Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I might see it that way if Valve decided to push out Team Fortress 3 after a decade of TF2, but Overwatch was only released three years ago and it was promoted as a 'sustainable' e-sports game. Maybe Overwatch 2 will be designed in such a way as to allow for the continuation of Overwatch but... who knows.

On both the mental and emotional levels, three years feels like about half a lifetime to Millennials.

Gerrard

Arcane
A retard planning to D1P Borderlands 3 on the Epic store thinks he is in any position to judge other people's purchases.
:hahyou:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Blizzard working on Diablo IV and Overwatch 2 (focusing this one on PvE content) at the same time

ayy lmao 100% real no fake 1 link

racofer

Thread Incliner
S1b0fOj.png

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Overwatch is a disappointment for e sports though. Cannot tell what the fuck is going on. Is worse than watching a Michael Bay movie. Maybe they will redesign the game to make it better for e sports.

racofer

Thread Incliner
RIP Overwatch:

INTRODUCING ROLE QUEUE

I sort of understand this for competitive mode, even though I believe it is retarded and it will break some creative team compositions like GOATS.

However, Blizzard plans to enforce role queues for quick play as well. This will only drive away the remaining casuals to other games where they can shoot stuff. Casuals will not settle for enforced team roles. Even TF2 never attempted something like that, and I recall the few servers that did, ended up rolling back or closing up shop because people just went someplace else.

:prosper:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, there will definitely be a shift in the playerbase but I don't see it as a death knell. Sure, all the FOREVER HANZO idiots will bail. I can easily see newer players queuing in and seeing the screen saying "keep waiting to play DPS or play as tank right now" ... and then more people start trying tank or support. In that light, this will be better for QP than for comp. And of course most veterans I've seen are fine covering any role anyway.

Quatlo

Arcane
Never would have thought I'd live the times where you need a fucking dungeon-finder mechanism for an FPS game.
This game is a joke.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Never would have thought I'd live the times where you need a fucking dungeon-finder mechanism for an FPS game.
This game is a joke.

The fuck? Every single team fps game has roles. You think tfc or quake ctf didn't have positions and characters assigned to people in competitive? Nice "fps pro" larp. This just makes it easier to explicitly state what you play in que for better matchmaking.

Quatlo

Arcane
This game is a joke.

The fuck? Every single team fps game has roles. You think tfc or quake ctf didn't have positions and characters assigned to people in competitive? Nice "fps pro" larp. This just makes it easier to explicitly state what you play in que for better matchmaking.
Yeah because forcing people into 2-2-2 because you can't balance the game around 3-2-1 meta for a year is a pinnacle of game design.
Blizzcucks at it again, forcing the metagame was the nail in the coffin of SC2

abija

Prophet

You wouldn't play those games competitive with automatic matchmaking. That's a hell of a difference.

And the tards that kept asking for this change never stop to think on the negative aspects. You won't be able to make up for a shit player. And no, the different ranks won't always help. It will be very common for someone to rank high on a different hero than the one is forced to play even in the same role. The only result, people that like to complain about shit will move to another "GAMEBREAKING ISSUE" that completely and utterly destroys their fun and ability to be brilliant.
Blizzard need to learn to stop knee jerk reactions to "first world issues" that put reddit/twitter/whatever the fuck social media platform on fire.

Whatever changes they feel are needed for OWL shouldn't always reflect on comp and especially not QP. It's definitely NOT the same game.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

You wouldn't play those games competitive with automatic matchmaking. That's a hell of a difference.

And the tards that kept asking for this change never stop to think on the negative aspects. You won't be able to make up for a shit player. And no, the different ranks won't always help. It will be very common for someone to rank high on a different hero than the one is forced to play even in the same role. The only result, people that like to complain about shit will move to another "GAMEBREAKING ISSUE" that completely and utterly destroys their fun and ability to be brilliant.
Blizzard need to learn to stop knee jerk reactions to "first world issues" that put reddit/twitter/whatever the fuck social media platform on fire.

Whatever changes they feel are needed for OWL shouldn't always reflect on comp and especially not QP. It's definitely NOT the same game.

You don't need to fix ALL problems with it - you just have to make it better, which it does. This does fix unwinnable throw and cheese goat comps. Yea you can still have suboptimal tanks like zarya/roadhog but it is still better then 4 dps. This isn't knee-jerk patch. Pro /serious comp players have been asking for this since release. The fuck are you on about.

Also can we stop with the myth that OWL strats only work in OWL? That is plain bullshit propagated by people that don't play comp or play below diamond or something. Every single meta like dive, beyblade, bunker, and goats has been the go to comp to switch when losing a game for easy win. Literally every gm game - lose one round, switch to goats, profit. Yea to utilise those comps to full advantage - you need a pro team, but you can yield benefits from it even with a bunch of randos qing in between faps.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
This game is a joke.

Yeah because forcing people into 2-2-2 because you can't balance the game around 3-2-1 meta for a year is a pinnacle of game design.
Blizzcucks at it again, forcing the metagame was the nail in the coffin of SC2

Yea putting constraints on complexity such as possible team comps is done to make balance possible. This is a very standard technique to limit complexity by reducing permutations. The fuck do you know about game design or programming.

abija

Prophet
You don't need to fix ALL problems with it - you just have to make it better, which it does. This does fix unwinnable throw and cheese goat comps. Yea you can still have suboptimal tanks like zarya/roadhog but it is still better then 4 dps. This isn't knee-jerk patch. Pro /serious comp players have been asking for this since release. The fuck are you on about.

Also can we stop with the myth that OWL strats only work in OWL? That is plain bullshit propagated by people that don't play comp or play below diamond or something. Every single meta like dive, beyblade, bunker, and goats has been the go to comp to switch when losing a game for easy win. Literally every gm game - lose one round, switch to goats, profit. Yea to utilise those comps to full advantage - you need a pro team, but you can yield benefits from it even with a bunch of randos qing in between faps.

Goats works cause it's easy, same with most tank heavy comps. Yeah when fizzled people in comp switch to whatever meta pros play, except it fails most of the time said meta requires actual mechanics or coordination. It's the same in every team game with an actual pro scene.

Forcing 2-2-2 because of goats (outside owl) is simply retarded. And in owl it should be only temporary until they find a way to fix it. (I didn't use retarded as a hyperbole, that's how it gets when devs are lazy and too dumb to think ahead on the consequences of their actions ).

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
At first glance I was reluctant too about the idea of forcing a 2-2-2 team composition in rankeds. But after pondering about it, I think it could work. The truth is that in Overwatch there's no viable compositions outside 2-2-2 (Let's leave aside the GOATS for a second). You cannot go with one healer, three dps and two tanks for example. It's not viable, none of the existing healers characters can maintain alive an entire team alone by himself. And in rankeds when someone picks a different characters ands breaks the 2-2-2 you start thinking he's trolling and throwing the game. The only composition viable outside the 2-2-2 is GOATS, and all thanks to a very specific character (Brigitte). Prior that, the standart meta was the dive comp, which was 2-2-2 (Winston, DVa, Genji, Tracer, Lucio, Zen). Now that they are closing the compositions it will be (Should be) way easier to balance the game and make each character viable. Also, with the role queue you will always play what you want to play. Someone changing to a role where he's less effective will be no more.

I'm optimistic about the recents decisions around the game.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Every single person in this thread, including me, is retarded.

I have been playing on PTR and the games are phenomenal in QP with role queue. It could just be that like-minded players are gathered together and this role queue will not translate to better games on mainline, but only time will tell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom