepens the experience actually exists, we can't have that.
-GUI. It's the same uninspired shit in RE7. This better be placeholder.
-Static environments. And what about all the lore and character development that was attained through interacting with the environments (text descriptions when interacting with mostly anything: corpses, items, debris etc)? There's little new that even substitutes this feature's absence.

Fuck this soulless shit. Again I retreat to playing old school games. I'll likely replay Parasite Eve 2, which if you haven't played it it is basically Resident Evil (possibly better) and more worthy than any of this NuRE garbage. You'd do well to ignore this junk and emulate PE2. Too many people haven't played it.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
REshitMake

3a7.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Long-term memory loss? Because in my many detailed analyses and design criticism I one time forgot a minor detail from a game I hadn't played in over decade? Sure, OK, we'll go with that. Still better than the permanent retardation you're afflicted with.

other then 'muh soul' and 'reshitmake' he is right you know

As was my criticism of REmake. I pointed out factual observations, and emphasised that the things I don't like about REmake are mostly subjective (art direction and soundtrack changes). But SullyNathan here forgets or doesn't comprehend that detail I see.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How the fuck it manages this when it is a remake based on a game with some soul and design intelligence,

To be fair, Resident Evil 2 does feature a police station that resembles Dracula's castle and has a sewer system that secretly and conveniently leads to an Umbrella lab.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I agree with Ash in that I prefer the original, particularly because of the art direction and soundtrack too, but feel like ReMake overall was as stellar of a remake as you could get, and it's a terrific game in its own right.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tbh my only experience with RE is 5 i played coop with my school bud and once with my brother back then.

I saw the 2makes as a glorious incline compared to 5.

Ash

Arcane
I agree with Ash in that I prefer the original, particularly because of the art direction and soundtrack too, but feel like ReMake overall was as stellar of a remake as you could get, and it's a terrific game in its own right.

As far as remakes go, it's certainly commendable. I mainly just have an attachment to the original and I was clear about that, though a highly monochrome, decay-themed art style is still arguably a questionable choice on the developer's part.

RE2 remake is different. Based on this demo it's just your typical modern cash-in soulless junk headed by clueless designers and greedy suits.

sullynathan

Arcane
As was my criticism of REmake. I pointed out factual observations, and emphasised that the things I don't like about REmake are mostly subjective (art direction and soundtrack changes). But SullyNathan here forgets or doesn't comprehend that detail I see.
I remember, it was just overall worthless like many people's subjective opinons are when they usually don't affect the game at hand.

Generic-Giant-Spider

We need another moment to appreciate the pure incline that the Director's Cut of RE1 was in terms of soundtrack. I heard Black Isle wanted to get this guy to do IWD's soundtrack but he was in high demand so they had to settle for Jeremy Soule.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Already by bringing the camera in closer with the over the shoulder perspective they've given the player unimpeded awareness of their surroundings, unlike the fixed camera which allowed the designer to have careful control over what the player could be aware of.

High level stuff right there

Ash

Arcane
I remember, it was just overall worthless like many people's subjective opinons are when they usually don't affect the game at hand.

That's fair. I guess I trigger you a little by calling Remake shit. It's not shit by any stretch, they just by my standards butchered components that are dear to me. The soundtrack especially (not that directors cut garbo).

sullynathan

Arcane

That's fair. I guess I trigger you a little by calling Remake shit. It's not shit by any stretch, they just by my standards butchered components that are dear to me. The soundtrack especially (not that directors cut garbo).
I'm not triggered, codex ratings are codex ratings

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom