Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
As someone that enjoyed Deadfire even in vanilla, I hope they don't lose sight of everything that made it a massive improvement over the first game.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
I hope they learn not to do other world ending or altering events. For PoE3 for example if there will ever be one, how are they going to advance things? Are they going to go where they have a cannon ending or just go with down scaling the events of PoE2 to flavor text or something like in Bioware games.

Also please no direct contact with gods.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope they learn not to do other world ending or altering events. For PoE3 for example if there will ever be one, how are they going to advance things? Are they going to go where they have a cannon ending or just go with down scaling the events of PoE2 to flavor text or something like in Bioware games.

Also please no direct contact with gods.
Everything leads to the same outcome in Deadfire, so who cares about any of the small details.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Another visit to Poland: http://digitaldragons.pl/programme/speakers/josh-sawyer/

Josh Sawyer
Obsidian Entertainment

Breaking the Mold: RPG Evolution and Paradigm Shifts in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Speech Description

This post-mortem of Deadfire will examine the assumptions the team made between the first game and the sequel, how expectations changed through the public beta, and what lessons they learned after the game was released. The talk will focus on narrative design, combat design, the ship combat system, and the decision to fully voice all dialogue. The end of the post-mortem will deal with post-launch support, including patches, features, and other DLC content.

15:00-15:45, May 27th.

Oh damm, I live in Kraków. I will try to go next year. Anyway I will invite him for a beer

GloomFrost

Arcane
Please tell me there is not going to be Pellagina and Serafen in POE 3. One is the most boring companion ever another one is the most annoying (smelly cat dwarf pirate who hates slavery but loves dick).

Delterius

Arcane
Another visit to Poland: http://digitaldragons.pl/programme/speakers/josh-sawyer/

Josh Sawyer
Obsidian Entertainment

Breaking the Mold: RPG Evolution and Paradigm Shifts in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Speech Description

This post-mortem of Deadfire will examine the assumptions the team made between the first game and the sequel, how expectations changed through the public beta, and what lessons they learned after the game was released. The talk will focus on narrative design, combat design, the ship combat system, and the decision to fully voice all dialogue. The end of the post-mortem will deal with post-launch support, including patches, features, and other DLC content.

15:00-15:45, May 27th.

Oh damm, I live in Kraków. I will try to go next year. Anyway I will invite him for a beer
just don't say rpgcodex or he might assume you are a hired gun

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Please tell me there is not going to be Pellagina and Serafen in POE 3. One is the most boring companion ever another one is the most annoying (smelly cat dwarf pirate who hates slavery but loves dick).
Just hire mercs. Most of the companions in Deadfire suck.

2house2fly

Magister
This is probably nothing, but in The Ultimate Challenge folder it says this

It would be awesome if there was a secret megaboss you only encounter at the end of The Ultimate. Weren't there supposed to be five megabosses originally anyways?
The Final Megaboss is a buff applied to the Ukaizo Guardian, giving it extra HP, AR, accuracy, etc. The buff is applied once for each megaboss you defeat.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
That's still cool. Are you warned about it or do you only find out last second when the Ukaizo Guardian is suddenly five times stronger?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
They need to also learn not to explain their world too much because they are afraid the player might just not get it. Like three fucking intros before the game starts in deadfire. It's funny because it is probably caused by the feedback that story in first game was too confusing but that wasn't because they didn't tell enough about the setting. In fact both games have this disassociation where we are told too much about the world and not enough about the narrative taking place in it.

I hope they'll learn to stay away from pseudo-philosophical metaphysics as their plot and direct sequels. At the very least they should be aware by now they do best when they are doing contained, down-to-earth stories involving minute matters.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have now started playing the turn-based mod, after already playing through finished Deadfire at release. My biggest issue is that it's too slow especially on higher difficulties. Maybe my opinion changes at some point but I still believe that RTWP is more fun for Deadfire at least.
Though for something that was patched in after release it definitely is very impressive.

Tenebris

Scholar
Even with this new Woedica content you still aren't able to empower here in the end. I really hate how they made Berath the defacto leader of the Gods.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, the full voicing was a mistake, since they made PoE2 fully voiced, now with any Obsidian game even cRPGs, people will probably expect it to be fully voiced. All of streamers kept on praising it over and over as well so they will probably bitch about it if its not there.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There would have been nothing wrong with mixing a divine struggle with a mundane political one. But IIRC, they weren't mixed, they were separate - you didn't have different nations siding with one god or another. Which is just bizarre, wtf was that decision? Why do none of the rulers have a fanatical high priest whispering in their ear, or a mob of votaries to appease, or a religious military order...?

IIRC the only high priest in the game is that one dude in Ukaizo who dies of old age. Why did they have a game about Eothas where the only Eothasian zealots are a bunch of freelancers that kill themselves to dubious effect? It's been years and I am still so baffled by PoE2

It's as if a bunch of atheists made a game about gods only to have it totally hollowed out by their atheism, does that make sense? I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't have it so the only Eothasians in the game who want to take part in Eothas's agenda be some sort of morality tale about a suicide cult.

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, the full voicing was a mistake, since they made PoE2 fully voiced, now with any Obsidian game even cRPGs, people will probably expect it to be fully voiced. All of streamers kept on praising it over and over as well so they will probably bitch about it if its not there.

Full voice over is such a glow up tho and now that they're a Microsoft studio they should have way more actors than just Critical Role for Pillars III! (I would be living if they got AJ Michalka for the sequel as a Catra inspired companion)

Tenebris

Scholar

I just hope they don't pull the streamers get the game early stunt again.

Xeon

Augur
Full voice over is such a glow up tho and now that they're a Microsoft studio they should have way more actors than just Critical Role for Pillars III! (I would be living if they got AJ Michalka for the sequel as a Catra inspired companion)
Oh yeah, my bad. I forgot they sold to Microsoft and now they probably have all that Microsoft money for the extra bells and whistle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That doesn't mean they'll make another PoE to use that money on. I'd say nobody is going to allow them to do it after the financial disaster that is PoE2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom