Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Sentinel

Arcane

"Easier difficulties are important, but hardcore RPG players need a challenge."
Wow, really? He needed 20 years of game development to learn this lesson? Jesus christ. Also what a vacuous list. If that's all he learned from PoE2 then he learned nothing at all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
if having VO means they need to make each sentence count, then that ends up being in the plus column.

Quillon

Arcane
What Deadfire proved is that expectation for this type of game ain't real, if you wanna sell 1M+ units. So in hindsight we can safely say VO budget was a waste since whoever bought the game would also have bought it if it had partial VO.

The lesson to take: Move away from IE style. In addition to everything, they have a tarnished rep with it atm. They couldn't capture the magic in two games when Pathfinder did it right out of the gate while cutting corners in the "IE style".

RaptorRex888

Learned
IRPG's are never huge mainstream financial successes (D:OS 2 is an anomaly in this case, despite 90% of the casuals that bought not even progressing an hour into it, let alone finishing it) so to hope for anything like this to to progress past being a niche title is hopeful at best, stupid at worst.

I honestly don't think there will be a PoE 3, it doesn't fit into Microsoft's vision for the future of Obsidian. Outer Worlds is obviously trying to hone in on the disgruntled Fallout fans left in the cold after 4. I don't know about any of the other projects.

Quillon

Arcane
IRPG's are never huge mainstream financial successes (D:OS 2 is an anomaly in this case, despite 90% of the casuals that bought not even progressing an hour into it, let alone finishing it) so to hope for anything like this to to progress past being a niche title is hopeful at best, stupid at worst.

DoS is way more towards mainstream than IE to the bone 'cept ruleset PoE. And DoS2 rose on the shoulders of beloved DoS1 whilst PoE1 left a boring taste for many who bought it. If Obs are thinking they are the same style games and somehow Deadfire failed cos of this & that feature(f.i. "plot struggles" line in the tweet) being worse than DOS2, they are fools.

Yosharian

Arcane
If only there was some way to have some quality voice acting in order to introduce a character aurally to the player, but without having the massive time, budget and writing constraints that complete voice acting has?

If only, say, a character would say the first line of their dialogue voiced, but then the rest wasn't voiced, that would be the best of both worlds.

Oh well, I'm sure no game has ever used such a strategy successfully, and effectively laid the groundwork, set a template if you will, for other games to follow. No, that's definitely not happened, because then Obsidian would have followed in such a game's footsteps, surely? Obsidian's game would have been a sort of, spiritual successor, if you like, to that original, highly successful game. But since no such game exists, how could Obsidian possibly have known that full VO was a bad idea, and that there were other options that would work just as well, saving them time, money, and many headaches!

Indeed, let us congratulate Obsidian for having learned many important lessons from this project, lessons that they definitely couldn't have learned elsewhere, by paying attention to the historically successful games of the genre.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I should direct a different type of game next.

giphy.gif

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
As ever, Obs don't know who their audience is. They also learned the wrong lessons, except the challenge one. The thing is, though, that PoE2 was doomed the moment they released PoE1. Base game was such a boring, incoherent slog that had nothing to do with BG1 and I'm not surprised people dropped it faster than a hot potato.

volklore

Arcane
I would also rather have the VO money directed towards other things. But the reality is the bulk of the audience that, in the end, makes or break the success of a game, wants full voiceovers. Blaming full VO for failure of PoE2 is a meme really. Streamers and 'influencers' constantly rave about full VO - all the most upvoted youtube comments are those of people wanting full VO . Without full VO, PoE2 would probably have tanked even more. The main issue as is being mentioned, is that the setting was just a plain boring incoherent mess that required so much exposition in the first game than even the penultimate act of the game in loredump city(Twin Elms) was still 99% exposition. Nobody was left with any love for the setting after the first game and didn't want to spend 60+ extra hours in it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The bigger problem with the writing is the lack of a compelling story, or at least compellingly told story. PoE1 tried to cram too much stuff and everything ended up half-finished or irrelevant. The writing team should return to the basics, write short stories in which the plot is moved only by characters and their motivations, so they can understand how logical causal relationships work. I suspect PoE1's "mainstream" failure is mostly due to the writing since most people don't care about systems or gameplay all that much.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Another baffling thing is that they made this very fleshed-out setting, only for most of it to be generic. Why make all that effort just to go from vampire to fampyr?

Quillon

Arcane
I suspect PoE1's "mainstream" failure is mostly due to the writing since most people don't care about systems or gameplay all that much.

Everybody cares about gameplay & most people don't like isometric gameplay/games, some went so far to say "Obs' finally making a real game!" when they heard about TOW. Tho not everybody cares about in depth mechanics or if its D&D or PoE ruleset, yeah.

That said PoE1 while being successful, could have been so much more so if it wasn't for the sleep inducing narrative, hype was way too strong then...Obs just couldn't capitalize on it, or they thought they did whilst in truth they squeezed the last bit out of it & killed it :P

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect PoE1's "mainstream" failure is mostly due to the writing since most people don't care about systems or gameplay all that much.
Nah. PoE is simply a too complex game for most gamers. Or, let's say, it seems complex at first glance (you know, before you notice that you could as well randomize your stats and it would still work good enough).
Something like BG or BG2 also wouldn't be a mainstream success nowadays, either.

Of course, the writing did not help that much, either, but most people don't finish games anyway, so story is almost never the reason of the success or failure of a game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why did they sell 1 million copies of PoE1 if there wasn't some interest in isometric games? Yeah, I can believe that some of those copies were impulse purchases due to hype, but ~90% of them not buying/playing WM and ~75% not buying PoE2 is iffy and suspect.

Nah. PoE is simply a too complex game for most gamers. Or, let's say, it seems complex at first glance (you know, before you notice that you could as well randomize your stats and it would still work good enough).
Something like BG or BG2 also wouldn't be a mainstream success nowadays, either.

It has 5 difficulty modes though and 4 of those are ridiculously easy. I doubt most people put it on PotD immediately and then refused to restart on a lower difficulty due to pride.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom